Should we try Carnival after Royal Caribbean

We cruise by itinerary, not cruise line so have tried a lot of them. 12 cruises under our belt and don't have any kind of elite status on any of them.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with Carnival. Be prepared for it to be geared slightly more towards "younger" people as they have a lot of pool games and stuff like that. Food is similar, staff is similar. Carnivals style has been kind of tacky in the past but they are changing that. Carnival seemed cleaner to us.

Bottom line, cruise on the line that takes you where you want to go.

We have been cruising on Royal Caribbean over the last 5 years (7 cruise) With Royal Caribbean leaving California we are looking for a new line. Should we try Carnival

We do most meal at Chop and Portofino. How is the food on Carnival ? Do they have anything like Chop or Portofino.

How are the rooms ? We always book a Ocean View Family room (6500 or7500) does Carnival have any family room

Kids Club My 6 year old twins love the kids club Has any one tryed both

Thanks for your help

I've sailed both (more on carnival) But I can honestly say that both have their pros and cons, not enough to make me stop sailing one or the other because to me cruising is what you make it.

I have been on three RCI cruises, and two carnival.

twice on the Vision of the seas and once one Moranch of teh seas.

carnival was the Carnival Paradise and the Carnival Legend.

The Paradise and the Monarch match very well against each other.

Carnival Legend gets a nod over the Vision just because there is more night life activities on the Legend.

All the ships were very clean and the upkeep was top notch.

Carnival does some things better and the same for RCI.

Food Carnival

rooms (I sail insides) Carnival

staff draw

ship design Rci

How much fun I had on cruises---I HAD A BLAST ON BOTH LINES

I agree with others. Try it for yourself.

For me, Carnival does not match up with RCI in the ship or service department. RCI keeps their ships cleaner and better maintained.

My biggest turnoff with Carnival are the ships that they keep turning out. They have used the same tweaked design since the Destiny entered service in 1996 and just keep making the newer ships a little larger but adding more people than the ships can comfortably carry. If you decide to try Carnival, stick with the Spirit class ships. They are nice and not cattle carriers.

We have been cruising on Royal Caribbean over the last 5 years (7 cruise) With Royal Caribbean leaving California we are looking for a new line. Should we try Carnival

We do most meal at Chop and Portofino. How is the food on Carnival ? Do they have anything like Chop or Portofino.

How are the rooms ? We always book a Ocean View Family room (6500 or7500) does Carnival have any family room

Thanks for your help

As you can tell from my signature, I've cruised Carnival twice and just got back from a RCCL cruise. All of those have been the lines lower end (older) ships, so I think they are comparable. The RCCL cruise was the only one I've been on that I didn't really enjoy.

My kids liked the Carnival kids program but I don't know about RCCL since I just had my oldest daughter and she didn't go to the kids program. The food on Carnival was MUCH better, as I believe the majority of the people on this thread have mentioned. The food on Monarch was so bad we never went back to the dining room after the first evening. If you're going to get mediocre buffet food, you might as well do it in the buffet when it's convenient. Also, the standard rooms on RCCL are postage stamps compared to Carnival. Not impressed with the RCCL staff (didn't hate them, just wasn't impressed) and have always enjoyed Carnival's staff.

My biggest issue with RCCL was that we were put in a room next to a staff door which slammed shut constantly day and night. I got literally no sleep the last night of the cruise. Admittedly, I should have asked what the "blank space" was on the ship diagram but it didn't occur to me. I've been warned off making a bad room selection on Carnival by their reservation staff each and every time.

I'm going to give RCCL another chance one of these days since I'm sure this was a fluke, but to answer your question; try Carnival. You'll like it.

Thanks for your help

Absolutely try them! Only by trying Carnival or any other cruiseline will you know for yourself. Everyone has different likes and dislikes.

Annieeee

I agree with RonnieD.... Every cruise I have taken has been with a different cruise line and all have been good except for the Carnival. The food wasn't very good, service was bad, etc.

Our bad carnival experience was on the Spirit. I wonder if it was just that boat. Ahh well.

>>>>snip fwd>>> Not impressed with the RCCL staff (didn't hate them, just wasn't impressed) and have always enjoyed Carnival's staff.

I'm going to give RCCL another chance one of these days since I'm sure this was a fluke, but to answer your question; try Carnival. You'll like it.

