Carnival Dream or NCL Epic w/2.5 yo?

mj cruiser

We are trying to decide between both of these ships. From reading the difference is that Carnival will change diapers? Any others? We did do Royal Caribbean w/the in room daycare last year when he was 15 months.

Thanks in advance

Just got off the Epic a few weeks ago, absolutely spectacular and with out a doubt the single best non Disney cruiseship afloat for a 2 year old. The diaper changing room is huge. If you read the recent reviews of the Carnival Dream they are not that good. I met a couple on a shore excursion who was on the Dream and they told me it was a crowded horrible experience and they hated it. By the way my little one is 2 and has been on 9 cruises with multiple lines...she loved the EPIC as did we.....on the flip side our recent Carnival cruise was one of the worst....and that is saying something.

We did the carnival dream in January and my little ones loved it. You need to take the reviews with a grain of salt. Neither cruise line allows non potty trained children in the pool or water area. My 2yr old DD was potty trained so they both enjoyed the little slides. Carnival has an 18 hole mini golf while ncl doesn't have mini gold. Kids love playing minigolf. The camp carnival staff in the 2-5 yrs old were so attentive to our littles one and every night during dinner they would beg us to go there. They had so many planned activities planned for the little ones. I'm sure you will enjoy either ship you choose

We did the carnival dream in January and my little ones loved it. You need to take the reviews with a grain of salt. Neither cruise line allows non potty trained children in the pool or water area. My 2yr old DD was potty trained so they both enjoyed the little slides. Carnival has an 18 hole mini golf while ncl doesn't have mini gold. Kids love playing minigolf. The camp carnival staff in the 2-5 yrs old were so attentive to our littles one and every night during dinner they would beg us to go there. They had so many planned activities planned for the little ones. I'm sure you will enjoy either ship you choose

So by your logic, we should take reviews with a grain of salt, so therefore we should take what you have said with a grain of salt? Kinda wierd, 2 year olds dont do mini golf so not sure why you made an issue of that. The Carnival Dream can not even remotely compete with the EPIC. To be quite honest, I am not sure any one at this point can compete with the EPIC in the 2 year old category. LIke I have said before, I don't believe there is such a thing as a bad cruise, but again...Carnival is Kmart, sure you can go and have fun and get what you need but NCL EPIC is Saks 5th ave, it is all that and a bag of chips. So it is up to you, go have a good time or go have a great time, personally I know the difference between the two when it comes to cruising.

Personally, I would probably not cruise NCL again unless the ports and/or price were vastly better than another line. I'm not a fan of the dining situation, but it is something to consider when taking children. My 2 year olds loved the dinners on Carnival (set seatings with some kind of theme/party/dancing waiters, etc. each evening). Others may prefer the "come when you feel like it" system on NCL, especially with young children. We enjoy the old fashioned kind of cruising with timed seatings in the dining rooms, formal nights, etc. Others will prefer the more casual NCL style. It's nice that there's something for everyone - I don't see how anyone can say one is absolutely better than the other or berate someone else's choice.

Best,

Mia

I agree with Kerry's Girls - it's nice that there's something for everyone! While I haven't sailed on either ship, there are some things about the Epic that make me pause. First, the rooms are just so small unless you get a really expensive suite. There doesn't seem to be a middle ground. For two people this isn't a big deal, but when you add a toddler to the mix (and possibly a crib depending on early vs. late 2?) it can get pretty tight. Second, I spent some time reading the cruise reviews of Epic and there seem to be some design flaws and problems being reported. Glad to hear that rolloman had such a good time! We had been considering that ship, but think we might wait awhile based on what we read. We had also been reading about Dream and heard some concerns about crowding, lack of deck space. Obviously there will be plusses and minuses to each cruise. Hope you enjoy your cruise, whichever ship you decide on!

Just off the Dream and our girls loved the camp carnival activities. They are 4 and 9 and there was so much to do that they begged to go first thing every morning. We have been on RCCL and Princess previously and they both prefered the Dream hands down:) In my mind a plus for carnival in your situation is that your two year old can participate in "camp" activities while you take a break! I love having my girls with me but it was nice to have some time to relax and read a book.

As far as other coments about Carnival to each their own. This was our first time on Carnival and we would not hesitate to sail with them again. We have stayed all over the world, in every type of accomidation from the Four Seasons to the Motel 6 and have learned to appreciate the beauty in every place (and person).

Just got off the Epic a few weeks ago, absolutely spectacular and with out a doubt the single best non Disney cruiseship afloat for a 2 year old. The diaper changing room is huge. If you read the recent reviews of the Carnival Dream they are not that good. I met a couple on a shore excursion who was on the Dream and they told me it was a crowded horrible experience and they hated it. By the way my little one is 2 and has been on 9 cruises with multiple lines...she loved the EPIC as did we.....on the flip side our recent Carnival cruise was one of the worst....and that is saying something.

Sorry I'm a bit off topic, but did you make it to the Ice Bar? I'm considering cruising on the Epic, and the Ice Bar intrigues me. I haven't found a review yet that talks about the Ice Bar.

Sorry I'm a bit off topic, but did you make it to the Ice Bar? I'm considering cruising on the Epic, and the Ice Bar intrigues me. I haven't found a review yet that talks about the Ice Bar.

To me the ice bar is kind of a novelty, I did not pay to go into it as there always seemed to be a line of people waiting. I am not a big fan of being cold. Everyone who participated that I talked to said it was worth it.

As far as some of the comments above, I have a bad problem of answering the question specifically. The question was for a 2.5 yr old what was the best choice, Dream or EPIC. I gave my opinion. EPIC Pool area enormous, no crowding ever experienced onboard, never waited for an elevator, get a deluxe balcony and you have plenty of space for a little one. The kids club was huge and the staff excellent. As for dining, if one wants to eat lets say at 6pm everyday, ok well you eat at 6pm, never had to wait or make a reservation for the no extra cost dining rooms, just walked right in. NCL is not my favorite line, but right now for a 2-3 year old on a Jewel or EPIC class ship, they are tough to beat.

EPIC- Nickalodean multiple characters, breakfast, shows and events.

Carnival Dream- Funship Freddie, you can shake his hand.

We just returned from the Elation out of Mobile. I know this is a different ship then you asked , but my kids loved Camp Carnival. I have a 4 year old and a 6 year old and they were asking to go. I did see the 2 year old room and there were lots of things that were planned and the kids always looked happy.

One other thing we enjoyed was that they offered babysitting for fee after 10pm. We paid $10/hour for them to watch our kids while we went to a show. We pay that to a normal sitter and the kids are not that entertained.

Keep reading post, as someone else said take each one with a grain of salt. Every Family is different..we Happen to be the Kmart type and loved Carnival for it value and service.

Good Luck and have fun on your cruise.

I think the prices are better on carnival compared to the Epic right now. Yes, my 2 yr old enjoyed minigolf. Some people look down their noses at carnival but they are a great value for your money and great with kids.

I agree with you. My kids LOVE Carnival. I do want to sail the EPIC and ALLURE and Oasis of the seas but cannot really justify the cost yet since my kids are very happy with Carnival , so when we find a good deal, we will go on those lines.

• 2 weeks later...

Another definitive vote for the EPIC. We just got off the ship Saturday. 24 in our group. All of the kids just loved the kids club. It is huge and bright. They are wonderful with the little ones. You should look into the pricing. We had great pricing. Not sure what I can post here, but my email is in my signature. This is the best family ship ever. We've been on 25+ cruises - our family favorite - so far.

Archived