4 Nights in Rome - What area is better suited for walking around on your own

jfer8580

Hi,

We will be spending four nights in Rome before our cruise in May. We are going to hit all the major sights hopefully some on our own and some maybe with a tour company. We don't mind taking trains or taxis but if we can walk somewhere we usually do. We would like to be able though to walk to dinner, shopping and maybe some of the sightseeing. Where would it be best to get our hotel as a base point; The coliseum area, Trevi Fountain or the Vatican.

Thanks for the replies. So these areas will be good as a base and for finding good restaurants and shops when we aren't doing the main sightseeing. If we want to relax for an afternoon or night have a gelato, eat a nice meal we can find all of it easily. Like I said for the biggies we will probably book a tour with transportation so we really just want the option to not ALWAYS have to find a bus or a train.

Any hotel suggestions in the $200.00 to $250.00 price range? I have a few in mind but there are so many too choose from!!

We stayed at the Hotel Artemide on Via Nationale for 3 nights pre-cruise.

We thought the location was good. It is about a 10 minute walk from Termini.

We walked to Trevi Fountain and many other places at night.

We used Romeinlimo for our tours (by day) and walked around in the evenings on our own. Leisurely wandering around sometimes you will find the most interesting sites. One evening we walked into a small basilica, and it was one of the most beautiful ones we saw, and we just "happened" on it.

There is a market across the street from the hotel, where you can get great cheese, wine, bread, olives, etc. The hotel served a very nice breakfast, that is included.

We have already booked our reservation for next year at the same hotel.

Like I said for the biggies we will probably book a tour with transportation so we really just want the option to not ALWAYS have to find a bus or a train.

I can appreciate the desire to be transported without a care, but Rome is so small and compact that it seems like overkill to me. I understand it when folks are coming in from Civitavecchia for the day ... but when you are already staying in town? If you stay in the Pantheon area, pretty much everything a typical tourist would want to see is within one mile. A taxi here and there, if you are going from the farthest points (Colosseum to the Vatican), would probably be all you'd need.

I can appreciate the desire to be transported without a care, but Rome is so small and compact that it seems like overkill to me. I understand it when folks are coming in from Civitavecchia for the day ... but when you are already staying in town? If you stay in the Pantheon area, pretty much everything a typical tourist would want to see is within one mile. A taxi here and there, if you are going from the farthest points (Colosseum to the Vatican), would probably be all you'd need.

I'm sure you're right and we will probably do most of the sightseeing on our own. For now I am really just thinking about the area we will stay in. I think it's better to be close to the things we want to do in our 'down time'. I want it to be easy to find a good restaurant or if we want to do some strolling around and shop without having to get a cab or train.

Hi,

We will be spending four nights in Rome before our cruise in May. We are going to hit all the major sights hopefully some on our own and some maybe with a tour company. We don't mind taking trains or taxis but if we can walk somewhere we usually do. We would like to be able though to walk to dinner, shopping and maybe some of the sightseeing. Where would it be best to get our hotel as a base point; The coliseum area, Trevi Fountain or the Vatican.

Another suggestion is renting an apartment instead of a hotel. Much cheaper and more convenient. The one we are renting in P Navona has a living room kitchen, bedroom and 2 baths. A grocery store right outside to pick up anything you may want to have in the apartment. We are paying 135e a night. We are only staying 2 nights so had few to pick from in the area but if you are staying 4 there are quite a few. The site we used was VRBO.COM but there are lots of other sites. Good luck

Absolutely agree. With an apt. you will have a small kitchen and more room than a regular hotel room. Try this website......there are tons of apts for rent and is done by price and location so easy to pick and choose.

http://www.rentalinrome.com/index.htm

There are some really nice affordable ones near Piazza Navonna and Camp di Fiori.....

We stayed at the Albergo del Senato last trip and it was amazing...... we walked everywhere !!!! from this hotel. Best location to "soak up Rome".

Haven't thought about an apartment but I will look into it. Thanks.

The Albergo del Senato has come up a lot on these boards and I was looking at it but on the nights we want it, it will be $380.00 a night and that is a bit more than we want to spend. I am looking between 2 and 250.

I've stayed at the Santa Chiara (http://www.albergosantachiara.com/), which is in the same neighborhood, but was less expensive than the del Senato, and quite nice. It also has a lovely roof top bar and breakfast area.

Friends just got back last week and loved the Grand Hotel del la Minerve (http://www.grandhoteldelaminerve.com/). I didn't ask what they paid, so I'm not sure how it relates to the Senato in pricing, but their description of the rooms and the service was top notch.

I know that you're looking for more central but if you end up staying more near Termini, last year I stayed at Starhotels Metropole and loved it there. Only a few blocks from termini so everything was within reach pretty quickly. Also nearby was gelato, food, internet cafes. I loved it and will stay there again if I find myself needing a place in Rome :-)

I've stayed at the Santa Chiara (http://www.albergosantachiara.com/), which is in the same neighborhood, but was less expensive than the del Senato, and quite nice. It also has a lovely roof top bar and breakfast area.

Friends just got back last week and loved the Grand Hotel del la Minerve (http://www.grandhoteldelaminerve.com/). I didn't ask what they paid, so I'm not sure how it relates to the Senato in pricing, but their description of the rooms and the service was top notch.

Thanks, I'll check these out.

