Southampton to Cornwall and/or Devon

Misty1937

We have a full day in Southampton prior to our cruise having arrived from Heathrow the day before. We would like to see Cornwall and/or Devon and wonder if this is possible. I guess we would need to hire a car and would appreciate any input from you wonderful people. The old story that it is only a couple of inches on the map but how far in reality would it be. Also any suggestions of cost and who best to hire a car from. I have also considered a train but that is not always a good way to see a variety of places. I have been there before so know how pretty it is there but the friend I am travelling with has not and she would really like to visit.

Thanks for the wonderful help I know you will provide me with. I have been checking the previous threads but they do not seem to answer my question.

Cheers, Misty

Cornwall is FAR! Devon might be doable but you won't have much time to see much of anything. We drove from either Portsmouth or Bournemouth airport (I can't remember exactly where we were but west of Southampton for sure. It took us a while to get to Bridport in Dorset which is still EAST of Devon.

Thank you so much for your replies, I do appreciate it. Goldencup, as a local what would you suggest would be our best agenda and by what means of transport?. What sort of time factor would be be looking at please. I presume a hire car would be essential.

Cheers Misty

I have to agree, Devon can be a nice drive from Southampton and pretty, Cornwall is too far and can be stressful getting to/from depending on the traffic which on the little roads can get ugly depending on time of day/week/etc. As you have said specifically that is what you want to do I would go with Devon, if you just a pleasant way to spend the day around Southampton there are lots of threads on that - New Forest, Winchester, Stonehenge, etc. Cheers!

We have a full day in Southampton prior to our cruise having arrived from Heathrow the day before. We would like to see Cornwall and/or Devon and wonder if this is possible.
I think that both Devon and Cornwall are too far from Southampton for this to be worthwhile. Even to get to Exeter and back will have you spending most of the day on the road. There are some great bits of Dorset that are much more feasible.

I regularly drive Southampton to Plymouth, on the Devon/Cornwall border, I'm well-pleased if I can do it in 3 hours one-way. Even to the Devon border is around 2 hours excluding caravans, horseboxes, trucks & tractors getting in the way.

If you're heading in that direction, I think we're all agreed on the New Forest (starts 20 mins from Southampton) - here's a sample route http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=West+Quay+Road,+Southampton&daddr=50.9716,-1.59648+to:50.95262,-1.64131+to:50.89076,-1.78615+to:50.87705,-1.7925896+to:50.87436,-1.7920954+to:50.8742034,-1.7714423+to:50.8940048,-1.6962578+to:50.8329578,-1.6206697+to:50.8193513,-1.5791901+to:50.8244,-1.57148+to:50.82206,-1.55508+to:50.86622,-1.43766+to:W+Quay+Rd%2FA3057&geocode=FWm6CAMdBXHq_yl3LPPgt3Z0SDF_wlnLirooJw%3BFdDDCQMdwKPn_yl7TxcnnYxzSDHA1JytLa4OEw%3BFax5CQMdovTm_ymNDKBprI1zSDGxSpStLa4OEw%3BFQiICAMd2r7k_ylfgLK0yZZzSDHg_iJPQfQQEw%3BFXpSCAMds6Xk_ymHnKlp2ZZzSDHQL2BPQfQQEw%3BFfhHCAMdoafk_ymHnKlp2ZZzSDHQL2BPQfQQEw%3BFVtHCAMdTvjk_ykBHjN3KpFzSDEQTJOtLa4OEw%3BFbSUCAMd_x3m_yktwG8Rv5FzSDHATZOtLa4OEw%3BFT2mBwMdQ0Xn_ykVyDbshoVzSDHhD5OtLa4OEw%3BFRdxBwMdSufn_ylfoWfVC4ZzSDEAXJStLa4OEw%3BFdCEBwMdaAXo_ykD8kPpD4ZzSDEQE5OtLa4OEw%3BFax7BwMdeEXo_ykjpxcbPYZzSDGhA1hQQfQQEw%3BFSwoCAMdJBDq_ykRhlnRDnd0SDGRT5StLa4OEw%3BFVO1CAMdsXjq_w&hl=en&mra=dvme&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=11&via=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12&sll=50.930738,-1.604004&sspn=0.167047,0.407867&ie=UTF8&ll=50.923813,-1.569672&spn=0.167072,0.407867&z=11

