Why Do I Need A PVP?

megmno

So we're booked on our third ever cruise on the Valor in August 2011. I had a great time researching all the possible cabins online, and when I was ready I called the toll free number and made my reservations. The people at the call center were great, explained stuff to me about ES etc (although I already knew pretty much everything about it from CC). A few weeks later I called to upgrade the rooms, and again they were great.

So last night we got a call (on DH's cell phone, even though I'm the vacation planner of the household) from "our new PVP". He was unaware that we already have a booking planned, and since we are (unfortunately) once a year cruisers there's not much else he could do for us. He asked that I keep his number in case we have any other questions.

My question is -- what's the point of even having a PVP? If I have a question or another change to the booking I would prefer to just call the 800 number at my convenience than have to track down this guy. Does anyone else have a good reason for bothering with a PVP?

My PVP has done things like point out that the particular room is not in a good location... noise above, noise below. He supplies extra cabin info that you cannot see on a map (the ship was recently refurbed and that room is actually bigger now). He also will arrange to ensure we are dining at a table with our firends (links reservations). He has also called me up with some great last minute deals (we had a 3 day cruise to nowhere for $99 each) This was an itinerary change due to a hurricane. I have been working with Sean M. for many years now. He is just like a good travel agent. He is looking out for my best interests. It is always nice to have somebody on the inside working for YOU!

So last night we got a call (on DH's cell phone, even though I'm the vacation planner of the household) from "our new PVP". He was unaware that we already have a booking planned, and since we are (unfortunately) once a year cruisers there's not much else he could do for us.

When you contact the 800 number, a "lead" is generated which is then assigned to a PVP. That's why you got a call from this person, even though you're already booked.

What's the point of even having a PVP??

Everybody has a different opinion about PVP's, but during the last 5 years, our PVP has gone beyond the call of duty for us over and over. The most amazing thing was her taking the time to meet us on the Carnival Liberty a few years ago. She provided us with a tour of the ship before departure, and we were even allowed to bring some of our friends onboard for a few hours. Creating that relationship over the years is what allowed us to do this, something that would've never happened talking to a random agent every time I called the 800 number.

Our PVP has been an awesome tool. We've used her for MANY cruises. She keeps our profile with all of our preferences, rates we qualify for, etc. When we call to book a cruise. All we say is: "Book it!". She already has all of our information stored, including names of all passengers, dates of birth, copy of my airline ID (for the interline rate), dining preferences, home address, etc.

We know that we're getting consistent, professional service, instead of calling the 800 number and risking talking to someone who may know what they're doing vs. someone who may not..

So we're booked on our third ever cruise on the Valor in August 2011. I had a great time researching all the possible cabins online, and when I was ready I called the toll free number and made my reservations. The people at the call center were great, explained stuff to me about ES etc (although I already knew pretty much everything about it from CC). A few weeks later I called to upgrade the rooms, and again they were great.

So last night we got a call (on DH's cell phone, even though I'm the vacation planner of the household) from "our new PVP". He was unaware that we already have a booking planned, and since we are (unfortunately) once a year cruisers there's not much else he could do for us. He asked that I keep his number in case we have any other questions.

My question is -- what's the point of even having a PVP? If I have a question or another change to the booking I would prefer to just call the 800 number at my convenience than have to track down this guy. Does anyone else have a good reason for bothering with a PVP?

I have a PVP and have used him for our last 4 cruises. He has always given me immediate responses to questions I've had and most importantly the information he provides has always been correct. I have his direct line with Carnival as well as his home and cell phone numbers. He makes himself available to his clients. If he is on vacation there is a fellow PVP that he works closely with that takes all of his calls. For me it's the peace of mind knowing when I ask him to do something for me or I need to know something it's taken care of right away. That wasn't always the case with the competing agency I used to book with. I realize my PVP is a rare find and I really appreciate all he does for my bookings :)

Nope, no real reason to have one.

I didn't use one when we booked our first cruise but after reading your responses, maybe I will use one for the next one.

How do you get your own PVP? Is there a special PVP number?? (that sounds like dumb question, doesn't it?) LOL!

I have the same question: how do you get one of these magical people? Is it just the luck of the draw or can you request someone based on a recommendation? We used an online agency to book our first cruise and had a few issues with "fuzzy math." I want someone that I can use consistently.

Nope, no real reason to have one.

No real reason but i rather work with only one person rather than having to explain my situation everytime I call. It's not about getting a better price 9they can't do magic) it's about service

We love our PVP. She has all our information, knows our likes and dislikes, dining preferences, and such. We called recently to book our cruise for next year and were on the fence about what type of balcony to book. She had pictures she took herself of the different types on the Carnival Pride and sent them to us. It helped us make a more informed decision. It's just the little things she provides that makes a difference for us.

I received a call the other day from someone who said she was my PVP, she was a flake. I knew more then she did. I told her what cruise we were looking at, the ship, ports and the day it left and she kept wanting to send me on other ships. She wouldn't even give me the ES price wanted me to take the September sale price. Not someone I want to deal with.

I know that its against the policy here to give out PVP names but can someone email it to me or is that a no no also? pamelak1 @ hotmail

You don't!!! I have never, and probably will never use one. IMHO I can do a much better job than a PVP any day when it comes to booking and servicing my cruise...

I need a listing of some of your PVP's because I am done with mine! Maybe I just didn't "connect" with mine, but I haven't found him helpful and I didn't feel "personal" from him at all.

Today was the last straw. He sent me an email for a sale for cruises leaving out of Baltimore to Bermuda on April 27th, 2011. We just booked a cruise with him in June for Bermuda leaving from Baltimore for April 10, 2011!? I feel like he just sent out the email to everyone on a list.

I haven't given up on PvP's because so many people have had good experience... I just don't like mine! LoL

The key is to find a PVP that's a good fit for you. I love my PVP. I booked my wedding cruise with her (May 8, 2009) and when I called to book Destiny this month, she remembered me by name! We spoke often as I was arranging accomodations for a group. It's important to know you PVP's hours. You'll only get frustrated if you call at 9am and they don't start until 11am or if you call on Thursday when they're off, but they work on Saturdays. Also, email is great. Get their email address.

If you book on your own it's more difficult to make changes if you don't have an assigned PVP. Also, the TAs I've encountered aren't interested in cruise travel and usually I know more than they do about cruising.

As long as you can handle doing your own booking, you don't need one. We always book online on our own, and always get a call from a PVP saying 'give me a call if I can assist you and talk about your booking' we just never call them back.

Archived