How to carry important ID's when off the ship.

Gretzkigirl

1. I don't believe you actually called, or when you called you didn't ask what you wrote above.

2. The information is that the US Virgin Islands for a direct flight to the US or another US territory(like Puerto Rico), don't require a US passport.

3. if the flight goes to another country first(like the Dominican Republic) a passport is required.

I can also tell you that we all know that call centers don't necessarily give the right answer. Email the airlines. Most have a website with an email address. get it in writing but it is as I describe.

smeyer418, thank you for this info. i learned something today. thank you again. :)

I just don't get the whole 'don't carry your passport because you might lose it' thing...

I'd be more concerned if I lost my credit card to be honest. Passports can be replaced... stolen money is harder to get back.

I keep track of my PP just as I would keep track of any of my personal belongings. Aquapak makes watertight carriers in all sizes for all sorts of things including electronics (phones, cameras...) and paper stuff (passports, money, etc.)

I just don't get the whole 'don't carry your passport because you might lose it' thing...

I'd be more concerned if I lost my credit card to be honest. Passports can be replaced... stolen money is harder to get back.

I keep track of my PP just as I would keep track of any of my personal belongings. Aquapak makes watertight carriers in all sizes for all sorts of things including electronics (phones, cameras...) and paper stuff (passports, money, etc.)

But if you don't need it why carry it(that goes for more than a couple of credit cards too)...and its not losing it? There are pickpockets everywhere and crimes of opportunity. Leaving it unguarded on a beach is BRILLIANT- most people use the ship board towels and you are instantly recognized as a tourist. How many people report things stolen from unguarded beach stuff? every day almost and BTW don't only blame it on the locals your fellow cruise passenger has been known to dip as well.

fom IKEA in Brooklyn this week

"someone stole a woman’s purse at the Red Hook IKEA on Sept. 4. The 29-year-old victim said she placed her purse in her shopping cart at around 4:10 pm and looked away for a mere five minutes. But when her gaze returned to her cart, her purse was gone.

About two hours later, security personnel at the store, at Otsego and Beard streets, recovered the woman’s purse, but the contents, including a passport, phone, Kipling wallet, and credit cards were gone."

Need your passport to shop at Ikea?

But if you don't need it why carry it(that goes for more than a couple of credit cards too)...and its not losing it? There are pickpockets everywhere and crimes of opportunity. Leaving it unguarded on a beach is BRILLIANT- most people use the ship board towels and you are instantly recognized as a tourist. How many people report things stolen from unguarded beach stuff? every day almost and BTW don't only blame it on the locals your fellow cruise passenger has been known to dip as well.

"someone stole a woman’s purse at the Red Hook IKEA on Sept. 4. The 29-year-old victim said she placed her purse in her shopping cart at around 4:10 pm and looked away for a mere five minutes. But when her gaze returned to her cart, her purse was gone.

About two hours later, security personnel at the store, at Otsego and Beard streets, recovered the woman’s purse, but the contents, including a passport, phone, Kipling wallet, and credit cards were gone."

You certainly do. It's a Swedish-owned company, so it doesn't fall under the closed loop shopping center exception to the passport rules. :D

Unless you're going on one of those 4x4 rental jeep excursions, why would someone need to take their drivers licence?

Sorry if the answer is obvious. I've only been on one cruise in my life, back in 1995, and all we ever took into a port was the cruiseline shipboard account card thingy and whatever cash/credit card we thought we'd need for the day.

Welcome to the post 9-11 world of cruising, where in many ports you need your ship's boarding card and a government issued ID card - AKA a driver's license.

why would you leave your passport on the ship ??:confused::confused::confused: if you need it , it will do you no good in the room safe........

Because if you are a responsible adult, the only place you will need it is on the ship. And if it is in the safe, it is safe - unlike in some old paperback book laying unguarded on the beach.

Just to clarify...leaving your passport unattended is brilliant but leaving your drivers license and your credit cards on the beach isn't? Point is, you're up a creek if any of those items get stolen.

I live in an area where it's actually a hinderence to have a car sometimes and I know many people, adult people, that don't have a drivers license and they use their passports for their ID. Ideally they should get a resident ID but for whatever reason, they just haven't. What would you suggest they use?

