Extra time in Miami - shop?

Beach Mama3

You didn't mention if your including the 4 hour pre-boarding time at the airport for international flights. That is, In the U.S., you MUST report to the airport no less than 4 hours before your flight is scheduled to leave.

There's no way you have to be at the airport 4 hours ahead of time to fly to Canada. FYI Canada is not classified as International - it is CrossBorder. The plane that will be picking them up hasn't left Canada 4 hours ahead (i.e. if they are flying Air Canada or West Jet). 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. is more than plenty of time to check in at the airport. Canadians do not have to clear customs before leaving the U.S. - they go through Canadian Customs when they arrive in Canada. Its just a matter of checking in and clearing Security - just like Domestic flights.

I've heard of the Dolphin Mall which is supposed to be near the airport, but never been there!

Yup, 2 hours is plenty of time to check in. We are flying direct to Toronto with American Airlines. Flight is at 4:00 and we are off the ship around 9:00. We are going to send out luggae with Luggage Express so we don;t have to carry it with us. I will nee to get to the Dolphin Mall from the MIA.

Hi All,

When we get back from our cruise we will have 3-4 hours to kill before our flight leaves. I wanted to do some shopping (we live in Canada). Are there any malls around the Miami airport that I could do some damage at? :D

The best mall would be the Bal Harbour Shops. http://www.balharbourshops.com/

Dolphin might be the best bet. I love Bal Harbour, but for bargain shopping I think Dolphin is the ticket.

I didn't see where the OP asked for outlet or bargain shopping.

If I have the cash, I'll spend the extra time to get to Bal Harbour!:D So totally worth it.

Don't forget Bayside. It is the first shopping/tourist area to the left as you come off the port - less than 5 minutes away. Most of the shops open 9-10 and there are really good restaurants as well as the 1.5 hour water tour of Biscayne Bay and the Mansions on the islands with Island Queen tours. If you want to get a little more of the local flavor you can walk across the street into the heart of the downtown area where there are many quaint shops and tiny restaurants specializing in cuban/various south american cuisines. Definately try the little "walk up" cafes where you order and eat at a counter or window - awesome cafe con leche!

In that particular area you can find shopping for a budget or some of the finest things at top dollar.

Can you tell I'm a local and a little proud of your city?;)

There's no way you have to be at the airport 4 hours ahead of time to fly to Canada. FYI Canada is not classified as International - it is CrossBorder. The plane that will be picking them up hasn't left Canada 4 hours ahead (i.e. if they are flying Air Canada or West Jet). 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. is more than plenty of time to check in at the airport. Canadians do not have to clear customs before leaving the U.S. - they go through Canadian Customs when they arrive in Canada. Its just a matter of checking in and clearing Security - just like Domestic flights.

I've heard of the Dolphin Mall which is supposed to be near the airport, but never been there!

OK, we'll split the difference Muggie....This is an official response from Miami Airport...

"Good afternoon,

Thank you for contacting Miami International Airport (MIA). In regards to your inquiry, the airlines generally request 2 hours in advance for a domestic flight and 3 hours in advance for an international flight.

Best regards,

Maria Cereceda, Customer Service

Miami-Dade Aviation Department"

Archived