Fan Confiscated - Carnival still hasn't properly informed all of thier own!

Tom-n-Cheryl

I know this thread is getting kind of long and old but I have a question for Tom, just give me your opinion based on your experience....

We always take a power strip on our cruises . . .

. . . I plan to buy a brand new power strip, leaving it in the packaging (unopened) and take it with us. Do you think this will also be confiscated? It sounds like, from the experience of others, I could safely get it onboard by putting it in my carry-on but my carry-on already is full of stuff we don't want to put in checked luggage.

Hiya, Joe:

I was on that same recent sailing as Tom (and Cheryl) :), and I took my miniature Belkin charger onboard in my carry-on with no issues whatsoever. Security was actually only concerned that I had two bottles of wine in my bag, and reversed it through x-ray to double check, but since I was doing a back-to-back it turned into a non-issue.

STD1_BZ103050-TVL.jpg

I also had an identical one in my locked suitcase that was checked (just in case there was any question about the one in my hands). Both made it onboard with ease. That being said, it was a different day than when Tom's bags were sent through x-ray.

I'm still of the opinion (which Tom stated from the onset) that it was the liquids that raised the yellow/red flags, and when they determined it wasn't one of those 'vodka in the mouthwash bottle' situations they expected, the confiscation process changed focus completely.

What about THIS (below) don't you understand?

• Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords will be removed if determined to pose a hazard and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

Tom

Hey Tom,

Maybe it is like when we were kids...and they thought we would poke our fingers in the fan....therein lies the hazard :D

:p tehehe

Hey Tom,

Maybe it is like when we were kids...and they thought we would poke our fingers in the fan....therein lies the hazard :D

:p tehehe

Now that sounds reasonable... ;)

(We both know about the quality of the electrical system on the Dream!)

Tom

I know this thread is getting kind of long and old but I have a question for Tom, just give me your opinion based on your experience....

We always take a power strip on our cruises - it's just necessary when you're traveling with two women (hairdryers, curling irons, etc. and ladies please don't flame me) and you have camera batterys to charge as well as cell phones (yes... DD and I take our cell phones on cruises :rolleyes: ). I plan to buy a brand new power strip, leaving it in the packaging (unopened) and take it with us. Do you think this will also be confiscated? It sounds like, from the experience of others, I could safely get it onboard by putting it in my carry-on but my carry-on already is full of stuff we don't want to put in checked luggage.

BTW, I totally agree with your premise of "it's the principle". ;)

Since we lost ours because we had the POTENTIAL to plug in too many things, do what we now do......1 cord in each piece of luggage and hope to get one through. On our last cruise, they took none and we ended up with several we just kept in the suitcase. Lock your checked luggage, it's a hassle to call people down to open it.

Tom

I am a low poster by your standards (less than 200) so Maybe I don't know what I am talking about. I always wondered how someone gets over 10,000 posts. Now I know.

Put your big boy pants on and get over it.

Since this is cruise critic I guess I can be critical even if not about the cruise.

Please tell me I am wrong.

Tom

I am a low poster by your standards (less than 200) so Maybe I don't know what I am talking about. I always wondered how someone gets over 10,000 posts. Now I know.

Just taking a guess here, Goose.

Perhaps joining CC 4+ years previous to your arrival on this scene (and sailing close to 50 times on one particular line) gives Tom a little bit of something to post about . . . and with a lot of first-hand accuracy.

I've been fortunate to have cruised quite a bit myself but I do clearly remember the first time I had the pleasure to sail with both Tom & Cheryl, I said a personal thanks to him for the great info he'd provided on this forum that had helped me with my own cruising research.

I hope Tom, and numerous others here, will continue to post and tell it like it is. Helps me with my future vacation planning. :)

Happy sailing to you as well, Goose! :)

Tom

Put your big boy pants on and get over it.

Since this is cruise critic I guess I can be critical even if not about the cruise.

Please tell me I am wrong.

OK - you are wrong.

Perhaps joining CC 4+ years previous to your arrival on this scene (and sailing close to 50 times on one particular line) gives Tom a little bit of something to post about . . . and with a lot of first-hand accuracy.

I've been fortunate to have cruised quite a bit myself but I do clearly remember the first time I had the pleasure to sail with both Tom & Cheryl, I said a personal thanks to him for the great info he'd provided on this forum that had helped me with my own cruising research.

