Comparing the Whisper with the Regent Navigator

south seas sue

I'm looking for feedback from some of you experienced travelers on both the SS Whisper and the Regent Navigator. They both have identical itineraries in Oct 2011 for New England - Montreal/NY. With the promotions, and including airfare, the cost now for a Vista cabin on the Whisper is just a few hundred dollars less than the G-H cabin on the Navigator. I am very familiar with the Whisper, and the Shadow, but have never sailed the Navigator. I am trying to compare both cruises. Here are the differences I see: There are free excursions included on the Nav. One question I have is whether the free excursions are good quality, and favorably compare with ones that you pay extra for. The other difference is that the Whisper does have Formal nights - I can live with that, although of course hubby would prefer the no-tux dress code of Regent.Could some of you weigh in on other considerations, if you were to compare both cruises? We are wait-listed for the Nav., but I imagine it will clear within the next year. At this point I haven't talked to my TA so don't know if the Whisper is sold out. Thanks so much!

We've cruised Navigator and Shadow, which is the same as Whisper in layout with some changes since the refurb on Whisper. After cruising all of the Radisson/Regent ships numerous times Navigator was our least favorite. I'd definitely go for Whisper hands down.

We have sailed on the Navigator twice.(and on both the Mariner and the Voyager) She is a nice ship. She's an older vessel, originally her hull was built for the Russians and sold unfinished to Radisson. Maybe it has been fixed but when we sailed on her there was an occasional " shutter" which was very noticeable and difficult to get used to as the ship sort of groaned and moved..especially on the aft upper decks. Other than the shutter, the ship was well rehabbed and furnished. However, once we sailed on the Whisper, that was it for Regent. The new ships were too big and the Navigator experience couldn't compare with SS. The Whisper is our favorite but all the others in the fleet are wonderful too. The service, the suites, and the well traveled fellow passengers all contribute to a great atmosphere. I think the excursions on both lines are comparable but I must add that we haven't sailed with Regent since they went all inclusive. My vote, when you want a specific itinerary, and you have a choice, is Silversea. Bon Voyage!

concur with my friend Doug..having sailed on both the Whisper and Nav, the Whisper wins out (more interesting dining venues (altho Le Champagne requires

a fee). Whisper sails smoothly compared to the heavy vibrations on the Navigator (my least fav of Regent ships..and we are booked on the Voyager this Nov and Mariner next Nov). Glenda, strongly recommend Silversea Whisper.

Hello:

Having sailed on both, I must say that the Whisper is a far nicer ship and has a better "feel" to it. IMHO it also rides better as the Navigator tends to "creak" more, which some say is because it was not originally built as a cruise ship.

Also, the Navigator does not have the amenities the Voyager or Mariner have....and from the chef on board the Navigator when we complained....he said the kitchens are not as new and up to date as the older two siblings and therefore the food offerings sometimes are "different" which we read as not as good.

Regents excursions are excellent....they do not skimp....even if they are "free"...however their day rates tend to be higher then Silversea these days so me thinks "free" may not be so free.

Whisper hands down in my book. If you were talking the newer Regent ships....I would pause....but no way the Navigator.

Happy Travels.

I do not believe that either voyage would be a hardship! Both ships are quite adequate. However, I would opt for SS whose Whisper is to my mind a bit more elegant than Navigator. On formal nights, DH can go (informal) to La Terrazza. I am no fan of Regent's "included/free" tours. My experience with them has been disappointing (a "free good" so more crowding, queuing, etc., than I would like). I should think that for the cruise in question organized tours would be especially unimportant. It's not as if one is visiting Russia, etc. In New England one can explore (better, to my mind) on one's own.

Archived