E-docs (mis)information and onboard expense settlement

bertrande

With 3 weeks to go before we head off for our cruise on the Equinox, I printed our e-docs for 2 separate reservations, the first for DH and I, and the second for my mom, who only a fortnight ago decided to cruise with us. Upon checking the e-docs, I came across some very strange inconsistencies and I'm not quite sure what to do!

In July, I had made reservations for DH and I to dine at both Tuscan Grille and Murano. Our credit card was consequently charged with the fee (US$130) in July, and the credit card statement proves that the charge went through. Last week, I managed to include my mom in the reservation for the Tuscan Grille (and her credit card was charged for the reservation) but didn't manage to amend the Murano reservation so I intended to go to the restaurant directly to amend the reservation after boarding. The information I get from both our online accounts reflects this (i.e., that DH and I have reservations at Murano and Tuscan Grille, and my mom has a reservation at the Tuscan Grille).

Both sets of e-docs say something very different! Our e-docs say we have no enhancements booked (so no reservation appears) but my mom's e-docs say that she has BOTH Tuscan Grille and Murano booked! I'm stumped, to say the least. :confused: Anyway, I decided to print out the "purchased products" page of my account to show Celebrity that I had indeed made the booking, just in case we find out on board that the booking was not made. What confused me even further is that the printout shows that the credit card payments for my restaurant reservations were authorised on 9 September 2010 (i.e. today), even though the fees were actually charged in July. The credit card authorisation dates for my shore excursions look unaffected so I know it's just the restaurant reservation authorisation dates that are affected.

Has anyone had this experience before? I'm going to monitor my credit card over the next week to see if Celebrity is going to do a double-charge, but I'm flabbergasted at the inaccurate information that's printed in BOTH sets of e-docs and I'm not sure if any clarification needs to be made on my end.

Separately, does anyone know if Celebrity will let you settle your onboard expense account in both cash and card, notwithstanding that you've elected to settle it with a credit card? Just wondering whether I can use excess USD at the end of the cruise to settle part of the expenses before charging the rest to the card (I've already provided Celebrity with the card details during online check-in).

Thanks and apologies for the long post - I'm still a little stunned at what I'm seeing on the two sets of e-docs at the moment.

Separately, does anyone know if Celebrity will let you settle your onboard expense account in both cash and card, notwithstanding that you've elected to settle it with a credit card? Just wondering whether I can use excess USD at the end of the cruise to settle part of the expenses before charging the rest to the card (I've already provided Celebrity with the card details during online check-in).

Thanks and apologies for the long post - I'm still a little stunned at what I'm seeing on the two sets of e-docs at the moment.

Hi,

You can pay off any amount of your seapass account before you disembark.

I usually pay most of it before I leave the ship, but don't leave it till the last day the queues are horrendous, I usually do it on the last sea day

before dinner, the Guest relations desk is usually very quiet then.

The great thing about X is that you can keep a tab of your spends through the interactive TV.

As for the rest of your question, I would suggest you call Celebrity and sort it out with them.

Did that yesterday - the first person I spoke with insisted she couldn't help me because I had booked through a TA (this was for reservations made by us through Celebrity's online website and paid directly to Celebrity by us). Somehow the line went dead while she was transferring me to her supervisor so I had to to call again. The second lady I spoke with was super helpful and helped us with everything we needed to know. So (hopefully) all is settled now.

...Separately, does anyone know if Celebrity will let you settle your onboard expense account in both cash and card, notwithstanding that you've elected to settle it with a credit card? Just wondering whether I can use excess USD at the end of the cruise to settle part of the expenses before charging the rest to the card (I've already provided Celebrity with the card details during online check-in)...

Yes - we've done this with leftover Euros on a TA cruise. But don't wait until the last minute. The last time we tried this was on our last TA and we waited until after dinner the last night and they said the bank was already closed out for the foreign exchange and that they could no longer do this. Seems like it would be less of an issue with USD since the ship runs on USD, but just the same I'd pay down the balance with excess cash as soon as you know you have extra - even if you do it in a couple steps. You can apply cash against the account anytime not just at the end of the crusie - I know this as I've applied cash against relatives accounts mid-cruise before.

Did you reprint your e-docs? If so, do the changes show up?

No when I look at my e-docs, the changes still don't show up (unfortunately). But I read somewhere that the e-docs are not strictly necessary to bring on board so maybe it doesn't matter? In any case, I'm bringing the summary of purchased items and relying on what the guest relations officer over at Celebrity said she saw on her system, which happened to be correct. Fingers crossed!

Yes - we've done this with leftover Euros on a TA cruise. But don't wait until the last minute. The last time we tried this was on our last TA and we waited until after dinner the last night and they said the bank was already closed out for the foreign exchange and that they could no longer do this. Seems like it would be less of an issue with USD since the ship runs on USD, but just the same I'd pay down the balance with excess cash as soon as you know you have extra - even if you do it in a couple steps. You can apply cash against the account anytime not just at the end of the crusie - I know this as I've applied cash against relatives accounts mid-cruise before.

That is wonderful news and so on point. Thank you very much, Larry. I'm glad to hear this can be done because I think we've changed far too much USD and Euros at this moment in time!

Thanks, Larry. This looks like the ideal way to get rid of unwanted leftover foreign currency.

At foreign airports, we sometimes noticed boxes from local charities where people would contribute their leftover currency before boarding the plane. Never noticed them at cruise ports though. Then there is the question of whether it is really a legitimate charity or a scam.

I had a similar situation-- my e-docs didn't show all of my shore excursions. When I called Celebrity, the explanation was something to the effect that the e-docs had been completed earlier (possibly when I did the online check-in) and are not changed once completed. In other words, nothing purchased after that time would show up on the e-docs. But Celebrity had a record of all the excursions purchased, and sent me an e-mail to that effect.

I had a similar situation-- my e-docs didn't show all of my shore excursions. When I called Celebrity, the explanation was something to the effect that the e-docs had been completed earlier (possibly when I did the online check-in) and are not changed once completed. In other words, nothing purchased after that time would show up on the e-docs. But Celebrity had a record of all the excursions purchased, and sent me an e-mail to that effect.

Thanks, ladyinr3d. It's comforting to know I'm not alone in this. As long as Celebrity's system shows my reservations, I'm happy, although the dates for the credit card authorisations were well after my initial online check-in (did it twice after I purchased stuff a second time), so not sure what's their policy on completion of e-docs.

Archived