Bad news for all Cruise Critic Groups on Carnival

jandjfun

The reduced deposit was an incentive to book... I'd book quicker at $25/pp than $250/pp. If someone cancels the forfeited the $25/pp deposit and all was well with the world. It made attracting folks to a group cruise easier.

Sure, and the $25 compensates the TA for the work done for the booking if someone cancels. That's fair.

BUT - there is a flip side. Just as it is easier to book at $25 than $250, it is that much harder to make final payment. More may book but more may drop out too. My thinking is that if it is tough for someone to scrape together the full deposit, it will be even tougher to come up with final payment. That's the point of the deposit - to make sure folks are serious about going before they take a reservation. Weed out the window shoppers.

In the end the cruise costs the exact same either way so that's why it did not matter too much to me.

What about the people that booked the cruise with 25.00 deposit, now find out that for the Hawaii cruise the deposit is 775.00 more due by 11/1. Serious people would have paid the whole deposit to hold the cabin of choice, the ones paying just 25.00 may or may not have actually gone. So bottom line, you either pay the 775.00 by 11/1 or you cancel and the TA charges a penalty? That's what the email said that was sent to me by the CC group TA.

I ended up on 14 night Hawaii on Princess at 150.00 pp deposit, and we picked our own cabin. 150.00 pp deposit is a whole lot easier to come up with than 400.00, plus we still have the same amount of time to come up with final payment. Frankly I think it's really cheesy to go back on a policy that many people booked thinking they had a year to come up with final deposit. Carnival should have honored their original rules and then after 11/1 enforce the new ones for new Group cruises.

I had a 30 cabins group for Alaska on Celebrity and if they would have done what Carnival has done, I would have canceled and never booked with Celebrity again, but thats me.

I think you are looking at it from a rational cruiser who can afford to put the full deposit down and commit to taking the cruise.That is how I cruise as well. Unfortunately there are probably many more that can't afford a $500(double accupancy since no solo rates are offered anymore) deposit on a cabin for a group cruise so far in advance.

Uh - one person only pays one deposit - not two.

Others, it seems, are taking advantage... RCCL and Celebrity are going to be doing reduced deposits for Cruise Critic groups only...

Huge bummer...

:(

I don't know who told you RCI reduced deposits are only for CC groups?

RCI has the $25.00 pp deposit available to all groups.

I've known about this for a while now. My TA/BFF is organizing a girls cruise for March of next year, and she sent us notification of this change as soon as she heard about it. Will it affect any future group cruises that we go on? Not really, as we don't usually book group vacations.

Maybe, Carnival is not impressed with all the CC members going to John's blog and making threats. You have to cringe when you read that stuff.

Maybe this will end the "I'm a Cruise Critic member and you better pay attention because we hold a power over Carnival...blah, blah"

...Now you know, Carnival uses CC to tweet cruises, alert them to problems and circumvent smuggling with the tips CC members graciously give them. Outside of that...

This would be a good discussion to end the thread last week about how much attention and homage Carnival pays to Cruise Critic Members and their opinions....Blah, Blah is right ! Just what I thought.

:cool:It won't affect me to much since I usally booked solo and in a 1A I had to pay full deposit!!:o

Now that the 1As are 200% it affects me a lot....I am not paying double when I can pay less elsewhere.

Salty Dingo said solos are not creating enough revenue so its our fault they raised us to 200%. Carnival must be showing increased revenues, enough that they dont care if they alienate all their TAs and groups.

I agree with Host Mach, this will for sure hurt groups, which will hurt revenue to CC that gives us the message board.

I don't know who told you RCI reduced deposits are only for CC groups?

RCI has the $25.00 pp deposit available to all groups.

RCL had a totally awesome price on CC for Oasis when it was new. The price from RCL included fuel and paid gratuities and $100 OBC .. then fuel was removed so they got money off final payment. It turned a good deal into a awesome deal.

Might have some other good deals come along I hope. I know Host Mach is true blue Carnival, but maybe some others like both lines.

Frankly I think it's really cheesy to go back on a policy that many people booked thinking they had a year to come up with final deposit. Carnival should have honored their original rules and then after 11/1 enforce the new ones for new Group cruises.

Carnival is going back on its word all over the place. .. I know lots of things Carnival agreed to, if we change, we are ES and pay out the nose, if Carnival cancels, the cheerleaders say its ok ...

