HELP! So Confused

HopeB1

This is my first cruise and we leave in 9 days, and I am so confused.

Fan, Drinks, Flat Iron....and what else needs to go in carry on.

Clothes......and what else should go in checked luggage.

I have read these board for the past 3 months and thank everyone for all the great advice. I just find myself at the last minute confused about a few things.

The only thing I carried in my carry on was my bottle of champagne and a bottle of sour mix that actually never got used and my paperwork. Everything else, including flat iron and powerstrip were in my checked bag. My mom and sister put their non-alcoholic drinks in their checked bags. Not sure if we were supposed to but their carry on was getting too heavy.

I have read these board for the past 3 months and thank everyone for all the great advice. I just find myself at the last minute confused about a few things.

Been on one cruise myself. My advice to you...just breathe, relax and go. You'll be fine. You can put your fan and your flat iron in either your carry-on or checked bag. (If you want them that first night to get ready for dinner, I'd put them in my carry-on.) Drinks are supposed to go in carry-on, but I've seen a lot of folks just kind of bungee cord the 12 pack of sodas to their carry-on.

Relax again, and enjoy your cruise!

Wine, medications, a bathing suite in carry on .. in case you dont get your luggage for a while.

Whats a flat iron .. something for hair?? sorry not sure about that one.

I'm hoping it's a hair straightener myself, because a clothes iron likely will not get through regardless of where it's packed.

yeah i had my hair straightener in my checked bag, dont bring drinks so not an issue for my i beleive they have to be carried on though, just pack anything in your carry on that you will need before the end of the day and you will be fine!

The only thing I carried in my carry on was my bottle of champagne and a bottle of sour mix that actually never got used and my paperwork. Everything else, including flat iron and powerstrip were in my checked bag. My mom and sister put their non-alcoholic drinks in their checked bags. Not sure if we were supposed to but their carry on was getting too heavy.

Several ports have been reporting that you had to remove all drinks from checked luggage ... so you would have had to carry them on loose if you didnt have something to put them in.. not recommended as the rule says carry on only for all drinks, including coke, water, or wine ..why take the chance of having to leave them behind.

First- relax. You will not be in Siberia and if you forget anything- you'll be able to replace it or didn't need it anywya.

Second- flat iron- is that hair? If for clothes, leave it home. Same with fan.

Third- If you are bringing your bottles of wine- those need to be carried on. One bottle per adult is the rule. Many people seem to send other drinks in checked luggage. Despite what it seems here on CC, the vast majority of people cruising do not bring drinks with them. It is not required and you will get by.

The issue of checked vs carry on is (other than the alcohol) is that luggage may go astray, so anything you really must have you carry with you (medications, glasses, etc). It also might not get to your cabin til that evening so if you want to go swimming, for example, carry it with you. We have always gotten our bags and gotten them quite early so don't worry. You have information overload- too much CC can muddle your mind. Imagine all those folks out there who have never read any of this- they still manage to board the ship and have a wonderful time.

They weren't purposely trying to break any rules... Not sure what they'd do anyway since non-alcoholic drinks are allowed. Not like they were smuggling alcohol. They weren't sure and their bags were too heavy for them to carry so they put in checked. My mom also brought a very small travel iron that she didn't realize she wasn't supposed to bring. She couldn't find it after she'd packed it so I was teasing her that she would get called to the naughty room. Either it was too small to see or too small for them to worry about because it all made it to our stateroom just fine.

They weren't purposely trying to break any rules... Not sure what they'd do anyway since non-alcoholic drinks are allowed.

As I said the would either have had to leave it behind or hand carry them on at the two ports that people reported are enforcing the rules.

Relax, we all break rules when we were new. I grabbed some apples from breakfast the last morning and blithely stuck them in my knapsack .. never once connecting the dots, that the customs form I filled out the night before I checked a box saying I was not carrying any produce ashore. Now that I could have run into a fine for .. big duh.

Fan - no (unless it's battery operated), Drinks - soda/juice yes, all others you will have to either sneak on in checked luggage or spring for them on board, Flat Iron yes as long as the cord is not frayed in any way (carry all on). You should also put in your carry-on bag a change of clothing and bathing suit so that you can enjoy the pool at sail-away. Also if you enjoy wine, you can bring one bottle (750ml) each per person - must be in carry-on bag.

Everything else should go in your checked luggage. Make sure to print up enough luggage tags for everyone in your party, and secure with packing tape.

ENJOY your cruise - you're going to love it!

The things you need in a carryone are the things you would need for an emergancy overnight trip -- medications, documents, underwear, perhaps a change of clothes and a bathing suit as well as things you shouldn't have outside of your possession -- necessary documents, electronics. The rest you can fill up with things you want -- books, magazines, cosmetics, snacks, etc.

Congrats on your first cruise! If you are like we were, we overpacked! and dragging heavy carry-ons thru long lines is not very fun...so my advice would be don't sweat the small stuff, take about half of the clothes you think you will need and just enjoy the ride! Then, on your Next cruise, you will have a better idea what you want to bring and what you can live without:)

My carry-on usually consists of documentation, wine, jewelry, camera, sunglasses and something to tie my hair back with (it can get windy at sailaway!). I guess this time it will also be my flat iron and curling iron. I may also carry a spare DOD glass so I can start getting the refills at the get-go!

I packed my flat iron and my fan in my checked bags, no problems.....this was in June on the Conquest.

My fan was battery operated, but had the adapter and I also took an extension cord.....no problems.

I had my champagne in my carryon.

RELAX, don't stress. Your going on a cruise. Once you get on the ship you won't care about any of it.:)

Hey, don't sweat it too much. Make sure any wine and anything you'll need within the first 5 hours onboard or anything you need to live is with you in your carryone. Throw everything else into the luggage. It'll make it to your room, 9 times out of 10 before your dinner than evening. Have fun!

Archived