You certainly do. It's a Swedish-owned company, so it doesn't fall under the closed loop shopping center exception to the passport rules.

LMAO!!

Just to stir the pot....:D

What good is a passport if it's not with you?

As for the notion you only need the passport on the ship - Not really. You may not actually need the passport at all!

A responsible adult will be able to keep track of their belongings.;)

OK - enough stirring :p. I have a passport. Sometimes, I take it with me off the ship. Sometimes, I do not. For example: If we are in the USVI, I leave it on board. If I go to St. Maarten, I take it with me. That's why I paid for the darn thing! Leaving it on the ship, to me, is sort of like buying a Ferrari and locking it in the garage and never taking it out.

Is it a pain to keep track of? Not really. No worse than my wallet or camera. I did forget one time and went for a swim at Bae Rouge with my passport in my pocket. They dry out just fine, thank you!:eek:

A responsible adult will be able to keep track of their belongings.;)

!:eek:

yes tell this to my friend a former Washington Redskin football player who was robbed at gunpoint. Yes he was responsible he knew where it was- they had it.

Passports that have been washed, swam in are VOID, unless it was in plastic-the new ones have an RFID tag in them that is destroyed by water. Void =useless.

The recent NCL thread on a person pick pocketed in Barcelona is another example. Yes I know it will never happen to you...until it does. So I will repeat what I said on my first post on the subject

"While taking a passport is subjective, the number 1 reason that people have to contact the local embassy is lost/stolen/waterlogged passports. Even the US State department suggests that you leave your passport in the safe."

yes tell this to my friend a former Washington Redskin football player who was robbed at gunpoint. Yes he was responsible he knew where it was- they had it.

Passports that have been washed, swam in are VOID, unless it was in plastic-the new ones have an RFID tag in them that is destroyed by water. Void =useless.

The recent NCL thread on a person pick pocketed in Barcelona is another example. Yes I know it will never happen to you...until it does. So I will repeat what I said on my first post on the subject

"While taking a passport is subjective, the number 1 reason that people have to contact the local embassy is lost/stolen/waterlogged passports. Even the US State department suggests that you leave your passport in the safe."

Again...how is getting your passport stolen so much worse than having your DL and credit card stolen? Some states put your SSN on your DL! And if my CC is stolen, my missing passport is the least of my worries because that can be replaced with a few phone calls. No CC means I'm not flying anywhere, with or without a passport. Point is, to say a passport is too important to carry with you is just stupid. It's all important and the best you can do is be smart about where/how you carry it.

BTW, ...I've been mugged in DC 3 times. Once was an attempted car jacking. It's traumatic no matter what they take. Fact! Oh, and I hope I've not put anyone off from visiting. It's really a great place. :D

Again...how is getting your passport stolen so much worse than having your DL and credit card stolen? Some states put your SSN on your DL! And if my CC is stolen, my missing passport is the least of my worries because that can be replaced with a few phone calls. No CC means I'm not flying anywhere, with or without a passport. Point is, to say a passport is too important to carry with you is just stupid. It's all important and the best you can do is be smart about where/how you carry it.

States can no longer (as of 2004) display your social security number on the driver license ...

The Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 prohibits states from displaying your SSN on drivers' licenses, state ID cards, or motor-vehicle registrations.

If you only have one credit card, leave it in the safe with the passport. I have several credit cards and take four with me. Two on my person and two in the safe. One phone call will cancel the card. So a lost credit card is the least of my worries.

Bottom line, the passport is too important to risk losing, so keep it were it will be safe - such as in the safe.

BTW, ...I've been mugged in DC 3 times. Once was an attempted car jacking. It's traumatic no matter what they take. Fact! Oh, and I hope I've not put anyone off from visiting. It's really a great place. :D

I can get my drivers license replaced without having to appear anywhere. I can do it on line. Ditto with my credit card. No so with my passport. And if you took a second to think instead of just spouting off on this, the issue is whether you should carry something that you are not required to so if you do get robbed, it will still be available.