How about the folks who booked solo ES at 150% and now cant get price drops because Carnival changed to 200% .. but these folks booked at 150%, so why should Carnival be able to change the rules unilaterally.. of course the cheerleaders not affected say no big deal ... its always no big deal if it doesnt affect you personally from what Iv seen on CC for the most part. People just brush it off when Carnival does not keep its word.

It doesn't bother me, as I usually book within a few months to weeks before a cruise. This policy might benefit those like me and have more a of a selection of cabins. Besides I usually save up my $ and pay for the cruise when I book.

I look at it as good news.

I am fairly new to CC and am confused. I am coordinating a CC Meet and Greet on Nov. 22 and they are giving me a room, water and coffee, and no charge. So what is this $25 for?

It a reduced deposit for BOOKING the trip, it has nothing to do with what you are talking about.

It doesn't bother me, as I usually book within a few months to weeks before a cruise. This policy might benefit those like me and have more a of a selection of cabins. Besides I usually save up my $ and pay for the cruise when I book.

I look at it as good news.

Those of us who like CC cant think of this as good, if it hurts money to fund this message board.

... kinda like what I said about Carnival going back on its word on the 150% solos already booked, if they are ES they cant cancel, but they cant now get price drops and those posting ... oh its fine, Carnival must have decided this is good for revenue .. not a one of the ones who thinks its fine is booked solo and affected. Too much of this in the world to me, hey if it doesnt hurt me, I dont care who else it hurts.

Sure, and the $25 compensates the TA for the work done for the booking if someone cancels. That's fair.

BUT - there is a flip side. Just as it is easier to book at $25 than $250, it is that much harder to make final payment. More may book but more may drop out too. My thinking is that if it is tough for someone to scrape together the full deposit, it will be even tougher to come up with final payment. That's the point of the deposit - to make sure folks are serious about going before they take a reservation. Weed out the window shoppers.

In the end the cruise costs the exact same either way so that's why it did not matter too much to me.

Final payment was never more...there was always a second payment for the balance of the deposit, then final payment later. ;)

Whats all the bawling about?

$25 deposit always was silly! If your serious pay up or stay home.

I don't want to get myself into trouble, so forgive me if I am wrong

But are you the new Stevaaaaaa

He left and you show up, with the same "Silly" remarks

I am not speaking of your whole quote, just the highlighted part.

Really, does every perk given, have to be criticized...

Why do people get mad at a CD who wants to help people have a better experience on a cruise?

For some people it was a blessing to get the reduced deposit.

Seriously booking it, paying the full deposit on time, and the Final deposit on time.

Never planning on not going on the cruise.

So maybe what we have here, some must suffer the loss of the reduced deposit, because so many mis used it.

Although, I don't know how it could have been mis used, as that is why the penalty to cancel.

I don't know...

It sure was nice while it lasted, so I am grateful for the times I did get to use it.

Final payment was never more...there was always a second payment for the balance of the deposit, then final payment later. ;)

Here is the reduced deposit requirements for Crazies Too - It hardly applies to anybody, and was only good for a month.

A reduced deposit of $25 per person is available for double occupancy, guarantee cabin assignments until February 26, 2010, or while inventory lasts. The full per person deposit of $250 is required for triples, quads, suites and cabin assignments. The second deposit of $225 per person is due March 26, 2010 for those who book at the reduced deposit. The final payment for the group is due June 18, 2010. There is a $50 cancellation penalty per cabin.

Sorry but Carnival is wrong here. If you change your policy that is fine. But BACK DATING to include all estibalished cruises is just wrong. Why not start it with the cruises hence forth.

Is Carnival in a hurt for quick fix of money or do they want to lose customers? I would just like to know why all of a sudden this has come up.

Is Carnival in a hurt for quick fix of money or do they want to lose customers? I would just like to know why all of a sudden this has come up.

Carnivla is not hurting for cash. One need only peruse their financials for that.

Too much of this in the world to me, hey if it doesnt hurt me, I dont care who else it hurts.

I agree. If you knew me, you would know that I am so far opposite of your statement. It just so happens we see the situation from different views. Your view benefits you, my view may or may not benefit me. Looking at the big picture, does this benefit CCL & the customer base? Only time will tell.

I would bet that most people that book cruises don't get too involved with CC's group bookings. So the policy probably doesn't have a big impact on the majority of cruise PAX.

Archived