Smokers: All lighters/matches to be banned from airplanes

BabsandPaul

According to a report last night on NBC Nightly news, the Homeland Security Administration is about to ban ALL cigarette lighters and even matches from all airline flights beginning in April. In addition, no vendors in the "secure" area of airports will be allowed to sell these items. Your thoughts? ( Please, this is not meant to start up a debate on the evils of smoking. Thank you.) Paul

Since smoking has been prohibited on all flights for many years, there really is *no* valid reason for anyone to be in possession of lighters/matches on the plane anyway.

Then what do you do when you arrive at the airport? Ask for a light from the first stranger you meet outside? Makes no sense to me.

When I flew out of Providence to Florida in September, my cigarette case looked suspicous on the x-ray so they emptied by purse. I had three lighters and they took one. They said I could only travel with two. That's fine with me, but NO lighters or matches? I think it's a bit much.

AND the airport in Atlanta still has smoking sections. Are they closing them up too?

the airport in Atlanta still has smoking sections. Are they closing them up too?

It's one of the few remaining. Wouldn't surprise me if that came to pass in the next year or so.

FWIW, I have yet to find an online reference to the NBC story anywhere.

My thoughts? This, if true, would not make me a happy traveler.:( :( Whenever I fly, it's for lonnng hours, and I usually have to change planes somewhere between point A and point B. During that wait, I dash for the nearest exit (or smoking area).

I would be highly upset if I didn't have any way to light up between flights. If I can't carry a lighter/matches, and they don't sell them in the airport, that would pose a problem for me.

Well, I guess IF this comes to pass...."IF"..... then somebody will come up with a get-rich-quick scheme of selling lighters at cutthroat prices in the smoking areas outside the terminal bldg. Geez.:rolleyes: Picture the headlines: Bootleg lighter sellers arrested outside ALL airline terminals.

Since smoking has been prohibited on all flights for many years, there really is *no* valid reason for anyone to be in possession of lighters/matches on the plane anyway.

The reason someone would be in possesion of lighters and/or matches when on the plane is because the first thing we do when getting off a plane is to run to the nearest exit and have a cig.

Now, we have to run around the airport to buy a lighter or find someone outside to get a light. I think it is all a big conspiracy by bic. They just want to sell more lighters. They are in on this with the FAA!!:eek:

What is their reasonning for this anyway?

This if from the article (link is above)

Even so, says an internal government memo, "total detectability is not a prerequisite for prohibiting a potential threat to airline security."

Uhhh?????????:eek: That's great. Makes me feel even safer. Is this the way they feel? Ummmm, I shudder think that this is the line they take. Our luck the one that gets through is the terrorist. Great security. They want to forbid something, for safety reasons, but readily admit that it's OKAY to not be 100% enforcable? Why waste the time.

I understand them not allowing matches and lighters to be carried on your person or carryon, but I think that they should allow them to be kept in your checked luggage. It makes no sense to me for them to ban it from being in your checked luggage since you don't have access to that while on the plane anyway.:rolleyes:

my two cents.....i'm not a smoker.....and i feel this getting ridiculous...taking away everyones matches and lighters? what is someone on a plane going to do with them anyway?.....light the toilet paper on fire?....... spend more time scanning passengers and checked in and carried on luggage.i wish the word terrorist didnt exist in our vocabulary:mad: little by little we are losing our freedom.....just can't imagine whats next...

I've been in several bars in different airports where smoking was not allowed.....and if they ban the lighting materials, bars will be under that policy as well - so will not be able to offer matches. No win situation for us smokers.:o

My soon to be DH smokes and I told him about it when they first talked about it a month ago. he was fine with it- he usually doesn't smoke in the airports anyways- until we get to our destination.

I honestly don't think they'll catch it. I'm not going to say what airline I was on but when we travelled in December- I realized after we got to our final destination- 2 layovers- that I had pepper spray in my carryon (purse). I would think pepper spray would be more, at least the same, danger as matches or a lighter though. and if they don't catch the pepper spray- they won't catch a lighter.

I'm just gonna keep on carrying my lighter. You know how many people still carry nail clippers and never get busted? So, that's what I'll do - and if they see it on xray then I'll just say opps I didn't know! (as I hold my matches which are unetecable in my pocket!)

The reasoning behind banning matches is that they were used by the so-called "shoe-icide" bomber a while back in an attempt to ignite the explosives in his tennis shoes. Also, there is one important difference in this directive as noted above..NO lighters allowed even in checked luggage..so don't pack one of your favorite zippos (as I have done previously) in your checked luggage. Chances are it will be confiscated. Paul

Well, if and when that takes effect, that will be the last time my DH flies. He'd go into a full blown paranoia over being restricted from smoking for some indefinite amount of time. As crowded as airports are, there is not always time to leave the secured area, go outside and then get back through security (only to receive the news of yet another delay).

So tell me, if there is a TGI Fridays within the secured section of the airport, does that mean they must stop serving steak and providing guests with steak knives as well? I always wondered about that. What about the Sharper Image store - I think they sell lots of sharp implements. Next thing you know, they will confiscate the belts out of our pants.

Am I the only one who feels that most of these efforts are only providing people with a false sense of security?

Tef, thanks for the link. Interesting article. As a former smoker I can sympathize with the smoke but in this age of terrorism we need to understand the risk involved. My DW likes to knit and sew but some needles are not allowed onboard today. On of these days maybe we can returned to pre-9/11 but not today.

Dave

So tell me, if there is a TGI Fridays within the secured section of the airport, does that mean they must stop serving steak and providing guests with steak knives as well? I always wondered about that.

Actually, those eating establishments within security zones are 'supposed' to have eliminated metal knives all together.........

That being said, look around the plane. There are many hard plastic items, ie. exit signs, that could be broken and make a sharp instrument.

Archived