Mexico

smrn

Couldn't agree more.

Me too.

Border towns are the problematic areas for violence, not tourist-dominated ocean villages and cities that cruiselines frequent.

The average Mexican would be more concerned about doing the right thing than most Americans.:rolleyes:

I agree with this as well.

But, if someone feels uncomfortable about going to a certain place, the truth is that they really shouldn't go. What I don't think is right is fear mongering....The media is mostly to blame...the peole who trust everything they read or hear in the media without looking into it for themselves are then to blame.

But, if someone feels uncomfortable about going to a certain place, the truth is that they really shouldn't go. What I don't think is right is fear mongering....The media is mostly to blame...the peole who trust everything they read or hear in the media without looking into it for themselves are then to blame.

Actually the media is pretty clear cut on where the violence takes place.......but I believe some people are geologically challenged.

However the crime that is happening in Mexico is in no way or should be compared to the crime that happens in the U.S. While some people are geologically challenged others are just ignorant.......

And I agree........if you don't feel comfortable.....don't go.....

Actually the media is pretty clear cut on where the violence takes place.......but I believe some people are geologically challenged.

However the crime that is happening in Mexico is in no way or should be compared to the crime that happens in the U.S. While some people are geologically challenged others are just ignorant.......

LOL -- are you talking about the people that don't realize that New Mexico is part of the US?

It would be nice if people actually looked at the map. Here in San Antonio, I'm a lot closer to the border than Cozumel is.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=113009361404807455418.00049052dbda8c1cc1e96&t=h&z=5

LOL -- are you talking about the people that don't realize that New Mexico is part of the US?

It would be nice if people actually looked at the map. Here in San Antonio, I'm a lot closer to the border than Cozumel is.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=113009361404807455418.00049052dbda8c1cc1e96&t=h&z=5

One of the funniest things I have had in my few years of LE, was stopping an American gentleman near the Canadian/US Border in Saskatchewan. I asked him where he was headed. He told me he hoped to make it to Alaska before it was dark. It was about two hours before sunset.

Here the guy did not have a North American map just a US map so the canadian portion basically did not exist. To his calculations it was about 100 miles to the Alaskan Border instead of the 2500 miles.

The look on his face was priceless.

and geographically challenged, to boot!

Geography aside, if you are murdered in the US, you are just as dead as someone murdered in Mexico. And how many people are killed by drunk drivers in the US each year?

and geographically challenged, to boot!

Geography aside, if you are murdered in the US, you are just as dead as someone murdered in Mexico. And how many people are killed by drunk drivers in the US each year?

LOL! Yes that too:p

So you are comparing the drug cartel in Mexico to drunk drivers:confused:

Confused what rock formations have to do with it.

Wow...I received more replies that I bargained for!

Thanks all!

I think most will go, but one will stay on board. Her husband used to work in Mexico and was witness to violence at one point. I agree that if she is that scared she should stay on board. She almost didn't come due to her fear, so this is a big step for her.

Happy sailing all...to Mexico or anywhere!

:D

LOL! Yes that too:p

So you are comparing the drug cartel in Mexico to drunk drivers:confused:

A cartel is really just another word for gang and there is no lack of drug related gang violence in the US. At least they usually somewhat discriminate who the victims are.

With drunk drivers, it is pretty much random and could easily include tourists.

Confused what rock formations have to do with it.

LOL! Yes.....along long time ago.........:p

Wow...I received more replies that I bargained for!

Thanks all!

I think most will go, but one will stay on board. Her husband used to work in Mexico and was witness to violence at one point. I agree that if she is that scared she should stay on board. She almost didn't come due to her fear, so this is a big step for her.

Happy sailing all...to Mexico or anywhere!

:D

That's great! I'm sure you all will have a great time!

A cartel is really just another word for gang and there is no lack of drug related gang violence in the US. At least they usually somewhat discriminate who the victims are.

With drunk drivers, it is pretty much random and could easily include tourists.

Good then you know the comparison is apples to oranges......and while we all know about the gang violence in the U.S. it is not even the slightest bit comparable to what is happening in Mexico......and what is happening to the poor citizens of that country......

Good then you know the comparison is apples to oranges......and while we all know about the gang violence in the U.S. it is not even the slightest bit comparable to what is happening in Mexico......and what is happening to the poor citizens of that country......

