Food - RCI vs Carnival

JediSkipdogg

I'm looking at some help here and not looking for anyone to bash the quality of one food vs the other. I have been on two Carnival cruises but due to them changing their single supplement it's game open for other cruise lines. What I'm wondering is what RCI has to offer outside of the main dining room and the buffet.

For example, Carnival has pizza and a sandwich shop where you can get fresh made sandwiches/paninis/subs to order. The pizza is 24 hours and the sandwich is normal day hours but all hours.

I'm looking at traveling on the Monarch of the Seas and am trying to see what else they offer to eat outside of normal hours or outside of the dining room and the buffet.

Monarch of the Seas has Sorrento's Pizza. It is open at different hours. I remember being able to get it during the day and at night as well. They offer lots of different types of pizza. It's pretty good when it's fresh out of the oven, but I am not that picky with pizza.

Beth

Monarch doesn't have too many choices. It's their oldest ship. There is Jade, an Asian restaurant, and Sorrentos, which is pizza and calzones. Sorrentos stays open pretty late. We were able to get slices at 1 am on Majesty...Monarch's sister ship.

Just came off of Monarch.

Sorrento's is more or less open all night (at least up until 5:00am or so), then the WJ opens for breakfast at 6 or 6:30, depending on the day. There's never more than maybe an hour's downtime between locations - if you really can't wait, there's room service, but they'll charge you between midnight and 5am for delivery (something that I personally found not worth the money).

There is no "made to order" anything on the Monarch, from my experience.

If I sound down on the food, it's because I am. I just literally finished my cruise (today) and the food is not something that's going to remain with me as a pleasant memory. It just wasn't that great - but that's my opinion, of course. YMMV. :)

What I like most about Carnival is the availability of food. The buffet is open in one way shape or form from 6 to past midnight.

They have the Deli, the Asian, the pizza/calzone/salad stations, as well as the taste of nations. And an assortment of other offerings, especially on the Spirit class ships.

They have the hamburger/hot dog grill for made to order stuff.

They have the Fish and Chips stand¤.

They have the daily Sushi.

They have daily hard ice cream with all the toppings.¤¤

They have the afternoon high tea with all the finger sandwiches.

And of course they have the MDR.

All included in your fare.

I will say that I avoided RCCL for years due to people posting how bad the food is. Well, although I found it not as good as Carnival's, it was quite good.

And there are many other things that RCCL has that can compensate (although, you may want to choose a better ship).

Mostly, choosing and enjoying a second line just opens up your possibilities.

¤ certain ships only

¤¤ sea days on the Spirit class vessels.

I've yet to be on RC ..but that changes in a week ..but was never impressed with the 24 hour food on Carnival, anyway. I have never had the urge to eat something that heavy at midnight but I know my Mom did it many times, lol. I did like the availability of ice cream all hours though!

We have been on Carnival so much, the food was starting to taste all the same.. because it was. So we are definitely very excited to try something different!

Archived