Friend has passport dilemma

Bakincakes

A friend of mine is taking her granddaughter on a cruise this weekend.

After the child arrived at my friends house she was looking over the documents the child parents sent with her. Her drivers license shows a middle initial, the passport does not.

My friend is worried because the two don't exactly match they won't allow the passport to be used for boarding or in ports of call in the Caribbean. They don't have time to get the childs birth certificate...she tried calling her local government office to ask about the discrepency and no one has gotten back to her today.

I'm trying to calm her down but she is frantic the kid won't be allowed to board without that middle initial on the passport.:eek:

I'm not sure what advice to give her at this point...anyone have any ideas?

A friend of mine is taking her granddaughter on a cruise this weekend.

After the child arrived at my friends house she was looking over the documents the child parents sent with her. Her drivers license shows a middle initial, the passport does not.

My friend is worried because the two don't exactly match they won't allow the passport to be used for boarding or in ports of call in the Caribbean. They don't have time to get the childs birth certificate...she tried calling her local government office to ask about the discrepency and no one has gotten back to her today.

I'm trying to calm her down but she is frantic the kid won't be allowed to board without that middle initial on the passport.:eek:

I'm not sure what advice to give her at this point...anyone have any ideas?

When going thru customs i've never been asked to show my DL only my passport. Is this a question about how name appears on cruise res?

When going thru customs i've never been asked to show my DL only my passport. Is this a question about how name appears on cruise res?

Her name appears on the ressie as it does on her DL.

Her plane ticket was the same as on the DL.

The ONLY document that does not have the middle initial is the Passport.

If she has a passport that is enough. She will not need a DL. A passport takes the place of a DR and BC.

Just make sure the name on PP is same as whats on the reservation. Spelled same. If not you still have time to make change thru TA or how ever you made res I believe

Her name appears on the ressie as it does on her DL.

Her plane ticket was the same as on the DL.

The ONLY document that does not have the middle initial is the Passport.

Can always call RCL and ask if it should be a problem... Then go from there. Also ports of call only look at your cruise card.

If grand daughter is 22, she's no longer a minor, does not need letter from parents to travel.

When checking in at the pier, show the DL which matches the reservation. When returning to the ship after a day in port, use DL and SeaPass card. When disembarking after the cruise is over, show the Passport. It's a simple as that.

:)

If grand daughter is 22, she's no longer a minor, does not need letter from parents to travel.

When checking in at the pier, show the DL which matches the reservation. When returning to the ship after a day in port, use DL and SeaPass card. When disembarking after the cruise is over, show the Passport. It's a simple as that.

Except at check in if she used DL she needs BC which is at home... So not easy...:)

If you use a driver's license for check-in, you need to show a birth certificate, too. The OP said they didn't have a BC, so the passport would be needed to check in.

With that said, I doubt it would be a problem as long as the first and last names are correct, and the SetSail pass should be filled out the name as it appears on the passport.

BTW-all my id, both my passport and driver's license, shows my full name, first, middle and last. That is the way to do it, as long as your state can accept a full middle name on the DL.

I've never been with anyone who was asked to also showed a Birth Certificate at check-in. Only ID at check in; BC & ID or Passport when returning.

There have been many threads, including a very recent one, about people who have been denied boarding because they had the wrong birth certificate (hospital or notarized copy, not an official copy with the state seal/watermark). RC faqs also say you have to have the documents in order to board. That tells me you have to have it, or at least be prepared for it.

As for me, I have a passport and use it whenever I leave the country, so I've always just shown my passport, never my DL.

I rechecked the info I entered when doing the online check-in. I gave both my middle name and my husband's middle name, and both match our passports. The Set Sail Pass still uses only the first and last name.

Regarding plane tickets: when I fly domestically, I use my middle initial, and that matches my driver's license. When I fly internationally, I use my middle name, as that matches my passport.

I rechecked the info I entered when doing the online check-in. I gave both my middle name and my husband's middle name, and both match our passports. The Set Sail Pass still uses only the first and last name.

That is correct regarding the Set Sail document.

The information you enter for your passport is sent on to Homeland Security in the US.

Archived