4 Nights in Rome - What area is better suited for walking around on your own

jfer8580

Has anyone had any dealings or know anything about a rental agency called Rome Sweet Home.....they have what appear to be several nice apts available for our time frame and our party near Piazza Navona.......any thoughts are appreciated...they also have some near Campo di Fiori thanks, L

go to rome hotels.com check out the via venato area. wonderful walking and if you want a great meal go to giorosto toscano a block off via venato almost at the villa borghese gates.

check out la residenza only 24 rooms, great service and great breakfast. we have stayed there 4 times

I totally agree with this area.We stayed here 2 years ago at the Hotel Smeraldo which is 1/2 block from Campo di Fiori and loved it. The area is convenient,walking distance to almost everywhere you want to go..Have pizza at Da Baffetos and Gelato next door at The Fridgidarium.OMG!!

Avoid The Tremini area it is not safe at night at all and during the day just to many shady characters hanging around doing whatever.. That is the reason hotels are cheaper near Termini,just not a good area.

How was the hotel....would you stay there again? It seems a bit cheaper than some of the others I've been pricing in that area.

How was the hotel....would you stay there again? It seems a bit cheaper than some of the others I've been pricing in that area.

We loved this hotel.The location is just perfect on a side street in the Campo di Fiori neighborhood.You could walk to the Pantheon,Piazza Argentine,Piazza Navonna in 5 to 10 minutes.My favorite Rome pizza place,Da Baffetos and gelato place,Fridgedarium were only about 5 minutes away.The rooms are very,very clean.I loved looking out my window over the antique cobbblestone street,really an alley, at all the activity in the street.

Don't bother paying for the breakfast if not included as there is a fantastic bakery around the corner to the left!

There are many reviews on tripadvisor of this hotel which are very accurate.It is not fancy and some of the rooms are small but there is a roof top terrace that is wonderful.Some people complained about the front desk people being rude but we did not find them rude at all,just busy and Roman.The elevator is a riot in that it will hold only 2 people or maybe 1 person with a big suitcase.:D You cannot judge Roman hotels like American hotels because they are in ancient buildings This is just exactly the type of place I always stay in Europe and we have been there 7 times. If I wanted to stay in a big business type hotel I would stay home.

Check out tripadvisor for reviews.I would definitely stay there again.

Also check out the Hotel Campo di Fiori as they seem to have some rooms for 4 people. The reviews on tripadvisor are good and the prices on venere.com were reasonable. Same great neighborhood as Hotel Smeraldo.

No rooms here for the dates I am looking at but thanks.

I am looking into the Hotel Smeraldo and hoping they have a cancel policy that will let me book it and cancel with no penalty because I actually haven't even booked the cruise yet and until I do, you never know what will happen. This one sounds great. I think it's the Gelato. :D

No rooms here for the dates I am looking at but thanks.

I am looking into the Hotel Smeraldo and hoping they have a cancel policy that will let me book it and cancel with no penalty because I actually haven't even booked the cruise yet and until I do, you never know what will happen. This one sounds great. I think it's the Gelato. :D

Many Europeon Hotels do not book this far in advance and will show no rooms available even when they have not started booking yet.You might try calling them if it turns out that you want to stay there. That said I am sure you will love Smeraldo.It is just so Roman. Yep Gelato is the thing!!

Many Europeon Hotels do not book this far in advance and will show no rooms available even when they have not started booking yet.You might try calling them if it turns out that you want to stay there. That said I am sure you will love Smeraldo.It is just so Roman. Yep Gelato is the thing!!

Thanks I've heard that and I did contact a few already directly but they were in fact sold out. I think they were pretty small though.

I found another one about the same price and in the same area as Hotel Smeraldo - Casa de' Fiori. I may look into that one too. Anyone know anything about it?

We stayed at the Albergo Senato this Sept..We booked in advance through their web site and paid 215 euros.This hotel is in a perfect place to walk to so many historic sites in central Rome.The breakfast was good and the front desk staff very helpful.We loved this hotel.:)

Hi. We found an apartment that we like. We have found it on several websites with conflicting info. Called the Colosseum Imperiali....the pics show the Colosseum right outside the window but as near as I can pinpoint it, the closest it could be is at least a half mile away. The websites say it is on Foro Imperali.....does anyone have info on the exact location of this apt and if it is as nice as the pictures make it appear? We have emailed the owner and do not have a response yet.

Other members of our party have looked at and like the Holiday Penthouse Apts. near Termini Station. I know that many others have said that this is a less desirable area and that it is far removed from things. so I am trying to gather some info for the other place in hopes that we can choose that one instead. thanks for all and any help. L

Anyone who has other info along these lines, would you please email me at jdownes2@cox.net ....I would very much appreciate it. L

We stayed at the Albergo Senato this Sept..We booked in advance through their web site and paid 215 euros.This hotel is in a perfect place to walk to so many historic sites in central Rome.The breakfast was good and the front desk staff very helpful.We loved this hotel.:)

Yeah, this seems to be the front runner for a lot of people but for the nights we are staying in May, it's $380.00 a night. For us who are not planning on being in the room other than to sleep, it's a waste!!

Hi. We found an apartment that we like. We have found it on several websites with conflicting info. Called the Colosseum Imperiali....the pics show the Colosseum right outside the window but as near as I can pinpoint it, the closest it could be is at least a half mile away. The websites say it is on Foro Imperali.....does anyone have info on the exact location of this apt and if it is as nice as the pictures make it appear? We have emailed the owner and do not have a response yet.

