"LIVE" From Explorer of the Seas-9/11/2010 Bermuda

Radio

Radio, I'm curious if you can check in early because you're Diamond class. Next month will be my first time on RCCL, and the online check-in said not to arrive before 2 p.m. Do they just say that to discourage early arrivals--but will let you on early if you happen to show up at ___ time? Thanks! Have a great time!

The boarding process today was painless, with no lines. I arrived at the pier at 11:15, and parked the car by 11:25. I had my Set Sail Pass at 11:30. There was a short wait in the D+ Lounge while a wedding party, and some TA’s boarded. We were allowed on the shuttles by 11:55. . . . Nice

The Suite / Diamond Check In was very efficient. . .

S12.JPG

Cool! Do you think they'll continue to do that for the remainder of the cruising season? I've been concerned that they'll be nothing to do when we're there the night of Oct. 25.

It turns out RCI will be providing entertainment at the Dockyard tonight, along with some local talent at 8PM. This will be held outside over by Clocktower Mall. The have added another Destination Dockyard for passengers of Explorer and Spirit.The last scheduled DD was to be in August. . ..

Radio, I'm curious if you can check in early because you're Diamond class. Next month will be my first time on RCCL, and the online check-in said not to arrive before 2 p.m. Do they just say that to discourage early arrivals--but will let you on early if you happen to show up at ___ time? Thanks! Have a great time!

I can answer this one for Radio.

Feel free to arrive earlier; that way you get to eat lunch on board.

Ships are required to be cleared (from the old cruise) before anyone can board the new cruise. Boarding usually begins around 11:30-noon with suites, returning cruisers (your D+ and Diamond)) and then they begin boarding by calling numbers.

If you arrive around 10AM, you probably get a number between 1-10 and by noon, depending on backup, your card may be #23. You may sit in the lobby area but I'd rather be checked in and waiting than just arriving; bring a paperback or talk with your new friends.

Cape Liberty has a shuttle from the check-in desk to the ship; one doesn't just walk onboard.

The staterooms will not be ready until 1:30PM; you will need to carry your hand luggage around with you as you eat lunch or explore the ship. Many take a swimsuit (depending on the weather) and change and enjoy the pool area.

We had a great Meet and Mingle (informal) in the VCL on deck 14. What a great group of Cruise Critic members. They were very friendly, and it was really nice to put a face with all of the screen names we have been talking too for so long.

It was so good to meet you & many of the rest of our roll call finally in person! Looking through your great pics, I think we have been following each other around, LOL!

For those wondering about taking the Explorer to Bermuda...why are you still wondering after reading Radio's awesome LIVE posts? This is our 1st time on the Ex & 1st time to Bermuda & we will be booking the same cruise before we get off the ship - AWESOME!

From a 1st time cruiser (finally!) point of view we have really liked everything we have eaten in the MDR & have a cabin right next to the internet cafe but no wifi in the room to answer a few questions folks have had.

Sue

aka Madison81

What type of camera are you using? Megapixie and zoom? Makes my pictures look sick!... another ad campaign!

Also; we need a picture of YOU!

Looks like he may have a Sony Cybershot H10 and possibly also a smaller Cybershot W120?? (Pictures have data stored in them that tell camera model and settings). As my photographer friends tell me though, a good photographer can make great pictures with any camera. Radio does a great job of composing his pictures.

Looks like he may have a Sony Cybershot H10 and possibly also a smaller Cybershot W120?? (Pictures have data stored in them that tell camera model and settings). As my photographer friends tell me though, a good photographer can make great pictures with any camera. Radio does a great job of composing his pictures.

Yes Bob, you are right sir. . .The exif settings give it away.(from the properties)

Both cameras have wide angle lenses. Thanks for the nice comments. . .

Radio

;);)

Radio, your stuff is outstanding this trip. Beautiful frames of the pool and the sunrise.

Next time I bring a model you're gonna have to come as a second photographer. Ken & Pete can handle security. Who knows, you may end up as the first.:D

Aw shucks John. . .:o

Thanks for the nice comments. . . Hm m m. . . A model ?

I better ask Mrs Radio :D

Radio

;);)

Hello everyone. . . Today was a great day in Bermuda ! I got off the ship at about 10:30, and walked over to the Ferry Terminal. There were 100’s of passengers in line at the terminal. I decided to just get my scooter at the dockyard instead of St Georges. My brother and I each rented a scooter and took off for Flatts Village.

Flatts village is one of the dozens of picturesque sights to see in Bermuda, The tide was coming in and the water appears to be like a raging river filling up Harrington Sound. When the tide goes out it is just the same (except reversed).

The Bermuda National Aquarium and Zoo is also in Flatts, and we went there to look around. I think I mention this on a previous post, but the National Aquarium and Zoo might be one of the best attractions in Bermuda. . .There are several.

