I need your help with excursions in Grand Cayman and Cozumel

sharkey001

Hi! We are sailing on Grandeur of the Seas and are going to do one excursion. So, I'm wondering which of these ports offers the most to do without doing an excursion. Like, is there a nice beach to go to within walking distance or a short cab ride, or maybe great shopping at one of these ports? If so, we will do something inexpensive in that port, and then do our excursion (beach something, if you have any suggestions for that as well) at the other place. We are going in early October.

Thanks for any suggestions!

sharkey,

You might also want to check the Ports of Call message board area - and under that look for the Caribbean section. There's lots of information about both destinations.

I'm going to be looking for the same information for a November cruise. But I've found lots of information on other ports in the Ports of Call area in the past.

In a nutshell - Grand Cayman offers shopping, the beach, or stingrays (unless you are a scuba diver). None of the above require a ship's excursion. There are local tour operators and taxis that can take you to the same things. It's the most over-rated port in the Caribbean IMO.

There is so much to do in Cozumel that there is no need for an excursion either. Most everything can be done on your own.

Caymans is a port that you can get off the ship and get great deals on tours, taxis to the beaches, stingray city,etc.

The pricing is very reasonable. For the beaches, they will fill a mini van up prior to leaving. At most, it took about 15 minutes or so.

As for shopping in the Caymans, I found it to be one of the most pricy islands around.

But be aware when there are several ships in port! On my last visit there, it was a madhouse in the port area and you could barely move about!

Cozumel is also a port that you can just wing it once arriving. There are shops in the port area (some things are pricy and others are reasonable). You can arrange for taxi service to one of the beach resorts or an island tour.

Still check out the port of call section to see which beach area would best suit you.

The more people with you, the cheaper the cost.

Now I have booked a ship tour from time to time in both ports, but they are ports where you really don't have to enjoy yourself!

Thanks so much for the advice! I have gone to the Port of Call message board and you are right, there is tons of info, but I will try to sort through it and figure out which is the closest distance, prettiest water, best drinks, and most fun of them all! HA! So, at least I know that I can find something on my own without going through the cruise line. Thanks again! ;)

Hey! My daughter did that last year and loved it, but she wanted to do something different this year. I'm thinking of renting a jeep and driving to some of the beaches, but still not sure which island, Cozumel or Grand Cayman, that I will do that on. But, we are leaving in a couple of weeks so I need to make a decision! :)

Archived