Bad news for all Cruise Critic Groups on Carnival

jandjfun

It absolutely was $50.00 per person. We booked thru Evan, our PVP. It's a 7-day, on the Triumph, sailing Nov 20, category 8E Balcony.

I believe you. :D

That's a good deal on the deposit. 7-day cruise deposits are generally $250 per person.

Can't say that I blame them. Anything that improves bottom line is a good thing. It's certainly not as if cabins unsold to groups will sail vacant.

The final payment for groups is before the final payment for individuals, so unsold group cabins will free up. If sales are strong for a cruise, Carnival will start reclaiming unsold inventory before final payment.

It may tend to discourage groups from booking far in advance, but could also mean some bargains for groups who wait until closer to the sail date.

How much do I deposit? And when do I pay?

Cruises-To-Nowhere – $50 per guest (nonrefundable), balance payable

no later than 60 days prior to departure date.

3 Day Cruises – $100 per guest, balance payable no later than 60 days

prior to departure date.

4 Day Cruises – $150 per guest, balance payable no later than 60 days

prior to departure date.

5 Day Cruises – $200 per guest, balance payable no later than 60 days

prior to departure date.

6 & 7 Day Cruises – $250 per guest, balance payable no later than 75

days prior to departure date.

8 Day Cruises – $300 per guest, balance payable no later than 75 days

prior to departure date.

Alaska Cruises and CruiseTours – $350 per guest, balance payable no

later than 75 days prior to departure date.

10 Day or Longer Cruises – $400 per guest, balance payable no later

than 75 days prior to departure date.

12, 14 & 16 Day Europe Cruises – $500 per guest, balance payable no

later than 90 days prior to departure date.

14, 17 & 18 Day South America Cruises – $500 per guest, balance

How much do I deposit? And when do I pay?

Cruises-To-Nowhere – $50 per guest (nonrefundable), balance payable

no later than 60 days prior to departure date.

3 Day Cruises – $100 per guest, balance payable no later than 60 days

prior to departure date.

4 Day Cruises – $150 per guest, balance payable no later than 60 days

prior to departure date.

5 Day Cruises – $200 per guest, balance payable no later than 60 days

prior to departure date.

6 & 7 Day Cruises – $250 per guest, balance payable no later than 75

days prior to departure date.

8 Day Cruises – $300 per guest, balance payable no later than 75 days

prior to departure date.

Alaska Cruises and CruiseTours – $350 per guest, balance payable no

later than 75 days prior to departure date.

10 Day or Longer Cruises – $400 per guest, balance payable no later

than 75 days prior to departure date.

12, 14 & 16 Day Europe Cruises – $500 per guest, balance payable no

later than 90 days prior to departure date.

14, 17 & 18 Day South America Cruises – $500 per guest, balance

Ok, ok, I get that you don't believe me. :p

Perhaps our lower-than-normal deposits were because of compensation we received from Carnival from our previous cruise? I don't know. But I know what we put down as a deposit, and I know what we paid in total--and neither, apparently, are remotely close to what the web site quotes as prices.

I'll consider us very lucky. :)

If that's the case, it actually may work to Carnival's benefit. Cruises booked very far in advance tend to be cheaper than the same cruises booked closer to sailing. It's not always true, but it seems to be the overall trend.

Well, heres the thing.

A group leader can apply to cruise critic to book a group cruise really far in advance. So if it is approved by CC, then Carnival will set the group price and amenities for that sailing. The contract with carnival is accepted by cruise critic (and the group leader) and the price is set in stone from that point on. So even if nobody books until the final payment is due, the price remains the same.

On the Miracle sailing we will be going on in March, the savings on a balcony cabin is HUGE! Due to price increases since we accepted the groups price. Plus the amenities are really nice as well. So there are great reasons to book into a CC group cruise.

Here is the email group leaders recieved this morning from the cruise critic TA.

Carnival's New Group Deposit Policy and Its Impact on You

Effective November 1, 2010 for all existing and new group bookings sailing January 2011 and onward, Carnival will require the FULL per person deposit in order to secure a reservation number. For those reservations that are currently booked with only the $ 25 per person reduced deposit, the FULL per person deposit is required to be paid prior to November 1, 2010 so you can maintain your reservation number. If you choose not to satisfy the FULL per person deposit by November 1, 2010, then your reservation will CANCEL and the $ 25 per person deposit will remain on group level without a booking number associated with it until the full per person deposit is paid, at which time you will be rebooked into the group and a new reservation number will be established.

Without a booking number you will have NO visibility into your reservation on Carnival's website and ANY previously secured modifications to your booking will also CANCEL, including but not limited to the following:

- secured dining times (i.e. early, late or anytime dining)

- booked shore excursions

- completed Funpass

- submitted coupons, Funship Dollars or Future Cruise Certificates

- applied stockholder onboard credit

- purchased Bon Voyage items

We have attached a letter from Carnival Cruise Lines informing you of these new policy changes being imposed and enforced by Carnival. In addition, you may view the Group Deposit policy and FAQs on Carnival's website goccl.com and select the link in the bottom left hand corner titled Group Deposit Policy under the Latest News & Updates section.