Over every hill, and around every turn there is a picture postcard photo ready to be taken. . . The sights are wonderful. . . The weather helped out today though. We had mostly sunny skies, and warm weather. It is difficult to see all that Bermuda has to offer in just 2 days (or even 7 days). There is so much that I didn’t see, and I need to really come and stay for at least a week.

The large resort over at Fort Saint Catherine (in St Georges) was demolished 2 years ago, and the plan is to out a 5-Star resort in it’s place. I was told that it would be a Grand Hyatt to be constructed by 2013.

We also went over to Horseshoe Bay Beach on the Southside. The beach was beautiful, and yes the sand is pink. . Photos do not do it justice. The small lagoon is perfect for small kids, and the main beach is lifeguard protected. There are changing rooms, bathrooms, and a snack bar. Guest can rent chairs and umbrellas. There is also a small bar there.

I went up to the Gibbs Hill Lighthouse where I was able to climb all of the 185 steps. . . . My knees felt like they were going to pop ! It is the highest light house in Bermuda, and ships can see the light from over 20 miles. . .

I made it back to the ship by around 6PM. . .I got ready for dinner, and I will try to get out to the “Destination Dockyard” event out just outside. I will check to see howy many Mondays they will be hosting the event.

There is also a Caribbean Deck party up on Deck 11,(11PM) and a passenger and crew disco to be held in Snorkel Park at Midnight. I have heard that there is great music, and a lot of food and drinks there. ( I will try to stay up, but. . .)

Here are a few pics from today. . . More pics later.

Thanks for tuning in !

Radio

Flatts Village

MN50.JPG

I love it here. . .

MN49.JPG

The current was very rough. . .

MN48.JPG

There were many tropical birds in the National Zoo

MN43.JPG

There were lots of fish, but only one Shark !

MN44.JPG

The Flamingos were very noisy . . .

MN42.JPG

Here are a few more. . .

Radio

It was a picture perfect day at Horseshoe Bay

MN51.JPG

The Lagoon area was very popular

MN4.JPG

There will be a Sand Castle exhibition tomorrow (9/14/10)

MN53.JPG

The umbrella renting business was booming !

MN55.JPG

The water a color was a beautiful coral blue. . .

MN58.JPG

The water was very calm. . .

MN5.JPG

These are the last pics for now. . .more later !

Radio

Gibbs Hill Lighthouse

MN29.JPG

There were beautiful views in every direction

MN26.JPG

I could see the 2 ships at the Dockyard

MN24.JPG

Here is one of the views in Sandy’s Parrish

MN14.JPG

A view from one of the 11 bridges in Bermuda

MN10.JPG

I make it back to my home for a few more days. . . Explorer of the Seas

MN34.JPG

Radio, they are gorgeous. Leaving tomorrow am for Cape Liberty, will board Explorer Thursday. We're not going to Bermuda, but maybe next time. Your 'travelogue' makes me want to 'point the ship' toward Bermuda. Thanks for the wonderful pictures. You're better than a travel brochure or travel agent.

Thanks again.

Sandy

Radio,

Thanks so much for doing these wonderful "live" posts whilst you are on board. They are wonderful and I love them!

Please say HI! to Meg and Carol for me. I've sailed with them before.

Is there any way to find out if HangMi, my favourite bartender is still on board? She was in the champagne bar on my Feb. cruise.

Did you see any pigeons lurking around when you went to the zoo?

Your pictures are wonderful and I really can't wait until my next cruise!

Thanks again,

Cheryl :)

Radio,

Thanks so much for doing these wonderful "live" posts whilst you are on board. They are wonderful and I love them!

Please say HI! to Meg and Carol for me. I've sailed with them before.

Is there any way to find out if HangMi, my favourite bartender is still on board? She was in the champagne bar on my Feb. cruise.

Did you see any pigeons lurking around when you went to the zoo?

Your pictures are wonderful and I really can't wait until my next cruise!

Thanks again,

Cheryl :)

I also asked about Hangmi (on the roll call board). She is the best! I would love to know if she will be on for the Thanksgiving cruise in November. If you see her, please tell her Marilyn and Scott will be onboard with a large family group! We can't wait.

Radio - your pictures of Bermuda are great! Can't wait for more.

Marilyn

Radio: We love your 'Live' posts and the beautiful pics. Thanks for taking the time to do this for us.

Great to see you following Radio's "live feed".

How are you & Chris? Will you be going on the Explorer anytime soon?

Jim and I are good and looking forward to another voyage on the Explorer Oct 28, 2010. Can't wait! Need a vacation in the worst way.

Hope to hear back from you.

Deb:)

Archived