bad experience on carnival destiny

pattyl

In my opinion, too many people (not all) complain today because they either have:

1) unrealistic expectation that everything will be perfect

2) want something comped

Very few complain for the sole reason of reporting a problem. I come to this conclusion when I hear many times (not just cruising) about reviews that the staff remedied the problem immediately, but the people then complain because they never got anything free.

So for the newbies reading the review, here's some advice to avoid what happened to the OP:

1) If you do not want a noisy room, pick one that you like (you can get advice here or just study a deckplan) and pay the extra charge for doing so.

2) There is no way all the food on the ship is bad. Keep looking if one part of the buffet is not what you like there is usually a grill, pizza station, room service, etc.

3) If the service is bad in the dining room, meet the matri d and discuss changing to a different team.

4) If you see a security violation such as glass in the hot tub, contact security to fix the problem. Other employees should know to tell you that but sometimes they don't. Call security.

5) If you have some complaints that need to be addressed at customer service, determine what you would like as resolution. Have you really lost some value like the use of restroom or cabin for a period of time, then you normally get compensation. Someone not smiling at you, not so much. :)

Hope everyone has a better cruise and avoids disappointments like the OPs.

I would just like to direct this to the first time cruisers that are already booked on the Destiny.....we were on the Destiny in July and it was one of the best cruises we've had (all Carnival)...The food was fine, the staff was excellent and the entertainment was great...room service was at our door in less than 20 minutes...our cabin was a suite, but that's how we cruise...I just can't imagine how anyone could have been that unhappy...the ship is great and you will have a great vacation;)

I can understand the OP's perspective on receiving a generalized letter when all you want is a personal acknowledgment that you were heard. However it is so tough for companies to respond to each and every letter so the expectation is a little out of reach. I was just reading an article just a bit ago tonight regarding Steve Jobs, CEO of Apple. A college student sent a professional letter asking why she was unable to get in contact with Apple Corporation regarding a project she was doing for school. His response was "Our job is not to help you pass your class". Exact response in the article that was posted on yahoo. She replied with another question. His response "Leave us alone". A grown man telling a college student "leave us alone". Could you imagine receiving a response from Carnival or any other company like that? The point is that while the general letter from Carnival is disappointing it is definitely better than receiving a response like that. This is a sign that customer service is definitely down the toilet. Spirit Airlines is now charging for customer service and you have the CEO of Apple telling people to go away. That is definitely not sending the right message to the younger generations. We have to adjust our expectations that things do happen and sometimes our vacations do not turn out as planned. We chalk it up to experience and move on. This may help us to roll with the punches so to speak. In the OP's case this really sounds like a case of burnout. Some people who cruise a lot with one cruise line are fine but others get to the breaking point where that one cruise wasn't as exciting as the first few. I'm sure the OP will take a break for a few years and eventually give in to trying Carnival again when there are more positive changes for the OP. After 7 cruises the comedians start sounding the same and the shows are alike. You want your vacation to be fun and memorable. After all we are working those hard hours to pay for one. So I completely understand the OPs point I just dont care for posts that tell us to stay away from a cruise line just because that they had a bad time on ONE cruise. Everyone is different. I just think individuals should say they will try another cruise line for variety and be done with it. I am an adult and will make the decision to stray not by someone's review telling me to. Okay I'm off my soapbox now. Good night!

We've had some CCL cruises that didnot meet our expectations and some that were great. But I've had lousy service on Princess and another line too. I cruise CCL usually because it offers the most convienient embarcation ports for me. If I lived in the west I'd cruise Princess or Holland more often. I found RCL and NCCL to be very much like CCL only we like the food better on CCL. All 3 lines market to the same demographics. It's the op's cruise $ and she should cruise on the line that she enjoys. I hope her next cruise is more fun.

Some of these bad reviews simply start off with misinformation

they have never had Past Guest Parties on the 3 and 4 night cruises

so why expect it?

It is no big secret that Destiny is an older ship and doesn't have the

"on screen" menus and sign/sail info...so why expect it?

Some years ago people posted about the "upgrade fairy">> they did seem to just upgrade people at the last minute

BUT for a long while that fairy died and the "upsell fairy" has taken her place

Carnival has an entire telemarket group who call people at the last minute to pay for upgrades

so....why would you expect an upgrade?

