Mexico

smrn

Hi all,

I am sailing soon, with a friend, on the Destiny to Key West and Cozumel. I am trying to get some of the other girls at work to sign up, but they have heard so much bad news about the violence in Mexico, they are scared. What can I say to them to convince them that Coz is safe? Any ideas?

If their minds are made up, there probably isnt anything to convince them.

Id tell them to stay in the port area and shop. That area is super protected. Some people stay on the ship. I would never talk someone into going out into the countryside who was uncomfortable.

Hi all,

I am sailing soon, with a friend, on the Destiny to Key West and Cozumel. I am trying to get some of the other girls at work to sign up, but they have heard so much bad news about the violence in Mexico, they are scared. What can I say to them to convince them that Coz is safe? Any ideas?

You can tell them that none of the violence is anywhere near Cozumel.

Hi all,

Tell them if they are not presently a member of a drug cartel, they have nothing to fear.

All the bad press is about rival gangs fighting one another. No one is holding cruisers for ransom or anything. Never heard Cozumel mentioned as a trouble spot. Tell your friends to look into it, maybe visit the State Dept. website for the facts. Then they won't be scared.

Tell them if they are not presently a member of a drug cartel, they have nothing to fear.

All the bad press is about rival gangs fighting one another. No one is holding cruisers for ransom or anything. Never heard Cozumel mentioned as a trouble spot. Tell your friends to look into it, maybe visit the State Dept. website for the facts. Then they won't be scared.

I agree. The violence is not directed toward tourists.

Cozumel is a safe little island - your friends should be more concerned with drowning and vehicle accidents than with drug cartel violence. Those are the REAL hazards. Cozumel is a beautiful island that is a perennial favorite among cruisers. Your friends can certainly choose to stay on the ship, but it would be their loss.

We have been to Cozumel twice this year with no problems at all.

Same here and going again in a matter of days.

The violence you hear about is in the border towns for the most part. Cozumel, Playa Del Carmen, Cancun, Costa Maya, Etc. are so far from there. Just look at a map. The above tourist areas are protected as they thrive on tourist dollars. Just follow many of the same rules you would in any other major city (even in the USA). Stay in a group, Stay in lit places, Stay in tourist areas, Be aware of your sorroundings and plan an escape if needed.

We've been to Cozumel twice... and we'll be there again next week!

We've never felt unsafe... never seen anything that would worry anybody!!

We usually just wander around the town, sit in a pavement cafe, have a cold beer, and people-watch!

If your friends want to get off the ship and are nervous about just wandering, they can go on a Carnival-organised excursion.

Cozumel is one of our favourite ports!!

You're right, Coz is really dangerous. Your DW will spend all your money shopping for bargains, and us DH's will spend all our money on any/all specialty drinks in Sr Frog's or on the other side of the island!!!!!!!!!!

Gee.........maybe dangerous isnt the right word...........FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:o:o:o

Thanks, I'm pretty sure none are in a drug cartel :), and that is a great idea to visit the state department for info!

Thanks, I'm pretty sure none are in a drug cartel :), and that is a great idea to visit the state department for info!

I just checked out www.state.gov and as I expected, the trouble spots are nowhere near the cruise port of Cozumel. It may as well be on another continent.

I was surprised to read how bad the situation has become in Monterrey. Lots of shootings and kidnappings going on... I would not set foot in that city right now as an American.

I once had a job and would fly to our facility in Monterrey, and just loved every moment of it. The beauty of the land, the culture, and of course the awesome food! It is very sad that it has gotten to where it is. I think there are two causes: high demand for their products (legalizing it would help a lot on that score) and a terrible economy, so the average cop or soldier can have a better life for his family by working for the cartel. Untill he is killed by the rival cartel. Let's hope that action will be taken or it will only get worse... and come to every corner of Mexico and then to the USA.

But for now, party on in Cozumel, you are safe!

I just checked out www.state.gov and as I expected, the trouble spots are nowhere near the cruise port of Cozumel. It may as well be on another continent.

I was surprised to read how bad the situation has become in Monterrey. Lots of shootings and kidnappings going on... I would not set foot in that city right now as an American.

I once had a job and would fly to our facility in Monterrey, and just loved every moment of it. The beauty of the land, the culture, and of course the awesome food! It is very sad that it has gotten to where it is. I think there are two causes: high demand for their products (legalizing it would help a lot on that score) and a terrible economy, so the average cop or soldier can have a better life for his family by working for the cartel. Untill he is killed by the rival cartel. Let's hope that action will be taken or it will only get worse... and come to every corner of Mexico and then to the USA.

But for now, party on in Cozumel, you are safe!

I agree for how dangerous some parts of Mexico are and I've always felt safe in Cozumel. I heard on the news last night that one of the biggest problems with the violence and the cartels is that is where our biggest threat is with the influx of gang members into our country. Scary business....more reason to cruise and stay away from the gangs! ;)

We've been to Cozumel 2x and love it there. It is a tourist island. The first time we went was after Hurricane Wilma had gone through and destroyed most of the island. We were one of the first ships to tender-in about a month after the hurricane went through. I was amazed at the determination of the island people to get everything put back together so they could get the tourists back as quickly as possible. They were still working on a lot of the island and the devastation they had was obvious as they were continuing the rebuilding efforts. I am looking forward to going there again on our Destiny cruise in November. I definately am not worried about seeing any of the Mexican drug violence there.

I would tell your friends that not going to Cozumel because there is violence in the border areas is like not going to Disney World in Florida because there is violence in Detroit. (nothing against Detroit, just using it as an example).

Been to Cozumel several times on cruises, loved it so much that my 3 girlfriends and myself went and stayed for a week this past Feb. We walked the streets back in the neighborhoods at all times of day and night and never felt fearful.

Happy cruising.

Archived