Bed Bugs

smoosh28

Was watching a show on one of our local channels about bed bugs and the problem with them now that the chemicals used to control them are banned.

On it they said that the 2 worst places right now for them are Florida and Crusie Ships.

Got me thinking, we are cruising out of Tampa on a cruise ship. (as opposed to cruising on a dingy ... I know how this statement looks ! LOL)

Has anyone had any experience with bedbugs while cruising ?

I was just told by my exterminator that #1 avoid movie theatres #2 avoid hotels and that the NY , NJ area is really bad right now. Hope this clears up soon.....very expensive to have a home treated. Starts at about $1400.00 and needs to be treated once a week for a month.By the way i don't have them...it was just my yearly termite inspection!

I was just told by my exterminator that #1 avoid movie theatres #2 avoid hotels and that the NY , NJ area is really bad right now. Hope this clears up soon.....very expensive to have a home treated. Starts at about $1400.00 and needs to be treated once a week for a month.By the way i don't have them...it was just my yearly termite inspection!

Dang for 1400.00 a week, I would buy a new mattress then lol.

strange they told you once a month. i work for a motel and unfortuneatly even the swankiest of hotels can get them, they are travlers.. they hitch a ride in ppl's suitcases. and the room does have to be closed down for 2 days. and you spray the room on each side of it. then after the 2 days you put the room back together. i think your guy might want more money.. OR it's because its the whole house.

even the big stores in NY have had problems and that is weird as these are stores, NOT sleeping places or even stores with beds!.. lol

Bedbugs are a big problem in some areas right now, like it or not. And people from those areas are cruising. So, it is definitely possible for the bedbugs to get onto cruise ships. As already mentioned, it's not just dirty motels that have them, they are being found in theaters, stores, all kinds of places.

Best thing you can do when you arrive in your cabin is to pull back your sheets and look for yourself. That's what I plan to do. Look especially around the seams, corners and sides of the mattress for rust colored (blood) spots. I'm not sure how visible the actual bugs are since they typically come out at night, but the spots on the mattress are a telltale sign. If found, report it immediately. I check my beds at home every few months, you just never know... one could come home with you at any time from any place.

Do a general search for images using the words "bedbugs mattress" (I just tried it) and you will see photo's of what you are looking for.

I can only hope that the cruise lines realize this could be a potential revenue killer for them and check the rooms daily. The thought of bedbugs cruising in my room gives me insomnia :eek:.

Fortunately, there is no extra charge for the additional guest and they aren;t big enough to carry your Sign and Sail card - yet :eek::p

Seriously, easy to check when you get to the room, but probably a little more difficult to convince Housekeeping of the problem should one be found.

Was watching a show on one of our local channels about bed bugs and the problem with them now that the chemicals used to control them are banned.

On it they said that the 2 worst places right now for them are Florida and Crusie Ships.

Got me thinking, we are cruising out of Tampa on a cruise ship. (as opposed to cruising on a dingy ... I know how this statement looks ! LOL)

Has anyone had any experience with bedbugs while cruising ?

In a not too distant future, bedbugs will be everywhere (if they aren't already) Geesh, the NIKE store just closed down and who would have known but that whole are...the nice expensive stores were battling them.

And I never heard a thing- except when it hit NIKE.

I asked Peter Greenberg about this and he said that although it's nothing to worry about, passengers can do a simple, quick check. And if there are any signs of bedbugs- report it...DON'T unpack- and change rooms.

If there is absolutely no availability- they'll fly you home and refund your money...and maybe offer another cruise.

Hope I got that right, our converstation was brief.

Archived