We at ****** fully understand the confusion and concern that will be associated with Carnival's new Group Deposit Policy. We want you to know that we are dedicated to answering all questions and will handle your reservation in a manner that best suits your needs. Please feel free to contact me directly either by phone or email to address any questions and to advise me how you would like to maintain your reservation. It is your choice as to whether or not you prefer to keep your reduced deposit with Carnival (and forfeit your current reservation number) until the second deposit is due, or if you prefer to maintain your current reservation number by paying the additional deposit prior to November 1, 2010.

I look forward to hearing from you before the November 1, 2010 deadline in order to answer any questions and assist you with securing your reservation.

No e-mail for me, and a bummer too,

I have my full deposits in, and am ready for final payment, but now Nick has to cancel his booking, I wonder what that is going to cost me.

I guess I had better make a call...:mad:

Wow! It seems as though Carnival is slowly but surely cutting all forms of TA's from doing business with them. While it does make business sense to eliminate people from securing a booking with merely a $25 deposit thus allowing them to easily cancel down the road with minimal impact it sure doesn't leave much left for CC to offer as incentives to booking with a group. I feel badly for all those CC'ers who have cruises they are looking forward to in the future but have not paid a full deposit and risk losing their reservation if they don't put the full amount down in time.

Perhaps there could have been more notice given as well. There isn't alot of time left for people to come up with full deposit amounts at this point with so little notice.

Corporations have every right to make changes to make themselves more profitable but some of those changes bring consequences with them. I sure hope Carnival hasn't eliminated some of the perks that have made them accesible to the everyday cruiser thus opening the door for other cruiselines to step in and welcome them with open arms. While Carnival is making these changes if other lines are stepping up and offering new incentives it could very well hurt Carnival in the long run.

I'm not affected by reduced deposits because I prefer to choose my room upon booking. That has always required a full deposit. I do feel badly for those that are about to receive the news of this change.

Well, heres the thing.

A group leader can apply to cruise critic to book a group cruise really far in advance. So if it is approved by CC, then Carnival will set the group price and amenities for that sailing. The contract with carnival is accepted by cruise critic (and the group leader) and the price is set in stone from that point on. So even if nobody books until the final payment is due, the price remains the same.

On the Miracle sailing we will be going on in March, the savings on a balcony cabin is HUGE! Due to price increases since we accepted the groups price. Plus the amenities are really nice as well. So there are great reasons to book into a CC group cruise.

I thought there was a limited amount of cabins that could be secured at that price as well? Once that allotment of cabins were booked then it became a higher price? If that's not the case then it would certainly make more sense to wait longer before booking.

I have an ES cruise booked for Feb 2011 with full deposits. It might end up being a good thing for cruisers like me. If come Nov people cancel in droves then they may put sales on to fill these spots earlier and we might end up with nice credits. It sucks for those who are truly going to cruise those particular groups though, to come up with the full deposit just before Christmas. We will see what happens.

Honestly, the reduced deposit was not a perk to me. Seems like the OP really thinks it is though.

It makes no difference in the amount of money you have to come up with by the full payment deadline. You may lose the interest you could have earned with the money that was not paid sooner, but with today's low money market rates, that's peanuts.

Think of interest this way: $475 of extra deposit * 2% annual interest income * 6 months = $4.75.

Are you going to switch cruise lines over $4.75? Don't expect much company!

Well, heres the thing.

All this is true, but what might happen is like what happen on our Spirit Cruise to Alaska last week.

CCL was selling the cabins pretty well, and took back all of the Cabin we still had available,

so even though we DID have a great price, it was snapped back by CCL,

and anyone booking with the group after that had to pay a higher amount

for example, we had 13 cabins booked, and the rest were taken back by CCL,

then my parents decided they wanted to go,

and it cost them the same for their Inside state room and it cost me for my Balcony Cabin.

So even with out the reduced deposit, it is wise to book early and get the better price, before CCL takes back Cabins,

and they can at any time....

Maybe, Carnival is not impressed with all the CC members going to John's blog and making threats. You have to cringe when you read that stuff.

Maybe this will end the "I'm a Cruise Critic member and you better pay attention because we hold a power over Carnival...blah, blah"

...Now you know, Carnival uses CC to tweet cruises, alert them to problems and circumvent smuggling with the tips CC members graciously give them. Outside of that...

Honestly, the reduced deposit was not a perk to me. Seems like the OP really thinks it is though.

It makes no difference in the amount of money you have to come up with by the full payment deadline. You may lose the interest you could have earned with the money that was not paid sooner, but with today's low money market rates, that's peanuts.

Think of interest this way: $475 of extra deposit * 2% annual interest income * 6 months = $4.75.

