Traffic Between Halifax and Peggy's Cove

MalibuCA

We will be in Halifax on October 5. My original plan was to spend the day in Halifax, but we have a car reserved for rental, and I was thinking about driving to Peggy's Cove first thing in the morning and then returning to explore Halifax. What are the current traffic conditions on Highway 103 between Halifax and Peggy's Cove? Is there road construction that causes delays? How long should I expect the drive from Halifax to Peggy's Cove and the return trip back to Halifax?

Thanks,

Shelley

Hi Shelley,

I live in Halifax. I would give yourself one hour each way which will be lots of time. I don't think traffic will be a problem as you will be going against the traffic, except for cruise traffic. Construction delays usually are not all that long, not more than ten minutes at a time, if there are any.

I would take the 103 highway out to Peggy's to exit 5 and then follow the signs to the 333 highway. I would take the 333 highway back into town by turning right coming out of Peggy's Cove, that way you get to do the whole loop. It is a nice drive- water and rocks, it is what we do best.

Have some Dee Dee's ice cream when you are out at Peggy's- very yummy.

You can most likely make to drives in better time but if you give yourself and hour each way you will have a little bit of fudge time.

Enjoy yourself, Peggy's is a really great place. I haven't been out in a while but all this talk about it makes me want to go.

Michele

Thanks so much! That's great news! Can't wait to get there. Thanks, too, for the ice cream tip -- there's nothing I'd rather eat any time of day or night! Just hope the weather is nice and not too cold for ice cream. BTW, living in Malibu and a native of Los Angeles, anything north of 60 degrees Fahrenheit is freezing to me!

Shelley:)

Hi!

We just got back last night from a 10 day NE cruise on the Eurodam. We rented a car & drove to Peggy's Cove. It was one of our high points of the cruise. It was a little hairy getting out of the city (we don't do much city driving) but then it was smooth sailing all the way-and SO pretty! We stopped at the Information Center b/f heading back to the ship to ask if there was a pretty yet different way back. We took that which was just about the same amount of time and even had time to walk back (from Avis) and walk the whole boardwalk area.

Bad news was that Dee Dee's Ice Cream shop was closed-looked like it had been for awhile. :( I have a friend named Dee, so I took a photo for her.

Have a GREAT time!

rocks

IMG_7674.jpg.4e7151af4ade63ee283e572ec12a0081.jpg

IMG_7699.jpg.27455cc4821155968b65c0b49bc0d75b.jpg

We were having record breaking high temperatures (high 80s F) until two weeks ago when hurricane Earl came for a quick visit. He literally took all the warm air with him when he cleared out. Right now it is jacket weather (in the 50s F), and for those from southern climes, have a fleece liner as well.

By the time you get here it may have warmed up, but you need to be prepared.

Thanks! I have everything from a North Face full length coat and Canadian fleece boots to t-shirts, a swimsuit (verrrry optimistic) and a lightweight denim jacket. I've prepared everything but the kitchen sink. If it wouldn't put me over the weight limits for the airlines, my husband is convinced that I would pack that too! Fortunately, he's a light packer, so there's lots more room for my stuff! The secret to a happy marriage!

Thanks for the head's up on weather!

Shelley :D

We will arrive Halifax on Thursday, October 7. We were originally scheduled to arrive at 9am with two other ships in port and had hoped to get an early start. Now we are arriving at 11:30am and don't depart until 8pm.

We will most likely go out mid to late afternoon to try to avoid the other cruise ship passengers. Will the the suggested routes and timeframes still be good for this late in the day? What's the latest we should leave Peggy's cove for the drive back to the ship when we have an 8pm departure?

I think your mid afternoon idea is good. You will be going against the traffic coming back, I think which is a good thing. Many people work in Halifax and live in the burbs. You should not need three hours to get back, but that's what I would allow. Plan to do some things along the waterfront or walking distance to your ship when you return.

• 3 weeks later...

Just returned. The drive to Peggy's Cove was a nice easy drive. Peggy's Cove was very windy but made for some spectacular photo ops of the crashing waves on the rocks. Interesting landscape, barren but with many glacial erratics.

Archived