Smokers: All lighters/matches to be banned from airplanes

BabsandPaul

I agree with being safe but as a smoker I find it difficult to believe that the bic in my pocket is going to harm anyone. If the airlines need to collect them fine but return mine when I arrive at my destination, kinda like a coat check.:rolleyes:

Necessity is the Mother of invention

Now, the need for self-lighting cigarettes. :D

I see, very clearly, the "Shoe-icide" Bomber arguement, but in CHECKED LUGGAGE TOO ? Thomas Jefferson must be turning over in his grave ! :rolleyes:

Guest Time2gocruzn

I don't know what to say here. Yes it is a bit disturbing the restrictions the government comes up with to keep us "safe". I am curious to know how a plane could be hijacked wit a book of matches, lol. BUT I guess while it is hard to understand sometimes, I have to trust that they must have SOME reason to do this, as we all know..they don't tell us everything.

On a personal note...it amazes me how people get all PO'd about fighting for their right to pay big $$ to slowly kill themselves. Is it really worth it? :confused: Sorry...couldn't resist, lol.:D

On a personal note...it amazes me how people get all PO'd about fighting for their right to pay big $$ to slowly kill themselves. Is it really worth it? :confused: Sorry...couldn't resist, lol.:D

It's not about the cigarettes; it's about my personal right to be free of excessive governmental intrusion. Today it's a cigarette, tomorrow it's red meat. Who is to say how you choose to kill yourself? Let's outlaw driving in cars because they kill a lot of people. I'm not a smoker, by the way, but still see the danger in surrendering personal freedom.

It's not about the cigarettes; it's about my personal right to be free of excessive governmental intrusion. Today it's a cigarette, tomorrow it's red meat. Who is to say how you choose to kill yourself? Let's outlaw driving in cars because they kill a lot of people. I'm not a smoker, by the way, but still see the danger in surrendering personal freedom.

I couldn't agree more. Boston Legal did a show on Sunday about a town that outlawed red meat because they considered it a health hazard. Funny, but then you think about it . . . someone else saw that and you know they considered it! :mad:

My father is a lead screener for the TSA. I will ask him this evening about these new regulations.

Guest Time2gocruzn

I KNOW I KNOW!! I was joking!!! :D Hense the "I couldn't resist" and the ":D". Hey...I know people can pick their poison so whatever does it for ya...have at it!

I don't think the government is doing it to restrict my personal freedom, or doing it to send a message I can't smoke because it is bad. I think it is for safety and security reasons. BIG difference between restricting lighters for that reason and restricting them because they think smoking is bad for you.

BTW...why would I want to bring red meat on a plane? LOL!!! JOKE AGAIN...better post a disclaimer with my humor this time:rolleyes:

This in my opinion is getting rediculous. I do not smoke, never have but why the rediculous bans. I live in the northeast and to travel anywhere good you need at least one 2 hour layover plus travel time. So anyone who chooses to smoke which is their right not only is unable to untill they land at their destination but then must purchase a new lighter or matches just to throw them away before returning home. Also how do you enforce this, a lighter or matches are undetectable through the metal detectors. So the only ones on the plane with these impliments will be the terrorists we are being "protected" against. I personally would face a terrorist over a plane full of people on a nicotine withdrawl. Remember you may not smoke but your personal preference will be the next one on the chopping block. Please don't burn my hand with a match!!!

I don't know what to say here. Yes it is a bit disturbing the restrictions the government comes up with to keep us "safe". I am curious to know how a plane could be hijacked wit a book of matches, lol.

djklove,

I, as well as others, have mentioned "shoe-icide" in reference to a Middle Eastern man who was just barely prevented from lighting a fuse on explosives packed in the sole of his shoes. I'm not positive, but I think this was at LAX.

According to the news reports, he was using matches (could also have used a lighter) to try to set off the explosives while on the plane. He had difficulty in lighting the fuse and was prevented from igniting the explosives by alert and proactive passengers of that flight.

I think this new rule is in response to that threat.

Guest Time2gocruzn
djklove,

I, as well as others, have mentioned "shoe-icide" in reference to a Middle Eastern man who was just barely prevented from lighting a fuse on explosives packed in the sole of his shoes. I'm not positive, but I think this was at LAX.

According to the news reports, he was using matches (could also have used a lighter) to try to set off the explosives while on the plane. He had difficulty in lighting the fuse and was prevented from igniting the explosives by alert and proactive passengers of that flight.

I think this new rule is in response to that threat.

Right..I was aware of that situation. I wasn't refering to that situation, which, again I am aware of.

I can understand the logic behind the ban however I don't agree with the proposed action. Since the person that attempted to set off the shoe bomb had the lighter/matches with him I don't understand why the ban on checked luggage. Also, at least at JFK in NY, they make you take off your shoes when going through security. Before if you were wearing anything other than sneakers you had to take them off but now regardless of the foot gear it must come off. I thought this was a consequence of the attemted shoe bomber? (Perhaps this is the health department's newest measure in the war on cigarettes? :D )

Question....

If you have a book of matches in your back pocket is it going to set off the security alarm or something?? I don't get it...I can see searching through your carry-on's but if matches are on you, how will they know?? Also, the metal detectors are just that...metal detectors. Are they going to revamp them to also sense sulfur from a book of matches or something??

Just some dumb blonde questions from a smoker.....lol

Stacy

I have heard the reason knitting needles were banned is because TSA was afraid some one would try to knit an *Afghan*. (Sorry, couldn't help myself)

I would probably smuggle matches, unless they come up with a scanner of some sort that would SMELL them out.....lol

Tef43, thanks for the link. I checked it out and disposable lighters are permitted in carry on luggage...... I'm unsure what the fuss is all about? :confused: Buy a 79 cent Bic and off you go. I've never had a problem taking them on board.

http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlibrary/Permitted_Prohibited_8_23_2004.pdf

Archived