I think you are looking at it from a rational cruiser who can afford to put the full deposit down and commit to taking the cruise.That is how I cruise as well. Unfortunately there are probably many more that can't afford a $500(double accupancy since no solo rates are offered anymore) deposit on a cabin for a group cruise so far in advance. Many have several group cruises that they are signed up for as well. I know when a group cruise is first offered there is usually a really long list of people that want to go on the cruise. They call Johnna and get confirmed with their $25pp deposit then sit and wait for the months/years to dwindle leaving them plenty of time to change their minds because all they have vested in it is $25pp. Those $25 pp deposits have been allowed to be applied towards another cruise as long as it's booked through the CC group agency as well. So really for the $50 per cabin it took it was pretty easy to say "Yeah I wanna go too" but now when the amount is $500 per cabin how many are going to be jumping to put that much down so far in advance?

The reduced deposit was an incentive to book... I'd book quicker at $25/pp than $250/pp. If someone cancels the forfeited the $25/pp deposit and all was well with the world. It made attracting folks to a group cruise easier.

If you look at all of the Cruise Critic group cruise about 80% of them are on Carnival ships... wonder why????

The Crazies are going to be sailing on the Conquest again next year before she moves to NOLA but I can't see any advantage to setting it up through Cruise Critic, really...

:(

Am I reading this correctly that all of the CC group bookings were done with a third party TA as opposed to directly through Carnival? With the news a few weeks/months back about TAs not being able to offer extra incentives, this new policy just seems to align with that.

And the money thing comes out in the wash. You either spend it now or spend it later. It's not like you were given any type of actual price break :confused:

Also, maybe some people will like having less due at final payment, so it could work out better? For example:

$1000 total cruise for 2 = $50 now and $950 due at final. OR $500 now and $500 due later.

Thank you Carnival for reducing my final payment amount!

It's a matter of principle, some people would rather have the money in thier bank account a little longer than putting it into Carnival's. ;)

It just means no rush of early bookings for the group cruises with the 25.00 deposit, people will just wait longer before booking.

If it makes the booking more reliable, maybe that was their intent;)

Personally, I don't understand what all the flap is about! The rest of us pay full deposit. Why shouldn't CC groups? At least this keeps some people from booking just to hold a spot, but without full commitment. I never book a cruise that I don't intend to take. Sometimes circumstances change where I have to cancel, but that happens! Cruising is still the best travel deal out there! And in my opinion, Carnival still offers the best experience for the money.

Joyce;)

First it was the ES price better than group prices, then 1As could not be booked thru the CC TA, now these new negatives.. I agree with you, even if Schultz doesnt.

Enjoy...

somehow I don't think this will reduce the number of group cruise threads on Carnival or anywhere else.

Not wanting to put words in Sargent Schultz mouth but he said he didn't think it "will reduce the number of group cruise threads ."

In other words it may reduce CC group bookings but not CC chatter.Not sure about Sargent Schultz but I agree with you.

I don't believe this policy change will have a big effect by itself but bit by bit, policy by policy, Carnival is making a strong effort to

alienate its most loyal customers.

I don't get it must they must.

Not wanting to put words in Sargent Schultz mouth but he said he didn't think it "will reduce the number of group cruise threads ."

In other words it may reduce CC group bookings but not CC chatter.Not sure about Sargent Schultz but I agree with you.

I don't believe this policy change will have a big effect by itself but bit by bit, policy by policy, Carnival is making a strong effort to

alienate its most loyal customers.

I don't get it must they must.

Or another way to look at is that many cabins held at $25/cabin and that some go soft later will be available (sooner )and the price would not go up as the cruise approaches....;)

Am I reading this correctly that all of the CC group bookings were done with a third party TA as opposed to directly through Carnival? With the news a few weeks/months back about TAs not being able to offer extra incentives, this new policy just seems to align with that.

And the money thing comes out in the wash. You either spend it now or spend it later. It's not like you were given any type of actual price break :confused:

Also, maybe some people will like having less due at final payment, so it could work out better? For example:

$1000 total cruise for 2 = $50 now and $950 due at final. OR $500 now and $500 due later.

Thank you Carnival for reducing my final payment amount!

With the $25 reduced deposit, there is that, for your commitment , then about 1/2 way to the sailing date you pay the rest of the Deposit, then toward the end the Final payment.

Personally, I don't understand what all the flap is about! The rest of us pay full deposit. Why shouldn't CC groups? At least this keeps some people from booking just to hold a spot, but without full commitment. I never book a cruise that I don't intend to take. Sometimes circumstances change where I have to cancel, but that happens! Cruising is still the best travel deal out there! And in my opinion, Carnival still offers the best experience for the money.

Joyce;)

Because it was a PERK for booking with the CC Group, that's why...

Just saying :rolleyes:

I only Book a cruise I fully intend on taking also,

but it is nice to Book it 1 1/2 years out, and save up for the deposit, and final payment...

It was just a nice perk! To bad it is going, going, and almost gone.

Archived