Mimosa

jtdlmc

Although not about food, I thought I'd ask here anyway.

We are not wine drinkers but are going on a Carnival cruise and are allowed one bottle of wine each. Someone mentioned Mimosas, so I want to take on champagne to make them. Not being a wine drinker, I have no idea as to what is a good champagne/wine to use for Mimosas. Can you help me out?

Having drunk many bad mimosas in my day, the secret is not really the bubbly, it's the OJ. Make sure you get fresh squeezed or as close to it as you can. We're happy using the OJ that comes in cartons and is not made from concentrate. But, I'm sure you can make a bad mimosa with good OJ and the plonk they offer at art auctions.

We like to use Korbel Chardonnay bubbly. Can get it on sale for around $9-10 a bottle. IMO, it is a waste to spend too much on the bubbly.

Thanks for the tips. I will have to pick it up in Tampa somewhere the night before our cruise. We are from Canada so I have absolutely no idea of the brands in the US. There is a brand here in Canada that I will drink on New Years Eve that I don't mind, but not sure it is available over there - Spumante Bambini. I'd kinda like to get something I could drink by itself just in case I don't like the orange juice that Carnival serves :p

Oenophiles would argue that adding anything to Champagne will simply ruin good Champagne. But bad champagne is normally pretty bad. We would recommend any of the decent lower priced bruts such as Domaine Chandon, Chateau St Michelle, etc or even some of the Spanish offerings such as Cordon Negra all of which would only cost you about $9 - $13 anywhere in Florida. We also agree that the OJ makes the mimosa and nothing is as good as fresh. We are not sure if you can even get fresh OJ on Carnival ships (many ships either sell fresh OJ by the glass or on HA ships it is free at breakfast) but you can easily buy fresh OJ at any Florida market. This works if you cabin has a fridge, but if not, you are stuck with whatever they have on-board.

Hank

Archived