It is because of America's addiction to drugs that all that violence is happening across the border. You can't separate the two.

It is because of America's addiction to drugs that all that violence is happening across the border. You can't separate the two.

My arguement is the downplaying of the violence in Mexico......and being compared to gangs in the U.S.......not even remotely the same.......our gangs are killing each other......sure people get killed in the crossfire.....the Mexican Cartel's agenda is to take over the country......

My arguement is the downplaying of the violence in Mexico......and being compared to gangs in the U.S.......not even remotely the same.......our gangs are killing each other......sure people get killed in the crossfire.....the Mexican Cartel's agenda is to take over the country......

:rolleyes: Is that what Fox News is claiming now? :rolleyes:

There is more than one Mexican Cartel and their agenda is to eliminate the competition. Without the US demand for drugs, they would have no funding.

While on a different scale, it is really no different than local gang turf wars. Eventually they will decide how to divide the turf up and the violence will decline.

You are correct. There is a war and Mexico fired thousands of its police for corruption. The US has stated in the strongest terms that the corruption is rampant and that innocent people (yes you too) are being attacked, kidnapped, and murdered.

Note that I will be in Mexico in a few days and that we intend to be extremely cautious. We have spent many decades in other countries including some of the more sensitive middle east ones.

Nonetheless, the holier than thou comments by some people who think that they are sophisticated travelers and who make fun of those who are concerned for their safety concerns me. It is only by collective action that we can protect ourselves by informing and protecting others. The Mexican war may well further spill into further, and massive, attacks against tourists in an effort to topple the fragile existing government.

For those who need facts, search them out on reliable news sources, including international ones (BBC is good).

God Bless America.

:rolleyes: Is that what Fox News is claiming now? :rolleyes:

There is more than one Mexican Cartel and their agenda is to eliminate the competition. Without the US demand for drugs, they would have no funding.

While on a different scale, it is really no different than local gang turf wars. Eventually they will decide how to divide the turf up and the violence will decline.

Nope.......not the news......

Yes the scale is very different in Mexico....... when the crypts and bloods start assassinating our mayors, and total police forces in our towns resign so our soldiers start taking over.......and when the crypts and bloods start infiltrating our soldiers and government officials among other , and when they start scaling the walls of our prisons........sure then we will talk similarities:rolleyes:

As far as the U.S. fueling this I have no arguement there.......but I won't get into politics.......

You are correct. There is a war and Mexico fired thousands of its police for corruption. The US has stated in the strongest terms that the corruption is rampant and that innocent people (yes you too) are being attacked, kidnapped, and murdered.

Note that I will be in Mexico in a few days and that we intend to be extremely cautious. We have spent many decades in other countries including some of the more sensitive middle east ones.

Nonetheless, the holier than thou comments by some people who think that they are sophisticated travelers and who make fun of those who are concerned for their safety concerns me. It is only by collective action that we can protect ourselves by informing and protecting others. The Mexican war may well further spill into further, and massive, attacks against tourists in an effort to topple the fragile existing government.

For those who need facts, search them out on reliable news sources, including international ones (BBC is good).

God Bless America.

They are not targeting tourists.......and Mexico is a very large country.

I have no problem visiting the ports and tourist areas of Mexico.....

My problem is how people downplay what is happening over there......

God Bless America.

Careful you don't get hurt hopping down off that soapbox. :cool:

Nope.......not the news......

Yes the scale is very different in Mexico....... when the crypts and bloods start assassinating our mayors, and total police forces in our towns resign so our soldiers start taking over.......and when the crypts and bloods start infiltrating our soldiers and government officials among other , and when they start scaling the walls of our prisons........sure then we will talk similarities:rolleyes:

As far as the U.S. fueling this I have no arguement there.......but I won't get into politics.......

They are not targeting tourists.......and Mexico is a very large country.

I have no problem visiting the ports and tourist areas of Mexico.....

My problem is how people downplay what is happening over there......

I agree on not arguing politics, and that Mexico is a large country and cruising (99.99% anyways) does not go anyway near these areas. I certainly don't think I downplay the seriousness of what is going on (you did not say that I did, but others have alluded to it). You are also correct that they are taking it to a whole new level (in terms of how viscous it is....although any violence is bad)

Archived