Other members of our party have looked at and like the Holiday Penthouse Apts. near Termini Station. I know that many others have said that this is a less desirable area and that it is far removed from things. so I am trying to gather some info for the other place in hopes that we can choose that one instead. thanks for all and any help. L

Anyone who has other info along these lines, would you please email me at jdownes2@cox.net ....I would very much appreciate it. L

Don't know anything about the one you are talking about, but we looked into renting this place. http://www.rentalinrome.com/villamonteverde/monteverde.htm

We did not do it, as we decided it was a little too expensive for us since we are only 6 people. We have agreed to rent another apt. from Rental in Rome, and dealing with them has been great so far.

Assuming that you are talking about this place (http://www.italy-unique.com/rental/lazio-rome/rome/rome/colosseum/colosseum-imperiali/holiday-apartment-villa-rentals.html), it seems to be on either Via del Colosseo or the street that intersects with it just above the Colosseo metro station. This is very close to the Forum, Colosseum and Trajan's Market, or basically most of classical Rome.

This street, as I recall, is up the hill from Via dei Fori Imperiali and accessed by a set of stairs inside the metro station.

Thanks much....anyone else have any thoughts? I would like to convince the others to stay closer to this area and not go so far into the Termini area. I really feel that what area we stay in will determine our "Rome Experience"....anyone? L

In my opinion, and I know others disagree, the only reason to stay near Termini is if you have a very early train that can only be accessed from Termini. Like most train stations in major cities, the neighborhood around the station isn't going to show Rome at her finest, which is pretty damn fine.

Ideally, you want a place where you can stroll in the evening, before and after dinner. Termini is not the area for that.

Just to echo some of the comments: P Navona, Campo de Fiori, & I guess Pantheon are most convenient areas. We stayed in Trastevere, which is near Campo de Fiori, and loved it.

Be sure to identify what floor you are getting. As someone said 1st is really 2nd, etc. If it may be warm be sure to get air conditioning. If you are renting an apartment be sure to use an agency that is reliable checking either here or on Trip Advisor. (It is not unusual for landlords to require a deposit through Paypal upfront and the rest in Euros when you arrive.:eek:) Landlords will try to meet your special requests, such as a hair dryer or coffee maker, and we sent exchanged numerous emails with our landlord.

A main difference in an apartment is you will not have the staff to help you with directions and other information. However, the people in Rome were friendly and helpful, and you can ask your landlord for a general idea of which way to go to the main attractions as you check in.

For a hotel I would use Venere.com and check reviews on Trip Advisor.

However we found apartments to be more reasonable and to give us a little contact with the people.

Thanks again. We do not go until May 2011 so we have plenty of time for more info and advice..so keep it coming....all of it very much appreciated. First hand advice is always the best, I think. We would like to get this apartment in Rome thing settled so we can get going on the other areas of planning. Does anyone think this is TOO soon??thanks, L:)

Does anyone think this is TOO soon??thanks, L:)

It's not too soon if you are convinced that this is the right location for you....but with doubts, I wouldn't rush into booking it. If you don't have a source of reliable reviews and you aren't sure about the location being suitable, I would spend some more time searching.

Have you tried posting on the Rome Tripadvisor forum for additional feedback and recommendations on specific apartments or rental agencies?

I completely agree with your earlier comment about location and your "Rome Experience". We spent 3 nights in the Piazza Navona area and felt that it really made our stay special.

It's nice to get arrangements made, but if you are having doubts now and are going to have doubts that you've made the right decision between now and next May, it's not worth rushing into it.

It's not too soon if you are convinced that this is the right location for you....but with doubts, I wouldn't rush into booking it. If you don't have a source of reliable reviews and you aren't sure about the location being suitable, I would spend some more time searching.

Have you tried posting on the Rome Tripadvisor forum for additional feedback and recommendations on specific apartments or rental agencies?

I completely agree with your earlier comment about location and your "Rome Experience". We spent 3 nights in the Piazza Navona area and felt that it really made our stay special.

It's nice to get arrangements made, but if you are having doubts now and are going to have doubts that you've made the right decision between now and next May, it's not worth rushing into it.

I agree. I think there is time. If it were me I would be looking at a couple of websites and choosing some possibilities and then running them by people on the Rome forum of Trip Advisor. They can help with information about tentative locations and possibly someone may have stayed where you think you want to stay.

Hi. Yes, we have been cross referencing on tripadvisor and also with slowtravel italy as they also have pretty extensive reviews. As with most things, the negative reviews have more weight than the positive but we are trying to keep track of all info. Again, thanks and keep the advice coming. We appreciate it all.....L:)

Thanks much....anyone else have any thoughts? I would like to convince the others to stay closer to this area and not go so far into the Termini area. I really feel that what area we stay in will determine our "Rome Experience"....anyone? L

We stayed at Hotel Cosmopolita for three nights and loved it. It's about halfway between Trevi Fountain (which we walked to every day like a magnet) and the Coliseum. They had a BIG breakfast with a great variety of food (scrambled eggs, bacon, fruit, pastries, cereal) and it was included in the price of the stay. I think we paid $200 pp USD for it. Less than I am paying for Barcelona next year. We were able to walk around everywhere--day or night-- and there were a lot of shops and restaurants between our hotel and Trevi so lots of people. Friends of ours stayed at Hotel Traino just around the corner but I'm not sure how much they paid. They liked it. You might check tripadvisor to see what people are saying and see pics of both hotels.

Archived