Sushi and Early Seating Dinner

hmwinter85

Hello everyone

I just wanted to start my first post off by saying how excited I am to be a part of this community. I have been lurking on these boards for a few weeks now and have become slightly obsessed. The information on here is incredible. I don’t know how I cruised with out it in the past. I have been on 5 cruises, 4 with Carnival, but since 3 of them took place before I finished high school I still consider myself to be new at the planning part.

Right now I’m in the beginning stages of planning a cruise for a group of friends. We are planning on going on the Freedom on June 26, 2011 though no one has booked yet. On our last two cruises (Liberty & Paradise) my DH and I have enjoyed going to the sushi bar before we got ready for our late seating dinner. For our next cruise I was thinking it might be better to do early seating dinner so that we could still see all the shows and hit up the night life after. Does anyone know if we would still be able to get sushi before the early dinner seating on the Freedom?

Holly

Hello everyone

I just wanted to start my first post off by saying how excited I am to be a part of this community. I have been lurking on these boards for a few weeks now and have become slightly obsessed. The information on here is incredible. I don’t know how I cruised with out it in the past. I have been on 5 cruises, 4 with Carnival, but since 3 of them took place before I finished high school I still consider myself to be new at the planning part.

Right now I’m in the beginning stages of planning a cruise for a group of friends. We are planning on going on the Freedom on June 26, 2011 though no one has booked yet. On our last two cruises (Liberty & Paradise) my DH and I have enjoyed going to the sushi bar before we got ready for our late seating dinner. For our next cruise I was thinking it might be better to do early seating dinner so that we could still see all the shows and hit up the night life after. Does anyone know if we would still be able to get sushi before the early dinner seating on the Freedom?

Holly

You can certainly get some sushi before the early sitting for dinner- but i did find it rushed! I was then too full to enjoy anything but the Entree for Dinner...

Hello everyone

Holly

Welcome! Sushi starts at 5pm I believe, so if you are early seating that might make it tough. If I may suggest, have you looked at Anytime dining? We have done this option last couple cruises with CCL and really enjoyed it. We always go get sushi, and then we just go to dinner once we get hungry again. Have fun planning!

Our experience was that the sushi line was very long. If you head to the sushi bar later, say at 6 or 7pm the line is shrunken down. So it might cut it close for early seating. I think you might want to do anytime or stick with late seating. The shows usually are scheduled late so everyone can attend or there are two seating shows.

Welcome to CC!! I agree with the previous posters. We usually have the late seating and we get sushi as soon as they open for a snack before late dinner. We tried to get it before with early seating and we could hardly eat our dinner.

To the person who asked if the Sushi bar costed extra, the answer is no. It is included. I enjoyed it when we had late dinner seating. It was a nice late afternoon snack. However, if you have early seating, I would say go and have it when it opens at 5.30, and consider it your appetizer course. Then, in the dining room, order only the entree, or 2 appetizers. But I would definitely try it once.:)

I haven’t been on the Freedom yet, but I assume they do it the same way as all the other ships. The sushi is all pre-made. They have three different kinds each night, I don’t ever remember seeing any tempura. They are severed on a little plate with one piece of each kind, unless you ask for something different. Make sure you get there right as they open because the line gets ridiculously long very quickly.

If you have early assigned dining and feel eating sushi will dampen your appetite for the MDR food, try it on a night you don't feel like rushing and getting ready for the MDR, have your sushi fix then go to the buffet or other dining venues on the ship.

Rose

Hello everyone

Holly

sushi is available at the sushi bar from 5pm until 8:15pm and the same sushi is also available at the buffet on the lido deck during dinner hours.

Our last cruise we ate in the buffet for dinner 3 times so that's how I discovered that. :)

Bill

what is the variety like at the sushi bar? is it pre-made or do they make it fresh? is tempura available? leaving Saturday on the Freedom!!! thanks!

It changes somewhat from day to day. Usually like a Cali roll, boston roll, spicey tuna roll, shrimp nigiri, stuff like that. They make them by hand, but in big batches, then give you a little plate with all the nights offerings (usually 3 pieces) and your all set. Go back for another plate as many times as you want. They have a nice selection of sauces, ginger, etc. Had it almost every night!

There was a young man about 13 in front of me in line and ordered a california roll. The sushi guy said only whats on the menu, so the kid says give a dragon roll which also wasn't on the menu.

Finally he said give me 1 of each. They had 3 different kinds per night but this cruise it didn't seem that good for some reason.

Bill

There was a young man about 13 in front of me in line and ordered a california roll. The sushi guy said only whats on the menu, so the kid says give a dragon roll which also wasn't on the menu.

Finally he said give me 1 of each. They had 3 different kinds per night but this cruise it didn't seem that good for some reason.

Bill

Ya, it's certainly not custome made. And not A1 best quality. Think sushi from a good quality mall sushi place, think FREE sushi from a good quality mall sushi place.:)

Archived