Upgrading to a HC room

Bookworm1985

I am going on a cruise in January with my husband, my husband's parents and sister, my best friend and her husband, and two other really good friends. We already have all our rooms booked and ready to go (I am the "official" organizer of this trip). My one friend, who is in the room with the one friend and my husband's sister, has cerebal palsy (sp?) She is pretty moblie when she has her canes and braces, but does use a wheelchair when she knows that she is going to be walking long distances or will need to stand for long periods of time or when her legs just won't support her (they are very weak). When we booked the cruise several months ago, she opted for a regular room, knowing that she was most likely just going to leave her wheelchair at home because she thought it would be more trouble then it was worth. Since then though, her physical therapy isn't helping with her muscles as much as she would like, and she is relying more and more on her chair for assistance. She thinks that it would be better for her to bring the chair then put the extra strain on her legs for the trip. Our problem though is we don't know if we should see about getting her an "upgrade" to an accessible room. Since she can walk for short distance and go up a few stairs with assisstance, we don't want to take the room away from someone who is completly chair bound. However, she really thinks that bringing the chair will be best for her. I wanted to get some advice on what others (not related to the situation)think before we call Carnival to see about making the change. So far, only me and her have talked about it, because she doesn't want others to know yet how bad her PT is doing.

I am kind of puzzled by your concept of an HC room. In my understanding, the room is modified so that it can accommodate a wheelchair/scooter, with wider doorway, turning space inside, no step up into the bathroom, larger shower with seat, etc. It is not necessarily closer to the elevators. In fact, some are all the way forward on the ship, making long distances to walk...In addition, finding an HC cabin that will accommodate three people may be a problem. HC cabins are usually booked waayyy in advance, because there are so few. EM

Most people who need HC cabins book at least a year in advance as there are so few HC Cabins on each ship. If this is something that your friend needs you better call the cruise line ASAP as you may be too late to book an HC cabin. As a previous poster stated HC cabins are not always in the most desirable location.

An HC cabin is only considered an upgrade if it's in a higher catagory than what your friend already booked. If one is available in the same catagory than it's just a change in cabin.

Note Carnival has two types of HC cabins

Fully accessible cabins: these cabins have an approximate 32" entry doorway into the cabin and cabins bathroom. There are no lips into the bathroom. They have roll-in showers with fold-down shower seats. Additionally, there is a full turnaround space of approximately 60" x 60" in the cabin and as well as in cabin bathroom. These cabins are reserved for our guests who use a wheelchair, with limited or no mobility, or guests who use motorized scooters.

Modified Cabins: these cabins have been modified from our standard cabins to include wider entry doorways. The cabin entry measures approximately 29". The cabin bathroom entry ranges from 22" to 29", with a lip ranging from 3.5" to 8" into the bathroom. These cabins are reserved for our guests who use a wheelchair for distance or guests with mobility.

A HC cabin isn't considered an "upgrade"....it's designed so that a wheelchair user can get around independantly in their room. Roll-in shower, grab bars for support, usually a higher toilet....

HC cabins come in many catagories, from inside cabins to balconies.....if she needs the wheelchair, she should certainly get a room designed to handle it. Most cabins are so small, that using a wheelchair in the cabin is impossible...and little space to store it!

If there are not unbooked HC cabins in your category, you would have to pay the going rate for the higher category ...they wouldnt upgrade you for free. I hope prices havent gone up a lot.

We only had one modified cabin, but even that was nicer, but still had a partial step up into the bathroom. Especially on older Carnival ships, that step up into the bathroom is hard if you are HC.

I would call and find out what your options are. Im not sure which ship, so its hard to be too specific. Carnival isnt known for making HC cabins bigger like RCL does.

Your friend should not feel guilty about needing a handicap-accessible cabin. With what you've described as her disability and level of disability, the accessible features of such a cabin, including the space for her wheelchair, will certainly make the cruise easier for her. She definitely should call right away and see if she can be moved into one, though -- they're pretty scarce on any cruise ship, and may already be taken.

Let us know what happens!

