Outlet mall shopping - Sawgrass Mill

bonsarsam

When would you do this? After embarkation but before sailing?

There really isn't enough time to make it worth it.

Sawgrass is HUGE and without enough time to do even a small bit of it, doesn't seem worth the trouble. You could hit traffic going or coming so be sure to leave plenty of time.

Do you mean post cruise? Are you staying over in FLL after your cruise? If so, great. Enjoy.

In 2007 we stayed at the Holiday Inn near Port Everglades. We got the all day pass, got on the bus to Sawgrass arriving just as it opened (10am I believe). Checked out the stores that were of interest to us. Had lunch, got on the bus and headed back to the hotel. Would I do it this way again NO.

The bus went through areas that I am not used to, and found a bit intimidating. But the shopping was great.

What do you think about outlet mall shopping at Saw Grass Mill. Thinking about taking the bus from the bus terminal. One way ticket is $1.50 but a all day pass is $3.50. Do you have to pay for transfer at the bus terminal

This is just my opinion of course, but I live in S. Florida, and refuse to go to Sawgrass Mill. The place is a madhouse: huge,noisey,and crowded!!

Personally, I find better bargins while searching through clearance racks and sale merchandise at our regular local mall.

I don't agree that you must have more time. I like many foods but don't expect to eat them all in one day. Take 4 to 5 hours and have a ball. Happy sailin Alsas

If OP boards the ship by noon, he won't have 4 hours to spend at the Mall and be back aboard in time. At most, with travel time and built in room for unexpected hold ups, they'll have 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Not worth it IMO

Our good friends & cruising companions live in FLL and never frequent the Sawgrass Outlet Mall. They have taken us once at our request, and I must say that we agree. It is gi-normous, v-e-r-y, v-e-r-y crowded and truly, we didn't find any 'bargains' that we couldn't have found in any other mall. After saying, "I told you so!" to us, they were kind enough to treat us to a great evening at the 15th Street Fisheries Restaurant. Fabulous!!

If a crowded, noisy shopping mall is your thing, you will probably love it, but it is quite a distance from the cruise terminal, so allow plenty of time to go to & from....

Just my opinion only, of course! :)

WE stay in Weston Florida a lot and go to sawgrass mills often. I also like the ross off price department store. We don't have them in Michigan. If you don't have time for the whole mall go online and see what stores interest you at the mall and just go to those. I like the Nordstrom Rack at sawgrass, I can find soe thing I "need" there every time I go.

Our good friends & cruising companions live in FLL and never frequent the Sawgrass Outlet Mall. They have taken us once at our request, and I must say that we agree. It is gi-normous, v-e-r-y, v-e-r-y crowded and truly, we didn't find any 'bargains' that we couldn't have found in any other mall. After saying, "I told you so!" to us, they were kind enough to treat us to a great evening at the 15th Street Fisheries Restaurant. Fabulous!!

If a crowded, noisy shopping mall is your thing, you will probably love it, but it is quite a distance from the cruise terminal, so allow plenty of time to go to & from....

Just my opinion only, of course! :)

I've been there once.

That was enough.

This is just my opinion of course, but I live in S. Florida, and refuse to go to Sawgrass Mill. The place is a madhouse: huge,noisey,and crowded!!

Personally, I find better bargins while searching through clearance racks and sale merchandise at our regular local mall.

AS you live well sounds so .any suggestions what to do in FT Launderdale or surrounds. WE get off the ship but have till 4pm for a flight out of Miami Int airport. Also can you suggest what transport to take to get to Miami Airport. Many many thanks if you can help.All new to the area coming from down under.. Irene and Stan

AS you live well sounds so .any suggestions what to do in FT Launderdale or surrounds. WE get off the ship but have till 4pm for a flight out of Miami Int airport. Also can you suggest what transport to take to get to Miami Airport. Many many thanks if you can help.All new to the area coming from down under.. Irene and Stan

For our cruise, returning to FLL Dec. 3 I know HAL is offering an excursion to Sawgrass Mills, with airport transportation following to FLL or Miami. You might want to check your offerings.

Leaving the ship, you’ll be whisked to Sawgrass Mills Mall, a shopping extravaganza with more than 2.5 million square feet of retail shopping space. This is one of the largest shopping complexes in North America, with countless stores, restaurants and entertainment venues—it’s an experience in itself. Spend your time shopping or browsing the diverse outlets and stores, or enjoy a refreshment at the food court, and don’t miss the high-end stores along the colonnade. A special gift bag and discount booklet will be provided upon arrival—one per family.

Notes: Sunday departures may leave the ship later. Please check with the Shore Excursions Office on board. This tour is only available to guests with flights after 4:00pm (Miami) 2:30pm (FLL).

Departure Times: 9:00 AM

Duration: 4 1/2 hrs.

