Tampa Cruise Terminal

NikKasey

The Tampa port is one of the easiest and most efficient ports in Florida.

If I could, I would take all my cruises out of there....

well, OK, I can just drive up there in 45 minutes, but even so...... :D

Sheraton Riverfront is a fine hotel. Are you driving from there, or taking transfers?

Either way, it will be a no-fuss, no-muss embarkation and debarkation.

Leaving out of Tampa for the first time Nov 14 on a Ryndam B2B. Have always left from other ports so any comments on the Tampa Cruise Terminal and the Sheraton Riverfront hotel ?

we're on the same cruise as you and booked this cruise primarily because of the ship and the port--we sailed from Tampa on the Ryndam last December. Tampa Cruise Terminal is, by far, the easiest port we've sailed from.If you have a car you drive up, valet helps unload and takes your car, and you're on board in the blink of an eye. When we returned my DH timed it--less than 20 minutes from the time we left our stateroom until we were in our car and on our way home. I highly recommend the valet parking--only a few dollars per day more. but, if you choose to self-park the garage is literally across the street. Can't speak to the hotels--we stay outside of Tampa and drive in that morning.

See you on board! (we also have a roll call going in the roll call section).

Des

I agree with all of the others that have stated Tampa being a wonderful port to cruise from. Easy to get to, easy to park and great valet service for not much more money. Makes it easy to pull up, give the bags to the porters, give the keys to the valet and let the vacation begin!!

I also stayed at the Embassy Suites - Downtown Convention Centre in Tampa pre-cruise. You can indeed take the trolley that runs from the hotel to the pier, or close to it.

http://embassysuites1.hilton.com/en_US/es/hotel/TPAESES-Embassy-Suites-Tampa-Downtown-Convention-Center-Florida/index.do

I chose to walk, and it was literally a ten-minute journey on foot from the hotel to the pier. Very convenient - then again, I found all of Tampa to be very convenient. Not a lot of traffic, an easy commute to the airport, friendly people, good facilities.

I'd gladly cruise out of Tampa any day.

In addition to the Embassy Suites Downtown Convention Center, you might consider the Marriott Waterside. It is pricier but a few steps closer to the cruise terminal. Glad most enjoy cruising out of Tampa - we love it and not just because it is close to home. The port personnel do a great job. And it is always fun to go under the Sunshine Skyway bridge. Happy cruising.

The Sheraton Riverfront is a great hotel and only a mile or so from the port.

Other Tampa hotels close to port include Marriott Waterside, Hilton Garden Inn (Ybor City), Embassy Suites (Convention Center), Hyatt (Downtown), Courtyard (Downtown).

I'd do a web search for prices if I was you.

You might want to call the Sheraton and check if they are still using it as overflow housing for students at the University of Tampa. They were a couple years ago but have since built a couple more dorms so this may not be the case now. I think they had a whole floor for students. If they are using it for student housing, I personally wouldn't want to stay there.

Everyone pretty much covered the close hotels. The Embassy Suites and Marriott at Channelside are very nice. The Hilton Garden Inn in Ybor City may have a shuttle. The Tampa History Museum has a small but nice outpost of the Columbia Restaurant. Order the Seventh Avenue Salad, Cuban Sandwich or Pork Sandwich (it's not barbecue) and a pitcher of sangria. The flan (custard) is awesome. The shops at Channelside have restaurants and a movie theatre. The Florida Aquarium is enjoyable. Across the bridge on Harbour Island is a Westin Hotel. There is a restaurant called Jackson's that is fun to happy hour and watch the sunset. If you want to shop see if your hotel has a shuttle to International Plaza (borders airport property). There are lots of stores and restaurants and a Renaissance Tampa International Plaza Hotel.

Have fun!

OK - ditto on the nice, compact, comparatively uncrowded cruise port in Tampa... It's really a NICE Place as opposed to a 'port' that has one REALLY NICE facet (me getting on a cruise ship). Others have mentioned the decent hotels in the vacinity, but...

Downtown Tampa is a really quiet - not much to do place. OK adjacent Ybor has night life, and there's the aquarium and Bush Gardens, but the downtown proper isn't resided in by hardly anyone so its dead as a cemetary at night. If you are going to Tampa 'for a few nights' (meaning you'll likely have a rental car) then I'd stay out on the superb beaches of Pinellas County. Breakfast at the Sea Horse on Pass-a-Grille. Go up to Tarpon Springs and eat Greek marinated ship at Paul's on Dodeconese St. Pinellas is a bed room community itself with a lot of draw of its own. If it were me, I'd stay out on the beaches and commute to Tampa over the Howard Franklin Bridge (or the Gandy or the Courtney Campbell) unless I had particular things anchoring me to Tampa.

Just one person's opinion... But now I've probably made it more confusing... Sorry. Enjoy the Bay area. Go Bucs!

Finally - one very cool aspect of cruising from Tampa is clearing the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. You pass very slowly through the bay approaching the bridge, then when your pilot has the bridge all properly lined up, he 'floors it' and you zip under. Ryndam isn't quite as tall as some local ships - but I'm looking forward to it! On Carnival Miracle, the Captain indicated the funnel clearance was like 20-22 feet depending on tides. From down on the deck it looked like they might take paint off! :D

Downtown Tampa is a really quiet - not much to do place. OK adjacent Ybor has night life, and there's the aquarium and Bush Gardens, but the downtown proper isn't resided in by hardly anyone so its dead as a cemetary at night.

Living in Tampa and working in downtown, I have to take *some* exception of this. Downtown is still pretty quiet but with the 2 new condo towers (Skypoint and Element), there are many more people around these days - lots of dog walkers. Quite a few new restaurants as well. There are also quite a number of people living in the Channelside area as well so lots more to do than there used to. We are all thankful that downtown is NOT like Ybor at night - who needs that - and that is just my opinion.

Doug

I liked sailing out of Tampa. I agree with the other posters. It is easy and it's interesting sailing out of that port because there's so much to look at and it takes a while. Also, you get to sail under the Sunshine Skyway bridge when exiting Tampa Bay.

5Day038.jpg

• 10 months later...
Courtyard (Downtown).

How convenient is Courtyard St. Petersburg to HAL pier? I've booked a good rate for a Jan. Ryndham sailing I'm consiering but if what I save will be spent in taxis to airport and to pier I might as well stay at Courtyard Tampa Downtown. Opinions?

Sailed out of Tampa last March on Ryndam with my mother-in-law. The ease of getting to the pier is terrific. My husband drove us up, dropped us at the curb, and we were checked in within 15 minutes. We were early so had to wait until 11:30 a.m. to board. Loved it!

Someone mentioned that HAL will be using a different cruise terminal this year. I don't know how true this is.

But you might want to call HAL and find out what Cruise Terminal HAL will use in Tampa.

Not a different pier, just a "remodelled" facility according to this thread which I posted a while back:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1401323&highlight=tampa

Archived