Well, they did have a room available, but it was only a double person room, and we needed it for three people. My friend said that she can make do with a regular cabin, but we are wondering if we should rent her a small scooter or something that we can store in one of the rooms (all the people in our group are happy to store it in our two person rooms so the three would have any easier time getting around...It will already be hard enough in there without a scooter in there as well). She is just wondering if it would be worth the cost. She has a non power chair that she can bring that folds up, but that would require someone else to push it, and she wants to be able to get around on her own. Her own scooter is too big to get in the door. Has anyone ever rented one?

If you ask on the HC threads, Im sure someone can provide the name of a rental company if she decides to rent.

I would be fine with pushing someone around, but depends on the person in question and how much they do on their own.... one can be rented however, and it will be delivered.

Any scooters I have seen will not fit thru a regular door ...it would have to be left in the hallway in people's way.

Well, they did have a room available, but it was only a double person room, and we needed it for three people. My friend said that she can make do with a regular cabin, but we are wondering if we should rent her a small scooter or something that we can store in one of the rooms (all the people in our group are happy to store it in our two person rooms so the three would have any easier time getting around...It will already be hard enough in there without a scooter in there as well). She is just wondering if it would be worth the cost. She has a non power chair that she can bring that folds up, but that would require someone else to push it, and she wants to be able to get around on her own. Her own scooter is too big to get in the door. Has anyone ever rented one?

You need to check with Carnival to see which company(s) they deal with to provide mobility equipment. Many lines now will only do business with one or two providers.

And then you need to try to rent the smallest scooter available (dependent on her size and weight), and find out if it will go thorugh the door. Some of the small travel scooters will fit..but they're really only for lighter weight people.

Is there no way that you can re-configure the sleeping arrangements, giving her just one cabinmate, and the extra third person sleep elsewhere? That really would be the better option.

If you can't rent a small scooter, then by all means she should bring her manual wheelchair.

I also replied to you on the Disabled Forum before ever reading this post. Refer to the disabled forum for my reply regarding scooter rental.

Is the third person sleeping in a pullman ( a bed that pull and forms a bunk bed) or on a fold out sofa ? If it's fold out sofa there will absolutely be no way to store a scooter in the cabin. The Cruise line requires that all mobility equipment be stored in the cabin and not out in the hallway. Though you other friends have offered to store the scooter , they just might be surprised how much of an inconveniecne that will be even with 2 people in the cabin unless someone in the group has booked a larger cabin or possibly a suite.

A scooter definitely give your friend more independence especially on the ship. However a folding wheelchair is more practical if your have booked any shore excursions. Reason being it's highly unlikely that the tour buses will have lifts. Also even if the tour bus has a lower cargo hold, it's up to the decretion of the bus driver if they will load the scooter as cargo. For this reason even if someone rents a scooter they also bring along their foldable wheelchair.

As Uppitycats suggested is there any way to reconfigure the sleeping arrangement and one person change into another cabin ?

I was hoping that my in-laws would allow there daugter to room with them, but it looks like they aren't too thrilled with that idea. The other room is my best friend and her husband, and this is their honeymoon. They got married awhile ago, but never got to have one do to work and money issues, so I won't even ask them to. The only other option is my room, and frankly, this is one of the last times that I will see my husband before he deploys to Afghanistan, so I don't really want to deal with having a third person in my room either. The way it is now is they have a upper in the room that friend #3 was going to sleep on, with my sister-in-law and friend with CP on the bottom. It would have worked too if it weren't for my friend's PT not going as planned. It really sucks that Carnival (and all other cruise lines at that) can't make more HC rooms for thier guests, and ones that will hold more than two people at that too. The good thing is that my friend is tiny...like five-three and maybe 115, so a smaller scooter could work for her. At least the good thing is we still have four months to try to iron out all the details. Maybe my in-laws will reconsider having their daughter room with them. That to me seems like the best option, but then again, they might not feel the same. If only we could have forseen this when we booked the cruise, we could have tried to get a bigger HC room to begin with.

It really sucks that Carnival (and all other cruise lines at that) can't make more HC rooms for thier guests, and ones that will hold more than two people at that too. .

I know uppidty cats sees posts like I see all the time because she posts on them too. There are always posts from folks who book HC cabins, who are not HC, because they have more space or whatever. One lady was like she loved the fold down shower chair to shave her legs. There are people who book these HC cabins, in the hope the cruiseline will move them and they will get a free upgrade at the worst.