I hope Tom, and numerous others here, will continue to post and tell it like it is. Helps me with my future vacation planning.

Happy sailing to you as well, Goose!

Kind words - thank you Don (I'll buy your next Tiramisu Martini on the Dream this Thanksgiving! :D

I just have two comments:

1: If they keep my curling iron, I am going to be very unhappy! :mad:

2: Tom, can I come to work for you? I am a great worker and would

take you up on any free cruise. It would be rude to do otherwise! :D

I will keep you in mind. ;)

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts on the unopened, carry-on power strip - I think that's what we will do.

Tom: are you sure that lock won't raise suspicions? I mean, they gotta be thinking "what is this guy hiding in there?" ;)

LOL - at least that way I can "face my accusers"!

Tom

I understand that If I take a fan I am subject to Carnival taking it from me and I understand what the policy says. I also understand take if they take it from my checked luggage that I will get it back the last night (at least I'll get to use it then LOL), but what if they take it from me if I take it in my carry on? I'm riding a shuttle so I can't just take it back to the car. Does it go on board and returned the last night or just thrown away? Just wondering because I'd hate to lose the fan. People are recommending to put it in your carry on, but if they take it then what? I think I may risk it in my checked bags and worse case I get it back on the last night.

I understand that If I take a fan I am subject to Carnival taking it from me and I understand what the policy says. I also understand take if they take it from my checked luggage that I will get it back the last night (at least I'll get to use it then LOL), but what if they take it from me if I take it in my carry on? I'm riding a shuttle so I can't just take it back to the car. Does it go on board and returned the last night or just thrown away? Just wondering because I'd hate to lose the fan. People are recommending to put it in your carry on, but if they take it then what? I think I may risk it in my checked bags and worse case I get it back on the last night.

Good question - I have yet to hear from anyone who was taking a fan-power strip-etc... on with them (carry on) and had it confiscated.

Tom

. . . but what if they take it from me if I take it in my carry on?

. . . People are recommending to put it in your carry on, but if they take it then what? I think I may risk it in my checked bags and worse case I get it back on the last night.

I can not say with absolute certainty (this is, however, CCL, and there is minimal/no blanket enforcement of policy), but I'm thinking you would recieve one of these from the security types inside the port:

1012842620_9oesb-L.jpg

For a brief time my Santa Margherita was taking a separate cruise vacation from me. :)

Hey, Tom . . . .

Here's another one to ponder:

If the entity at the port who makes the decision about the quality of an item to be taken onboard in checked luggage (and its relative safety risk) were to look at a photo of the often rikety vacuum cleaners being used onboard, I wonder how they would make a logical comparison.

One (or even several) mint condition small Honeywell box fans, or one (or even several) old model vacuums that the cord has to be 'jiggled' in order to keep it running. :confused:

I did not make up this situation. Last week, my absoutely fantastic cabin steward assistant was having to do just that.

I believe there are potentially dozens of these being used onboard at any given time.

Things that make ya go, 'Hmmm'.

I hope Tom, and numerous others here, will continue to post and tell it like it is. Helps me with my future vacation planning. :)

Happy sailing to you as well, Goose! :)

Hate to say it Goose, but we "low counters" will often be called out for our opinions. These folks haven't met us on a cruise, haven't read much from us and don't know us from Adam. They're not likely to jump up and say "My goodness! Maybe Chirpbird (or Goose) is right!" Maybe that's fair; maybe it's not. It just is.

This is especially galling to me as I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong.

Hey, Tom . . . .

Here's another one to ponder:

If the entity at the port who makes the decision about the quality of an item to be taken onboard in checked luggage (and its relative safety risk) were to look at a photo of the often rikety vacuum cleaners being used onboard, I wonder how they would make a logical comparison.

One (or even several) mint condition small Honeywell box fans, or one (or even several) old model vacuums that the cord has to be 'jiggled' in order to keep it running. :confused:

I did not make up this situation. Last week, my absoutely fantastic cabin steward assistant was having to do just that.

I believe there are potentially dozens of these being used onboard at any given time.

Things that make ya go, 'Hmmm'.

Don - let's not have any of that logic here. LOL

Tom

Thread post #93

Hi, Chirpbird!!

