Is there any problem with wearing a proper skean dhu onboard ship?

Gugi

Yet another question. My husband is concerned that his skean dhu could be considered an offensive weapon and be confiscated. Does anyone know the answer? He could buy a plastic one but the real thing is much nicer.

PS Just in case there are some people who are puzzled about what a skean dhu is, it's the "dagger" worn in the stocking of a man wearing highland dress.

Your CUNARD VOYAGE Guide, page 11, "What Not To Pack" paragraph two:

Knives and all other sharp bladed implements that are capable of being used as a weapon (including Skean Dhu, ceremonial knives and swords).

Knives and all other sharp bladed implements that are capable of being used as a weapon (including Skean Dhu, ceremonial knives and swords).

It's not in the brochure is it?

What is the point in implying fault for not having read a document that is only posted out to passengers shortly before sailing?

It's not in the brochure is it?

What is the point in implying fault for not having read a document that is only posted out to passengers shortly before sailing?

It is interesting & is one of the recurrent problems with posting on the internet, how different people can read the same thing & come to a different conclusion about the content. I read no implication of fault in this, but just a clarification of the point, by showing where the 'law' was laid down. :)

Yes - this will definately be regarded as a weapon and will not be allowed on board any ship. I am afraid he will have to go for the plastic version or none at all.

Sorry to disagree but you are incorrect. I have taken and have worn the real thing onboard 3 Cunard ships as recently as July 2010, without incident.

Hope this helps.

Sorry to disagree but you are incorrect. I have taken and have worn the real thing onboard 3 Cunard ships as recently as July 2010, without incident.

Hope this helps.

I can only go by the experience of friends and the Cunard guide !

On a cruise to the Med on the QM2, one of our party who travelled with full Highland Dress for formal evenings, had his skean dhu confiscated at Southampton. The "offensive" weapon had to be reclaimed after the voyage.

I can only go by the experience of friends and the Cunard guide !

Then I have been exceptionally lucky.

Twelve times.

I am hoping to be lucky again this month on the Q Vic. :)

KB

PS on our last voyage our traveling companions had metal gardening tools questioned (they were a gift), but not confiscated.

Then I have been exceptionally lucky.

Twelve times.

I am hoping to be lucky again this month on the Q Vic. :)

KB

Yes, it would seem that you have been exceptionally lucky (if you want to call it that) in bringing a dagger on board and wearing it.

It also seems that security has been lacking in those instances. Think about it: if you can bring a dagger on board, then anyone can...and you've made it clear that you were able to do that twelve times! And you plan on doing it again, despite knowing it is in violation of Cunard's published rules!

Yes, it would seem that you have been exceptionally lucky (if you want to call it that) in bringing a dagger on board and wearing it.

It also seems that security has been lacking in those instances. Think about it: if you can bring a dagger on board, then anyone can...and you've made it clear that you were able to do that twelve times! And you plan on doing it again, despite knowing it is in violation of Cunard's published rules!

Indeed Salacia!

And to boot, said dagger was brazenly displayed and admired by Jamie and Osman (Queen's Grille). Shocking! :eek:

Iv taken mine on QE2 many times. as recent as 2008 and never had any problems.

Have also taken champagne onboard and again no problems.

What is so strange is that you are told a Skean Dhu is not allowed onboard, BUT ask for a steak knife at Dinner and its no problem, and given that a steak knife is much more dangerous than a Skean Dhu....:confused:

What is so strange is that you are told a Skean Dhu is not allowed onboard, BUT ask for a steak knife at Dinner and its no problem, and given that a steak knife is much more dangerous than a Skean Dhu....:confused:

I guess they had to draw a line somewhere and a 'blanket ban' is simpler than 'no ceremonial swords/daggers with blades longer than 5cm' for example.

But almost anything can be a dangerous weapon.

For example, look at all the things you can't take on a plane. But, oddly, you can take a large, heavy, glass bottle on board with no problem - in fact, you are actively encouraged to do so.

I could quite easily kill you if I smashed a full bottle of scotch over your skull, and then if it broke I'd have a very dangerous weapon indeed, i.e. a very sharp object with jagged edges ( and it even has a nice handle for me to hold it with so I don't injure myself ).

So how come you are allowed to take a bottle of scotch/vodka/brandy on a plane but not, say, a soft bottle of sun-tan lotion or a lipstick ? I wonder if it has anything to do with money by any chance ?

I have really enjoyed reading these replies - they have brightened up a miserable morning. I only hope that the PC Police don't take the comments about the bottle of scotch on board!!!! Thanks to all who took the time to write:)

I have really enjoyed reading these replies - they have brightened up a miserable morning.

Only on the Cunard Board - these sort of discussions do not seem to happen elsewhere on CC (and we largely remained on topic). Gugi, I promise you will have a wonderful time on your World Cruise.

Louise

I would agree that Cunard security is sometimes a bit lax, unlike the airports where you could find yourself sitting in a little room with a butch security officer rolling on a pair of rubber gloves, if you tried to take a dagger through security.

David.

But almost anything can be a dangerous weapon.

For example, look at all the things you can't take on a plane. But, oddly, you can take a large, heavy, glass bottle on board with no problem - in fact, you are actively encouraged to do so.

I could quite easily kill you if I smashed a full bottle of scotch over your skull, and then if it broke I'd have a very dangerous weapon indeed, i.e. a very sharp object with jagged edges ( and it even has a nice handle for me to hold it with so I don't injure myself ).

So how come you are allowed to take a bottle of scotch/vodka/brandy on a plane but not, say, a soft bottle of sun-tan lotion or a lipstick ? I wonder if it has anything to do with money by any chance ?

I have always said exactly the same! They would take your tweezers from you at security but sell you countless glass bottles of booze once you have passed through it. I think I would rather face a grandmother armed with tweezers than a young man with a bottle in each hand. Or even a young man with tweezers than a grandmother with a bottle of sherry!

I think they need to bring back common sense, if some terrible people in this world want to hurt others I don't think they are going to disguise themselves as a scotsman in order to do it.

I have always said exactly the same!

Here's a couple of things at airports I've experienced :

a) Not being allowed to have metal knifes and forks in a airport restaurant, because of the so-called security risk, but oddly, on the plane I was later on, if you were in Business Class you had, guess what ? Metal knifes and forks.

b) I flew from Manchester to Chicago, we were not allowed to take our sun-cream etc though the security in Manchester, instead we had to throw it in the handy bins they so kindly provide. Then when airside, we decided to replace it all in Boots as it would be easier than buying it all in the US. Then we changed planes in NY and, yep, that's right, we had to throw it all away because it was not allowed on the US plane, but oddly it was allowed on the plane from Manchester.

Basically, security is there for two reasons :

1) To make money

2) To give the impression that security is paramount without actually doing anything about it, i.e. the authorities want to look like they are doing something without actually doing anything.

And one last thing whilst I'm on my soap box:

Do you remember Richard Reid, the shoe bomber ? He took a small bomb on a plane hidden in his shoe. So now we all have to take our shoes off before we get on a plane.

So, what happens if someone is found with a bomb inserted in their rear-end ? Will all passengers have to bend over for a man with a rubber glove on ?

Archived