Happiness can often be found by having realistic expectations and then when those are met you can be happy

I am going on the Destiny again and I don't expect Past Guest Parties, On screen sign/sail, or an upgrade. I also don't expect a Steakhouse (doesn't have one)....nor will I be looking for a rock wall, skate rink, flowrider, Cirque d Soliel troupe, The Blue Man Group, an Ice Bar or whatever

I expect good food, a clean and nice ship (perhaps a bit more glitz than the lovely Liberty) good friends, lots of FUN :)

I am also NOT paying the price that I would pay to sail the Epic, Oasis, or even the Dream

Do a bit of homework before and you might be happier JMO

OP -- I'm very sorry that you have had a bad experience. I have not sailed on my first cruise yet (13 more days ... woohoo), but I do have significant travel experience. Let me give you some advice:

• If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. That goes for vacations, too. Know what you are getting for your money, and don't expect more than what you pay for.
  • You get what you pay for. And only that. If you pay for a room over the propellers, that's what you get. They're loud? Why didn't you know that (see above)?
  • Treat others the way you want to be treated. That goes a long way to getting better service and a more satisfactory resolution to your complaints.
  • Go to the top. If you have issues with the way something is handled (poor servers, glass in the pool, etc) and you don't get resolution after bringing it to someone's attention (and it's significant enough for you to post on here), tell their supervisor. Rinse and repeat. Don't forget to be nice (see above).
  • Chill out! From reading your post, I can imagine that your email to Carnival was an emotion-laden rant ending with "I'm never sailing on Carnival again!" Of course you got a generic form-letter response. You've already said that your not coming back. Should they attempt to lure you back when there are others just waiting to purchase your room (that you would probably complain about anyway)?

I can understand the OP's perspective on receiving a generalized letter when all you want is a personal acknowledgment that you were heard. However it is so tough for companies to respond to each and every letter so the expectation is a little out of reach. I was just reading an article just a bit ago tonight regarding Steve Jobs, CEO of Apple. A college student sent a professional letter asking why she was unable to get in contact with Apple Corporation regarding a project she was doing for school. His response was "Our job is not to help you pass your class". Exact response in the article that was posted on yahoo. She replied with another question. His response "Leave us alone". A grown man telling a college student "leave us alone". Could you imagine receiving a response from Carnival or any other company like that? The point is that while the general letter from Carnival is disappointing it is definitely better than receiving a response like that. This is a sign that customer service is definitely down the toilet. Spirit Airlines is now charging for customer service and you have the CEO of Apple telling people to go away. That is definitely not sending the right message to the younger generations. We have to adjust our expectations that things do happen and sometimes our vacations do not turn out as planned. We chalk it up to experience and move on. This may help us to roll with the punches so to speak. In the OP's case this really sounds like a case of burnout. Some people who cruise a lot with one cruise line are fine but others get to the breaking point where that one cruise wasn't as exciting as the first few. I'm sure the OP will take a break for a few years and eventually give in to trying Carnival again when there are more positive changes for the OP. After 7 cruises the comedians start sounding the same and the shows are alike. You want your vacation to be fun and memorable. After all we are working those hard hours to pay for one. So I completely understand the OPs point I just dont care for posts that tell us to stay away from a cruise line just because that they had a bad time on ONE cruise. Everyone is different. I just think individuals should say they will try another cruise line for variety and be done with it. I am an adult and will make the decision to stray not by someone's review telling me to. Okay I'm off my soapbox now. Good night!

Your attitude is one of the main reasons customer service has become so bad. Companies will clean up their acts if the clients make them. If you accept poor customer service why on earth would they change as it would be cheaper to just ignore you.

Your attitude is one of the main reasons customer service has become so bad. Companies will clean up their acts if the clients make them. If you accept poor customer service why on earth would they change as it would be cheaper to just ignore you.

It was not my intention to come across like that. I was merely stating that while a general response is not an ideal way to communicate with Carnival guests there are a lot of companies who are responding in much more inappropriate way. Plus with a company who has 20,000+ passengers there are hundreds and thousands of letters. It's hard for any large corporation to personally respond to each and every letter. Do I think they should? Absolutely, If they want to keep guests. However, sometimes they just can't.

My "attitude" is not what is ruining customer service. Employees are overworked, under paid, and under appreciated. That along with a lack of respect (as you recently displayed) is what is killing great customer service.

Guess it is time to go back and hide as my opinion cleary is useless on these boards.

Archived