This is what I found odd on Carnival, their staff and crew. Very much enjoyed Miracle, but found it strange that the bar tenders didnt interact and have conversation with the passengers. Other than that, the wait staff in the MDR on CCL were fine and so were the folks serving at Horatio's...but not the bar tenders & we thought that was strange. Royal caribbeans crew and staff interact in a very welcoming way...we have become friends with some! !

We will also be sailing on Carnival for the first time next year. I'm a little concerned about the smoking inside the rooms. Do the rooms smell like cigarette smoke? I am very sensitive to that and I'm hoping they don't.

If you are concerned, booked a spa cabin where smoking is prohibited. Also, I have sailed on 5 CCL cruises and haven't yet noticed any smoke smell (nor have I ever smelled smoke coming from a cabin stateroom while walking the corridors of the ship).

We were looking at a 9 night. That's to long for a test on a new Line.

It look like Princess Cruises-Sapphire Princess and Cunard-Queen Victoria

both go out of LA

Any input on Princess or Cunard

I like Princess best so far, but I have limited experience. RCCL so far was my very least favorite (that was awhile ago and an older ship to the Bahamas ... so I am about to give them another try.) I also don't have kids; I am thinking there are less activities, but I could be wrong. Best I can offer in that department is that in 2005 we took my then 11 and 8 year old nephews on a 7-day eastern Caribbean on Princess and they had great time.

But I can say that when I booked a Mexican Riveria out of LA, my TA (who is good with cruises) recommended Sapphire Princess, saying she was a great ship. That was the time we opted for NCL Star because we wanted to try something new, and while we didn't regret it exactly as we did get something new and different, we thougt maybe she would have been right.

If you are concerned, booked a spa cabin where smoking is prohibited. Also, I have sailed on 5 CCL cruises and haven't yet noticed any smoke smell (nor have I ever smelled smoke coming from a cabin stateroom while walking the corridors of the ship).

I didn't realize you could smoke in the staterooms. I'm really glad my mom didn't know that while we were on the Ecstasy! LOL

We are thinking of the October 23rd allure as well, and also the Serenade on the same day, but don't want to fly to san juan for the Serenade - We are doing the Oasis on the 23rd of October and getting excited.

We've never done Carnival, but the more I read the more I don't want to especially if there's more cigarette smoke around:)

We are all very NON-smokers and have never had a problem with cigarette smoke on any of the Carnival ships we have been on. I get very bad headaches from smoke and that has NEVER been the case on CCL. The only place that cigarette smoke was heavy was in the piano bar, so we stayed away. Carnival gets a real unfair rap, try it before you slam it!

I didn't realize you could smoke in the staterooms. I'm really glad my mom didn't know that while we were on the Ecstasy! LOL

You CAN'T smoke in the cabins on Carnival.....only on the balcony or the prescribed locations on the ship. Don't listen to rumors, look up facts instead.

You CAN'T smoke in the cabins on Carnival.....only on the balcony or the prescribed locations on the ship. Don't listen to rumors, look up facts instead.

You CAN smoke in cabins on Carnival. This IS a FACT that I confirmed 1.5 weeks ago directly with Carnival. Unless they have changed there policy since then!

The following is directly from Carnivals website on the faqs page. Carnival's policy is the most liberal of the big cruise lines. I think hat is well understood.

"Carnival Cruise Lines has designated the spa stateroom and suite accommodations (inclusive of the balcony), on the Carnival Splendor, Carnival Dream and Carnival Magic, as an entirely smoke free environment. Guests booked in a spa cabin agree to strictly comply with this non-smoking policy and refrain from smoking or allowing any other guests from smoking in the spa cabin. To preserve spa standards and ensure staterooms and suites are free of smoke residue, Carnival will assess a $250.00 reconditioning fee per spa stateroom or suite for guests that do not comply with the non-smoking policy.* This charge will be applied to the guest's Sail and Sign account."

You absolutely can smoke in the cabins. Except where noted above. We noticed it a lot on the Spirit.

Some people, especially loyal Royal's, will not agree with me on this, let me explain. First off, we have our FIRST RCL cruise coming up here in about three weeks.

Our first two cruises were on Carnival. We absolutely LOVED them - some people will tell you that the food and staterooms are better on Carnival than Royal, I will be able to verify that soon. All I can say is try it - see if you like them and decide for yourselves. One thing, too, Carnival's pricing is lower than RCL.

We are looking forward to trying Carnival for the first time in 2012. Only thing that might change that is if I find an itin or 10-day cruise I like better.

Thanks for your help

I say "Why Not"

Archived