7 night trip to AMS - how many pants?

Hoyaheel

We're going to Amsterdam for Thanksgiving, spending 7 nights/6 days there. I intend to pack light - would prefer to do carry-on only but my husband doesn't think he'll be able to do that with the heavier clothing and his camera equipment so we'll probably share a checked bag too (and bring a lightweight duffel for shopping:p) Wondering how many pairs of pants I should bring? The trip will be sightseeing - I anticipate LOTS and LOTS of walking, which is why I'll be wearing mostly my Keen ankle boots (I posted in another thread). We expect cold windy & wet weather (we're fine with that; we often travel in shoulder seasons and prefer it to "perfect weather" crowds:D)

Am thinking 2 prs black pants, 1 khaki or olive? More, less? (we're renting an apartment - in an historic canal house! and will have a washing machine/dryer too)

I'd have thought 2 pairs would be fine as you have the wherewithall to launder and dry. Just bear in mind that our European washers take an age compared to your superquick ones though:(. Hope you have a great trip.

It's a miele, which my mom used to have - it can't be that bad:p

The main reason I'm thinking 3 instead of two is for variety - I like to balance my desire to pack lightly and my need not to wear the same dang thing every day;) So black wool blend, black ottoman knit (for travel & lounging) then something else.

We're going to Amsterdam for Thanksgiving, spending 7 nights/6 days there. I intend to pack light - would prefer to do carry-on only but my husband doesn't think he'll be able to do that with the heavier clothing and his camera equipment so we'll probably share a checked bag too (and bring a lightweight duffel for shopping:p) Wondering how many pairs of pants I should bring? The trip will be sightseeing - I anticipate LOTS and LOTS of walking, which is why I'll be wearing mostly my Keen ankle boots (I posted in another thread). We expect cold windy & wet weather (we're fine with that; we often travel in shoulder seasons and prefer it to "perfect weather" crowds:D)

Am thinking 2 prs black pants, 1 khaki or olive? More, less? (we're renting an apartment - in an historic canal house! and will have a washing machine/dryer too)

I would have a hard time with just 3 pairs of pants! I would probably want at least 3 casual and one better pair of slacks for dress in the evening, maybe travelers which roll up and weigh almost nothing. When we travel I usually wear one pair of slacks during the day and something else at night. However, you will also have the clothes you wear on the plane, so that may help.

I think you'll be fine with those 3 pairs of pants, especially since you have access to w/d. Also bring tops that you can mix and match with all the pants and you'll have loads of outfits. Like catllar said, European w/d take forever - even the good ones! - and often hold a much smaller load than our ginormous Sears Kenmore jobbers that hold an entire wardrobe, and more. LOL

. However, you will also have the clothes you wear on the plane, so that may help.

The 3 pairs I asked about (am planning on) include what I'm wearing on the plane. I'll wear the ottoman knit pants on the plane.

Husband and I spent the afternoon talking about our trip - we're so excited - I love to travel:D (I've been to Amsterdam a couple times, but it's been years) Average high temp in November - 44F. Get used to hat hair, I suppose:rolleyes:

Hi,

Am mostly a lurker, but always enjoy your posts. Couldn't see how to privately message you; don't want to be an alarmist, but I just learned Thurs. PM from a friend that his friends rented an apt. in Amsterdam and when they arrived, it didn't exist! So I hope you have some way to verify, because I can't even imagine the disappointment, frustration to be in that situation! Wishing you all the best!

Well, I've seen the Google street view of the apartment and corresponded with the owner. We haven't paid them anything - we'll pay them cash when we arrive - so if the apartment doesn't exist, we won't be out any money. We'll just find another place:p I'm not realy concerned - it's a gamble, but that's ok for us:D

Well, I've seen the Google street view of the apartment and corresponded with the owner. We haven't paid them anything - we'll pay them cash when we arrive - so if the apartment doesn't exist, we won't be out any money. We'll just find another place:p I'm not realy concerned - it's a gamble, but that's ok for us:D

I love Amsterdam! It is so casual and young. Have you thought about jeans as your other choice? Be sure to take some scarves, the wind near the water is brutal! We walked or took the canal boats everywhere. You can get a hop on hop off pass, the circular trips are a great way to see ahead where you want to explore in more detail. http://www.canal.nl/bus/en/

Visit the VanGogh Museum if you have time and/or interest. It's quite interesting. http://www.vangoghmuseum.nl/vgm/index.jsp?page=101&lang=en

Have an awesome time!

Just a suggestion. See if there is a neighborhood laundry or if the laundermat attendant will do your wash/fold. This works so very well when you have only 7 days. I love to launder but why learn to use the European ones (different from ours and tiny) and the cost was not that bad. We generally travel with 7 days and then wash it up and start over. I am going to AMS in April and just can not wait (which is why I am taking 2 cruises before then -- to just bid the time:D) Please post and tell all about it.

1) I do not wear jeans often, and don't travel with them - too heavy, don't dry quickly enough when wet.

2) Outer layers covered - including cashmere & goretex, not to worry about weather. I'm all set on the layers (I have silk & merino wool long underwear, various tops, etc - and even the pants I would like to bring - just curious about the *number* of pants to bring....

3) I'm not going to pay for a laundromat when I have a washer & dryer for free in my rental apartment- that is illogical and wasteful to me. I'll be in the apartment in the morning and at night - I'll have no problem doing a load or two if necessary.

1) I do not wear jeans often, and don't travel with them - too heavy, don't dry quickly enough when wet.

2) Outer layers covered - including cashmere & goretex, not to worry about weather. I'm all set on the layers (I have silk & merino wool long underwear, various tops, etc - and even the pants I would like to bring - just curious about the *number* of pants to bring....

3) I'm not going to pay for a laundromat when I have a washer & dryer for free in my rental apartment- that is illogical and wasteful to me. I'll be in the apartment in the morning and at night - I'll have no problem doing a load or two if necessary.

But they cut the cold and wind better than most twills and other weaves. I usually take black jean so they don't look so much like jeans. I don't blame you for doing laundry if you have the w/d there to do it! It's like playing house if you do laundry somewhere other than home!:p

But they cut the cold and wind better than most twills and other weaves.

Those of us who do not enjoy wearing jeans have lots of experience finding clothing that works for us, not to worry. I've lived and travelled all over the world - mostly without jeans :p - in temperatures from almost arctic to tropical heat & humidity. I'm not worried about my pants choices and the weather in Amsterdam:D

Those of us who do not enjoy wearing jeans have lots of experience finding clothing that works for us, not to worry. I've lived and travelled all over the world - mostly without jeans :p - in temperatures from almost arctic to tropical heat & humidity. I'm not worried about my pants choices and the weather in Amsterdam:D

It sounds perfect and well thought out!

I love Amsterdam...wish we were going too!:D Have an awesome time!

Archived