4 Nights in Rome - What area is better suited for walking around on your own

jfer8580

Again thanks, nothing like first hand knowledge gotten second hand;) so keep it coming. Lots to learn here! L

You have 3 pages of answers,all pretty much saying the same thing regarding desirable areas and listings of hotels in those area. If you look at www.venere.com you can find hotels by neighborhood.That appears to be a next step.If you want to give us some names of hotels for additional opinions we will let you know if we stayed there. I did enjoy my stay at the Hotel Smeraldo.

Hi. Through the help that I found on this thread, and on the boards in general, we have made arrangements to stay in an apartment in the Piazza Narvona area. Any help that I can offer, I am happy to do so. Thanks much.......L

The perfect area to explore Rome.Have a wonderful time.:D

Thi thread has been a huge help for me...I am about to book the Hotel Smeraldo. Sounds like the best option for us and very reasonable. Cruise is all set, now to the airfare.

Thanks eveyone for your help.

We loved the Hotel Smeraldo.Don't forget to go up to the roof garden at 6 P.M. to hear the bells.

In 2007 we stayed in Rome for one week prior to our cruise. We stayed at the Galileo apartment in Camp dei Fiori. This was booked through holiday-velvet.com. They have lots of apartments. Other sites I looked at were:

bbplanet.it

rome-accom.com

vacationrentals.com

sleepingrome.com

rentalo.com

holiday-rentals.co.uk/Italy/Rome

homeaway.com/Italy/Rome

That should be enough to drive you crazy. I looked for months before I made a selection. I booked about 3 months before our June rental. The deposit was put on a credit card through Pay Pal and the balance in Euros when we got to the apartment.

After I decided on the area we wanted to be in I picked things that we thought we needed. We wanted the Campo dei Fiori, Piazza Navona area and we were able to walk everywhere - Vatican, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Pantheon - and only took a bus to the Colosseum. We either wanted an apartment with an elevator (since we have lots of luggage) or not more than one flight up. We also wanted a washer/dryer, microwave, free internet and air conditioning.

Good luck and have fun!

In 2007 we stayed in Rome for one week prior to our cruise. We stayed at the Galileo apartment in Camp dei Fiori. This was booked through holiday-velvet.com. They have lots of apartments. Other sites I looked at were:

bbplanet.it

rome-accom.com

vacationrentals.com

sleepingrome.com

rentalo.com

holiday-rentals.co.uk/Italy/Rome

homeaway.com/Italy/Rome

That should be enough to drive you crazy. I looked for months before I made a selection. I booked about 3 months before our June rental. The deposit was put on a credit card through Pay Pal and the balance in Euros when we got to the apartment.

After I decided on the area we wanted to be in I picked things that we thought we needed. We wanted the Campo dei Fiori, Piazza Navona area and we were able to walk everywhere - Vatican, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Pantheon - and only took a bus to the Colosseum. We either wanted an apartment with an elevator (since we have lots of luggage) or not more than one flight up. We also wanted a washer/dryer, microwave, free internet and air conditioning.

Good luck and have fun!

Sounds like you found a very nice place to stay!

We just returned from Rome yesterday and we stayed near Termni in a very nice inexpensive hotel two blocks away from the station. We took the train from Civi and also took the train early to The airport. It was a very easy walk from the station and whenever we wanted to go anywhere we just used the metro. I really didn't think the area was seedy at all. The hotel was Hotel Orlanda for 115 euros a night. The room was a good size by Italy standards. The only complaint we had was the small shower. There was even a queen size bed. It also had a tiny elevator but at least it had one and it worked well. There was also a laundrymat next door. I would not advise staying here if you are metrophobic.

Archived