Hurtigruten

katrinka34

Has anyone ever taken the Hurtigruten Cruise Line up the coast of Norway? We know it is not luxury, and scenery is the entertainment. Wonder if the many stops 24/7 are much of a hinderance to sleep?

We LOVE Hurtigruten, and are going on our next cruise with them next April.

As for "luxury" -- while it is true that they don't have the flashy on-board entertainment, they DO provide really interesting lectures on the ports (with NO selling..more information about the geography, historical interests, that sort of thing). And the scenery really is awesome!

The ships are elegant, the food is really good (note, though, that it is Norwegian..meaning lots of fish, prepared in all sorts of creative ways, plain boiled potatoes, lots of veggies and fruits).

The crew is very attentive and helpful, and since there are many fewer people on board than you'll experience on a "regular" cruise ship, the attention is much more personalized.

We had no trouble sleeping at all, even with the stops. Our cabin is always on the 3rd deck (where they have handicap accessible cabins), a "working deck", with the car port right below, and we were never bothered at all with noise.

We have been on Hurtigruten twice (once in July and once in December) - both round trips - 11 days.

Both were great.

34 ports each way. The ports that are called at during the night northbound are called at during the day southbound and vice versa. So we got to see each one of the 34 ports!

The world's most scenic voyages.

Went on the oldest ship (Nordstjernen) in February going back on the second oldest (Lofoten) in March. Both carry passengers and cargo but not cars. My Cabin on Nordstjernen was outside at rear and the ropes for tying up were almost outside one of the windows but very little noise. Would imagine much better on the larger ships due to their size. Met some interesting fellow passengers and in March some of us are meeting up again. My previous trip to Norway was 40 years ago so I am glad I am not leaving it so long this time. Didn't hear anything but praise for the Hurtigruten.

Archived