I see it all the time

Did you ask to be wait listed for a HC cabin that can accommodate 3 ? Since the cruise is 4 months away there's always a chance that one will become available.

Also did you call the Special Needs Department and speak to them directly ? If not than definitely try that and be very blunt that that you know able body people book HC rooms only to have extra space and do not have any special needs requirements. That perhaps they can check and reassign the cabin to you.

Also what about your friend paying the solo fare for a cabin of her own ? If her parents don't want her in their room maybe they'll pay the difference to have her travel solo.

Hi, I'm new to this but may be able to help. We rented a scooter for my husband on our cruise to Barcelona last year. It was waiting in our cabin when we boarded and we left it when we disembarked. It was wonderful and freed him up to be on his own. Cruise ships involve a lot of walking! He enjoyed using it so much we purchased one after we returned and now take our own aboard the ship. On one cruise our agent didn't get us a HC room and we ended up parking the scooter in the hallway during the day and wheeling it into the cabin at night. Hope this helps.

Quilt-n-cruise

Hi, I'm new to this but may be able to help. We rented a scooter for my husband on our cruise to Barcelona last year. It was waiting in our cabin when we boarded and we left it when we disembarked. It was wonderful and freed him up to be on his own. Cruise ships involve a lot of walking! He enjoyed using it so much we purchased one after we returned and now take our own aboard the ship. On one cruise our agent didn't get us a HC room and we ended up parking the scooter in the hallway during the day and wheeling it into the cabin at night. Hope this helps.

Quilt-n-cruise

The general policy is to NOT let people park the scooter in the hallway, either during the day or at night. It is a safety hazard for one -- if there is an emergency and people have to evacuate that hallway (or the ship), the scooter will be seriously in the way. And having your scooter parked in the hallway means that other people who use scooters or chairs cannot get down the hallway.

Once upon a time cruiselines were lax about this, and indeed let folks do it. But they're taking these safety precautions much more seriously these days.

Quilt-n-cruise

As Uppitycats has already stated storing scooters in the Hallways is NOT allowed. By doing so you are placing anyone else needing access to the hallways in harms way. The OP is going on Carnival and their polict regarding Scooters is as follows. ( This was copied directly from Carnival's website http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/cruise_control/EMB_guest_specials_requirements.aspx )

Mobility Scooters: Passenger scooters must be stored and batteries recharged in your cabin. Due to safety considerations, wheelchairs and scooters cannot be stored in the corridors. Your personal scooter should be able to fit in a standard cabin: a 21" entry doorway. If your scooter is larger than 21", you must purchase a modified cabin or rent a smaller scooter. Segways and other similar vehicles are not permitted on board our vessels.

At certain ports of call, small boats known as tenders are used to transport passengers from the ship to shore. Certain of these tenders may not be accessible to individuals using wheelchairs and mobility scooters, or the status of the tendering process at a particular port under certain weather, sea, swell, current and/or tide conditions may prove difficult for a safe transfer to take place. In each case, it will be the decision of the ship officials to determine, based on their evaluation of safety issues for our guests and crew, whether or not a guest using a wheelchair may board a tender. In order to safely board tenders, guests must be able to take steps and use a collapsible, fold up wheelchair; motorized wheelchairs and mobility scooters cannot be taken on tenders. *Note-Tendering ports are: Cabo San Lucas, Catalina California, Catalina Island Dominican Republic, Cannes France, Belize, Half Moon Cay Bahamas, Grand Cayman, Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa (Mexico), Kona (Hawaii), Lahaina (Hawaii), Newport Rhode Island, Sitka (Alaska) Possible Tender: Cozumel , Ketchikan Alaska, Dubrovnik Croatia, Katakolon Greece.

Sorry for my ignorance about calling it an upgrade. I couldn't think of a better word to use at the time I first posted this. I figured that most people would understand what I meant...guess I was wrong.

Thats OK. We are had to learn the lingo here. By all means call and see if you can get your friend a handicapped cabin. After all its only a phone call and you will be surprise how easy it is most of the times to find that there is a HC Cabin available.

Archived