You actually prove my point of view, if you have been mugged three times and washed your passport once. The point is that if you aren't required to carry it with you, why take an unnecessary chance that it might be stolen? BTW the same thing is true with excess cash and unneeded extra credit cards. My drivers license is among the easiest things to replace. so on the off chance I may be robbed, or drop my passport or forget to take it out of my bathing suit(two of three of which have actually happened to you!), I leave it in the safe or on the ship(sometimes I don't actually lock it up). That way if I "lose" my drivers license there is something else in the safe I can use and my trip won't be more ruined that it is. That's my point. I do understand that some people have to have it with them.

I go to DC all the time, I have never been mugged, guess in your opinion that makes me more responsible than you are because it hasn't happened to me?

I must say every time you post it gives me extra reasons to leave the passport on the ship. Ditto with extra cash credit cards AND JEWELRY.

and as for the possibility of missing the ship, talk about irresponsibility!

I've never washed my passport. Not sure where you pulled that one out. :s I have gotten it wet though...very wet. It's still valid though. Guess I'm just lucky. You're completely missing my point, probably on purpose... so I'll just leave it.

Have an awesome day!!

Oh...another thing... I said I was mugged, I never said my passport or anything else was stolen. You shouldn't make assumptions. ;)

I've never washed my passport. Not sure where you pulled that one out. :s I have gotten it wet though...very wet. It's still valid though. Guess I'm just lucky. You're completely missing my point, probably on purpose... so I'll just leave it.

Have an awesome day!!

Oh...another thing... I said I was mugged, I never said my passport or anything else was stolen. You shouldn't make assumptions. ;)

this may be the stupidest post I have ever seen. Yes you were mugged...they didn't steal anything? my point about washed includes bathing with them. The new passports with RFID are VOID when they have been soaked. You IMO don't have a clue.

I understand your point no matter the logic including you own statements you will take your passport with you. I never told you to do otherwise be my guest but the fact that you took it in the water at least once and have been mugged three times gives you no pause about taking them with you when its not required should make you think but obviously doesn't.

You raised the issue about responsible adults knowing where their passports are. My point is that being mugged, or even washing them when bathing(to make sure you understand what I have been saying in a joking manner) has little to do with irresponsibility. It has to do with being at the wrong place at the wrong time - not of your doing(mostly)..

and for the record while some missing of the ship does have nothing to do with responsibility( a traffic accident or something similar) MOST missing of the ship has to do with people acting irresponsibly....

so as I said before, I am sure nothing anyone can say can convince YOU, but since this is for first time cruisers, I thought a full discussion of why you should or should not carry you passport is in order.

so lets summarize,

some say you must/should always carry your passport on the oft chance that you might miss the ship for some reason(responsibly or irresponsibly)

others say that unless it is required, leave it on the ship where the risk of it being lost, stolen, washed, folded or mutilated is considerably less AND don't miss the ship.

its your choice not mine.

OK kids - enough.

If you want to take your passport with you, fine.

If you want to leave your passport in the safe, fine.

The point is that for Caribbean cruises, once you have boarded the ship, there is no need to show it to anyone again until you return to your home port. If you choose to take it ashore, and it is damaged or stolen, you will deal with drama. If you don't take it ashore and you need it, you can have someone from the ship retrieve it from your cabin and bring it to you. (The security officer can open the safes.)

This agrument cannot be solved and does not address the OP's question. "How do people keep passports and ID's safe and dry when planning to spend time at the beach in the water?" The answer is- put items in a waterproof container of some sort and do not leave valuables unattended at the beach.

this may be the stupidest post I have ever seen. Yes you were mugged...they didn't steal anything?

Yes, I was mugged. I didn't have any cash on me either time so they didn't get anything from me. The guy who tried to rip my car keys out of my hand was unsuccessful. He was also unsuccessful at trying to stab me in the shoulder. So why is that the stupidest post you've ever seen??? The wannabe carjacker on the otherhand was one of the stupidest things I've ever seen... just sayin.

Regardless, lifes way to short to get so worked up over the small stuff. The fact that you and I disagree on something won't change the world so relax and just accept it. You'll be much happier that way. :D

Archived