I don't know you and certainly have zero intentions of any sort of "beat up". Everyone gets to post opinions on these board, and you have just as much right as anyone. Happy cruising in your future. :)

Hate to say it Goose, but we "low counters" will often be called out for our opinions. These folks haven't met us on a cruise, haven't read much from us and don't know us from Adam. They're not likely to jump up and say "My goodness! Maybe Chirpbird (or Goose) is right!" Maybe that's fair; maybe it's not. It just is.

I hope in the very near future I get to jump in and say those exact words, and to thank you for opening eyes for variances of opinion. I have no doubt you'll continue to offer great feedback on this forum.

I also hope that your choice of quotes wasn't due to feeling 'called out' earlier, as that was not the case at all. I was offering first-hand accounts of things on the sailing Tom reported from. I knew about Tom's fan situation within minutes of him knowing it (because he shared that info). I dealt with some of the exact crew onboard that Tom was dealing with, even that same day. To me, it felt as though I was offering personal experience instead of just a perception.

My sincere apology if my early words were taken as being directly negative to you. That was definitely not the intent.

Again, happy sailings in your future. :)

Hi Don, Tom and Cheryl,

So glad to see that everyone made it home ok.

I just wanted to say that it was a pleasure meeting the 3 of you on this cruise.

Tom, I am so glad that carnival came to its senses and returned your fan, so you and Cheryl did not have to leave before we sailed.

Don, I was glad to hear that you had a wonderful first half of your b2b, but I agree with you that something was just missing from the 2nd half. He just be glad they didn't double bill you for tips since you had 2 rooms.

I look forward to hopefully one day sharing another cruise with you all again.

Don, please contact me at chrissy5@cfl.rr.com I would love to send you a copy of the picture that we took during the cruise.

Christine

Hi Don, Tom and Cheryl,

So glad to see that everyone made it home ok.

I just wanted to say that it was a pleasure meeting the 3 of you on this cruise.

Hey guys! It was nice meeting you as well. I find no matter how long the cruise is, the time seems to fly by - and before you know it, it's the LAST NIGHT!

Take care - and hope to sail with you again!

Tom (and Cheryl) :)

Hey there yourself, DGPElevenEleven. I am a sarcastic wench - my friends actually call it Samcasm because my name is Sam. I in no way feel beat up, even when I post "Bring on the beat up!"

I've enjoyed this thread, and I would be extremely unhappy if my power strip was taken. So, I understand Tom's reaction. I just don't think I would be able to be as resolute as he was without blushing and stammering. From a negotiation standpoint, blushing and stammering pretty much ensure you're going to lose the negotiations.

Hey there yourself, DGPElevenEleven. I am a sarcastic wench - my friends actually call it Samcasm because my name is Sam. I in no way feel beat up, even when I post "Bring on the beat up!"

I've enjoyed this thread, and I would be extremely unhappy if my power strip was taken. So, I understand Tom's reaction. I just don't think I would be able to be as resolute as he was without blushing and stammering. From a negotiation standpoint, blushing and stammering pretty much ensure you're going to lose the negotiations.

Yep - once they detect "fear in your eyes", you are toast.. or at least have lost a bit of ground!

I think very few people who post on here actually take things personally. You can't take things personally, or it will eat you up. Sort of my case at work. I can't tell you how many times I had a patient tell me "I hate the dentist". Thus far, I have been able to convince them all that it is actually GOING to the dentist (not the dentist) that they "hate"! :) Though I did have one new patient tell me at his first visit that if I ever hurt him, he would hit me...:eek: that was also his last visit! ;)

At least he was honest!

Tom

Yep - once they detect "fear in your eyes", you are toast.. or at least have lost a bit of ground!

I think very few people who post on here actually take things personally. You can't take things personally, or it will eat you up. Sort of my case at work. I can't tell you how many times I had a patient tell me "I hate the dentist". Thus far, I have been able to convince them all that it is actually GOING to the dentist (not the dentist) that they "hate"! :) Though I did have one new patient tell me at his first visit that if I ever hurt him, he would hit me...:eek: that was also his last visit! ;)

At least he was honest!

Tom

Ha-ha-ha-ha. I hate dentists, too. But, you're right. I really hate having to go to the dentist.

No wait. The dentist I went to in college told me, "You have beautiful teeth. You have 18 cavities." I don't think he and I defined beautiful the same way, and I came close to hating him when he worked on one whole side of my mouth on a single visit. On the plus side, I don't get a lot of tartar.

Archived