Smokers: All lighters/matches to be banned from airplanes

BabsandPaul

Tef43, thanks for the link. I checked it out and disposable lighters are permitted in carry on luggage...... I'm unsure what the fuss is all about? :confused: Buy a 79 cent Bic and off you go. I've never had a problem taking them on board.

http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlibrary/Permitted_Prohibited_8_23_2004.pdf

The problem is that the rules are going to change in April. All lighters, matches, etc., will be banned from both carryons and checked luggage.

Guest Time2gocruzn
You can always duct tape a pack of matches to the inside of you thigh or put your lighter in a condom and swallow it for retriveal later.

LMAO!:D

The problem is that the rules are going to change in April. All lighters, matches, etc., will be banned from both carryons and checked luggage.

Where did you go to find this information. I can only see that they are still allowed. I don't have time from the airport to the ship to stop to buy a lighter.

Where did you go to find this information. I can only see that they are still allowed. I don't have time from the airport to the ship to stop to buy a lighter.

Vic, Go back to the 7th post in this thread (from TEF43), it includes a link to the original story on NBC News that states the new rule will go into effect in April. Paul

but maybe on plane trips smokers could substitute nicotine gum?....

As you've already stated....you don't smoke.:rolleyes:

I really don't understand the "big deal"? Tuck a pack of matches into your purse of wallet - no biggie.

IMO everyone that says the Govt is overstepping it's bounds needs to go stand in line with Chicken Little.

I am a smoker (for the moment), and I for one don't quite understand this. If it is in response to the 'shoe-bomber', why didn't they take this action a year ago right after the incident happened? After all, that is usually the knee-jerk reaction of the TSA and the airline industry overall; act now and think about it later. Right now, you can take matches and cigarette lighters on your person or carry-on baggage, but 'strikeless' matches (wooden kind you can light on any metal, for example) are not permitted. I guess my biggest problem is, if they are going to ban matches and lighters, are they admitting they cannot properly screen for explosive material, so they do away with the ignition materials? Myself, I am worried more about them catching the items the bad guys would be using the matches on, rather than the matches themselves.

Just my 2 pennies worth.

Last news report I heard said No lighters but 4 books of matches per person would be allowed. Metal detectors do pick up lighters. I was asked when purse was scanned at a courthouse recently if I had a lighter. It was right beside the pack of cigarettes in plain view in my purse.

If a terrosist wants to carry on a weapon, they will find a way. In the meantime, innocent smokers will be penalized. Guess smokers will quit flying and only cruise from ports that are drivable. That way airlines lose even more money & cruiselines lose some passengers. Looks like a real good way to help the struggling airline industry & economy....NOT!

Gee folks...its a safety measure.....think about it. As a worker of a very busy emergency room...I know that people will use ANYthing as a weapon. Its not to hard to figure out that you could light something on fire w/a lighter...or at least its not for me. This isn't rocket science here.

If this will keep me and my family safe....I am totally for it!! There are all types of psychos out there that are willing to do what it takes to harm someone...I see this everyday.

Off the topic: my father just passed away unexpectedly on 2/5/05. He was diagnosed with lung cancer on Friday 2/4, given >6 months, died the next day on Saturday. He was a heavy smoker. Why do folks want to kill themselves? I just don't get it. He will never get to see my boys grow up nor me get married in May. :( I figured up what he and my mother spend per year on cigarettes last year. They could take 2 cruises per year on that money they blow on cigarettes. No thanks, not me....just give me my cruises and my lung capacity :)

Good day,

Esmerelda

Archived