$49 includes transfer to Miami airport

$39 includes transfer to FLL airport

I had rented a car one time when I had a pre-cruise stay in Fort Lauderdale and drove to Sawgrass Mills. This was a few years ago. I only had a few hours, so only saw one area of the mall. I'm not much of a shopper, but I enjoyed the visit, almost found a pair of shoes at the Nieman Marcus outlet. I would go again.

what the original poster didn't mention was that she and her family will be there 2 days in advance. day one is traveling day so it is just a rest day. day two will be the power shopping day. hope that helps. I only know this 'cos poster is my sister. suggestion is to get online and map out the mall. decide which stores you really need to go to and start from there. transportation wise, can't help, never been there since we only fly in the day before and that is our resting day.

what the original poster forgot to mention was that she and her family will be there 2 days in advance. day one is traveling day so it is just a rest day. day two will be the power shopping day. hope that helps. I only know this 'cos poster is my sister and we must forgive her since she is a newbie to CC. suggestion is to get online and map out the mall. decide which stores you really need to go to and start from there. transportation wise, can't help, never been there since we only fly in the day before and that is our resting day.

For our cruise, returning to FLL Dec. 3 I know HAL is offering an excursion to Sawgrass Mills, with airport transportation following to FLL or Miami. You might want to check your offerings.

Leaving the ship, you’ll be whisked to Sawgrass Mills Mall, a shopping extravaganza with more than 2.5 million square feet of retail shopping space. This is one of the largest shopping complexes in North America, with countless stores, restaurants and entertainment venues—it’s an experience in itself. Spend your time shopping or browsing the diverse outlets and stores, or enjoy a refreshment at the food court, and don’t miss the high-end stores along the colonnade. A special gift bag and discount booklet will be provided upon arrival—one per family.

Notes: Sunday departures may leave the ship later. Please check with the Shore Excursions Office on board. This tour is only available to guests with flights after 4:00pm (Miami) 2:30pm (FLL).

Departure Times: 9:00 AM

Duration: 4 1/2 hrs.

$49 includes transfer to Miami airport

$39 includes transfer to FLL airport

Thanks linda and Vern have taken note of your suggestions, anything is better than hours at Airport.also the tours are not that more than transport to Airport quotes we have been given. Bye Irene and Stan.

what the original poster didn't mention was that she and her family will be there 2 days in advance. day one is traveling day so it is just a rest day. day two will be the power shopping day. hope that helps. I only know this 'cos poster is my sister. suggestion is to get online and map out the mall. decide which stores you really need to go to and start from there. transportation wise, can't help, never been there since we only fly in the day before and that is our resting day.

:) That's a whole different story. If they have a full day to spend at Sawgrass and that is what they want to do....... by all means. I interpreted her post to mean she wanted to go there after boarding on embarkation day before sailing. There isn't enough time.

Let the shopping begin........ :)

what the original poster forgot to mention was that she and her family will be there 2 days in advance. day one is traveling day so it is just a rest day. day two will be the power shopping day. hope that helps. I only know this 'cos poster is my sister and we must forgive her since she is a newbie to CC. suggestion is to get online and map out the mall. decide which stores you really need to go to and start from there. transportation wise, can't help, never been there since we only fly in the day before and that is our resting day.

you must be the older sister looking out for the younger one!!! :p

I am a local, and I would recommend taking a taxi to get to the mall. Public transportation in this area is complicated and non-existent. Just bite the bullet and take a taxi - it's about a half hour ride from downtown FLL. Like others have said, the mall is absolutely enormous, and will be very crowded (it is very popular with foreign tourists and their rolling luggage). Research the mall ahead of time and make a plan of attack, so to speak, as the mall itself is over 2 miles long. It's like most outlet shopping - no amazing bargains, but you'll probably find a few discounts. And, the added bonus of almost every brand name store you can think of. Good luck!

Depending upon what you are looking for and when you go, bargains can be found at Sawgrass. For example, on one visit, I snagged a great deal on a Coach bag. Look up the store directory to see if there are any favorite shops. Yes, there can be crowds especially on weekends and around the holidays. However, I've been there on mid-week mornings when the mall has been empty.

I would recommend rent a car for the day. Not only would it allow you to travel on your own schedule, you might find other places to explore, to eat, etc. :)

Two years ago while staying at the 17th St Embassy Suites we decided to go to the Sawgrass Mills mall. We had no car and a rental just for the day seemed like a lot of effort (strange city, not sure of where to go or how to get there, we had lots of time) so we went by bus. The front desk people at the hotel were helpful, the bus drivers were helpful, the bus route maps are very clear and we got to see parts of Fort Lauderdale we wouldn't have seen if one of us was driving. To anyone who is thinking of bussing it over there go for it. We thought it was a great adventure and would do it again.

after my most recent cruise out of Fort Lauderdale, we stayed in FLL one night post cruise and went up to Sawgrass Mills. It was big indeed, but I mapped out the stores I wanted to go to and found my bargains.

We have a nice outlet mall in Massachusetts, but it was easier to shop at the end of vacation while I had the time.

I Pricelined a hotel room for $60.00 and ended up in the Renaissance West FortLauderdale, which was just off the highway and convenient to the airport the next morning. The rental car cost about 31.00 with all the taxes.

I would do it again, if I had shopping to do.

Archived