I know that you're looking for more central but if you end up staying more near Termini, last year I stayed at Starhotels Metropole and loved it there. Only a few blocks from termini so everything was within reach pretty quickly. Also nearby was gelato, food, internet cafes. I loved it and will stay there again if I find myself needing a place in Rome :-)

Thanks.....by the time I'm done who knows where I'll end up. I have been all over the country looking for hotels. When I first started this I was flying to Venice, driving to Florence then on to Rome.......was way too much so we just decided to do Rome with a day trip to Florence. Leave Venice for another trip.

We definately want to be more central but if there is easy access, who knows......we love Gelato. :D

I stayed at the Minerve 3 years ago. You're right - you don't want to know what they paid! I think I paid something in the range of EU300/night. It was a splurge for me. I wanted to be in the Pantheon area. Their rooftop bar was fantastic at night! And, I felt totally safe wandering the area alone at night, even as late as midnight. Between the Pantheon and Piazza Navona area next door, plenty of places for food, coffee, and gelato. Both places are nice for people watching in the evening. It was a very easy walk over to the Trevi fountain area, up to Borghese, and down Spanish Steps. I didn't plan on seeing them - I just wandered around and ran into them!

Hi, I was planning to start a thread and ask these very questions. We are a family group of nine..ages from 40+/- to the 70's. We have been looking at apartments, either one large enough for 9 or for two near each other if we had to split up. So, this info that you have given is just what we need. We will be there the third week in May 2011 for 4 nights. Anyone have any other suggestions for either a place to select or one to avoid? You are right that there are lots of places but not all of them will rent for only four nights, although we have found many. But then some are not available. We tend to be do it yourselfers when it comes to sightseeing. So any and all advice is very much appreciated.

Now, I have also read that the area around Termini, esp. south of Termini can be rather scruffy...amyone else have that experience?

thanks again...L

The area around almost any train station tends to be a little "grittier" than the rest of the town, and Rome is no exception. However, plenty of people stay there because of the proximity to the station. I've done it a couple of times when I had an early train to catch in the morning but, other than that reason, I would stay in a more central location.

It's highly unlikely that you'll find an apartment large enough for your entire family, you're much better off looking for two, or even three small apartments, in one building. Be careful as you look to ask about the floor the apartment is on, as well as whether or not there is an elevator, if anyone in your group will have a problem with stairs. Also, keep in mind that the first floor in Italy is what we would consider the second floor, and that the ceiling heights tend to be in the 12 - 15 foot range, making each flight several steps more than we are accustomed to.

If you can, find one near Piazza Navonna, Pantheon or Camp di Fiori areas. These areas just can't be beat. No way. Walking around from there is what Rome is all about.

I totally agree with this area.We stayed here 2 years ago at the Hotel Smeraldo which is 1/2 block from Campo di Fiori and loved it. The area is convenient,walking distance to almost everywhere you want to go..Have pizza at Da Baffetos and Gelato next door at The Fridgidarium.OMG!!

Avoid The Tremini area it is not safe at night at all and during the day just to many shady characters hanging around doing whatever.. That is the reason hotels are cheaper near Termini,just not a good area.

Hi, I was planning to start a thread and ask these very questions. We are a family group of nine..ages from 40+/- to the 70's. We have been looking at apartments, either one large enough for 9 or for two near each other if we had to split up. So, this info that you have given is just what we need. We will be there the third week in May 2011 for 4 nights. Anyone have any other suggestions for either a place to select or one to avoid? You are right that there are lots of places but not all of them will rent for only four nights, although we have found many. But then some are not available. We tend to be do it yourselfers when it comes to sightseeing. So any and all advice is very much appreciated.

Now, I have also read that the area around Termini, esp. south of Termini can be rather scruffy...amyone else have that experience?

thanks again...L

Try looking on VRBO.com, I did see one in the P Navona area that sleeps 18 people not sure how much you want to spend. You can enter the #246182 and get an idea. You can do a search on Rome and then the areas, filter it for the area you are interested in and the number it sleeps. There are other sites that offer very nice apartments for a decent amount of money

Avoid The Tremini area it is not safe at night at all and during the day just to many shady characters hanging around doing whatever.. That is the reason hotels are cheaper near Termini,just not a good area.

Termini is not an unsafe area. I would rather say the hotels near Termini are cheaper because the area is further away from the historic centre and there are many more hotels here. By Roman standards houses are fairly new, at most 150 years old, and were already built as hotels or at least as appartements. There are hundreds of hotels.

In the historic city centre there are comparatively few hotels in converted palaces and similiar.

Yet the fact that there are hundreds of hotels near Termini and accordingly thousands of tourists just adds to the safety of the area. If one is willing to use public transportation and looks for a less expensive hotel it is perfectly fine.

Nevertheless, given that the OP wants an easily walkable hotel, I, too, would recommend something around Piazza Navonna / Pantheon / Fontana di Trevi.

Hi. soon after I posted, we received an email from the landlord of Dante Apts, described as near Via Merulana and Piazza Vittorio and between the Colliseum and Termini. They will suit our party and are VERY well priced, which I suppose makes me nervous. Does anyone have any info on this building or of this area. I have not looked it up on the map yet, just thought I would ask all of you first. BTW, great info.....thanks so much. L:D

Well, it's not all that far removed from things, though not smack in the middle the way the Pantheon, Campo dei'Fiori and Piazza Navona are.

I've only been in that neighborhood a few times, as there really aren't many tourist destinations there. It is a bit less refined, shall we say, than other parts of Rome. It appeared, again from my limited few visits, to be a center for immigrants.

Archived