Or beyond the New Forest into Dorset, the Jurassic coast & nice little towns & villages on the Dorset downs starting mebbe an hour from Southampton. Here's a sample http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=West+Quay+Road,+Southampton&daddr=50.97296,-1.60684+to:50.91892,-1.82214+to:51.00873,-2.20385+to:50.94314,-2.52326+to:50.82071,-2.42787+to:50.73629,-2.73751+to:50.70097,-2.72445+to:50.61228,-2.49282+to:50.644,-2.43007+to:50.62692,-2.25335+to:50.76942,-2.17936+to:Millbrook+Flyover%2FA3024&geocode=FWm6CAMdBXHq_yl3LPPgt3Z0SDF_wlnLirooJw%3BFSDJCQMdSHvn_ynh8Bz_kIxzSDHRqSFQQfQQEw%3BFQj2CAMdRDLk_yl3-b9LKZRzSDFxjSFKQfQQEw%3BFdpUCgMdNl_e_ykhG3AcacpzSDGxgluyLa4OEw%3BFaRUCQMdhH_Z_yntL7gd4EZySDERLRxQQfQQEw%3BFWZ2BwMdIvTa_ylvZDzf4k9ySDEg812yLa4OEw%3BFaIsBgMdmjrW_ylBKtxLD2RySDHBA2BPQfQQEw%3BFaqiBQMdnm3W_yk39_cg2mNySDGxfVdQQfQQEw%3BFThIBAMdbPbZ_ylRkKSWX_ZySDGhbxtQQfQQEw%3BFSDEBAMdiuva_ylNs-ve-fdySDGg0mCyLa4OEw%3BFWiBBAMd2p3d_ynHQl9JuP9ySDFwAlyyLa4OEw%3BFQyuBgMd4L7e_ynb-k-ERKxzSDGwoMYJRfQQEw%3BFd7oCAMdpNHp_w&hl=en&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=8&sz=11&via=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11&sll=50.6303,-2.451324&sspn=0.168124,0.407867&ie=UTF8&ll=50.781629,-2.208252&spn=0.670331,1.63147&z=9 But this is touring territory, you'll need a car. Google the places en-route, see what you think.

Portsmouth, Winchester, Salisbury/Stonehenge are well worth visiting & easy by train, but there we're talking cities not countryside.

John Bull

Thank you all so much for your replies.

John those maps are brilliant and I think feasible. I have had another thought though, we are 2 ladies in our 70's, though we feel and act MANY years younger ;). Are there any regulations with your road laws regarding us driving and would we need an international licence?. While I realise you may not be able to answer this would you please be able to tell me the name of a car hire firm (one who does not cost the earth :mad: if possible) who I could ask the question of.

Again thanks for all the help, Judy

Just a note from a visitor who's recently been there...

We cruised out of Southampton in July and decided to visit Cornwall, Devon and Dorset...

We allotted ourselves NINE nights precruise to do it...

I guess it could be done in shorter time, but, really, not that much shorter...

The drive from Windsor/Heathrow (where we spent our first night after a late afternoon arrival) to Falmouth (our base in Cornwall) took the better part of a day...Of course, we stopped at Stonehenge and a couple other places on the way...(How can one drive past and NOT visit?)...Of course, that day was spent on the Motorway and the better roads...

Once in Cornwall and trying to visit assorted sites (Minack Theatre, Land's End, Chysauster Ancient Village, St. Ives, Pendennis Castle, St. Mawes Castle, etc., a lot of the roads are pretty bad--single lane, narrow, difficult...You just cannot drive very fast or get anywhere very quickly...

Devon and Dorset get moderately quicker, but still require time...

From Torquay, we took an entire day doing the boat/train combo to Dartmouth and back...

We spent an entire day out of Poole driving down to the Jurassic Coast and Corfe Castle, Lulworth Castle, etc.

If you are going to visit these places, you need to allow for time to actually visit them...to get out of the car and walk around and actually see them...the forts, the old churches, the quaint towns, the scenic vistas...

The map may look reasonably compact, but the time really required is substantial...Do not plan too aggressively...

Have fun...

Thank you all so much for your replies.

John those maps are brilliant and I think feasible. I have had another thought though, we are 2 ladies in our 70's, though we feel and act MANY years younger ;). Are there any regulations with your road laws regarding us driving and would we need an international licence?. While I realise you may not be able to answer this would you please be able to tell me the name of a car hire firm (one who does not cost the earth :mad: if possible) who I could ask the question of.

Again thanks for all the help, Judy

Hi, Judy.

A visitor to the UK is more likely than I to know about regulations for visitors, but I don't think you need an international driving licence, since your US licence is in english

All the major car rental players are in Southampton plus plenty of locals, just google "car hire Southampton". National are a large, established, reputable & reliable compromise, they're used to foreign renters, and located in the city centre near the cruise terminals & most hotels, so they're a good place to start. Contact National at http://www.nationalcar.co.uk/Content/630/uk/Contact-Us/

Best mention your age/s - if they have a maximum I'm guessing you're below it but best to check.

Bear in mind that unless you specify, rental cars in the UK are mainly shift-stick. A small car is all you need, and much easier on our roads.

Now I don't know you, or how much you drive, or how much you enjoy a driving challenge, or how experienced you are at driving abroad. But from Southampton the New Forest is much easier than Dorset.

Steve has commented on the slower speeds in the UK, esp on the minor roads. Tiring & frustrating if you've a long way to go & a timetable to keep, but does have its advantages when you just want to amble & take in the scenery.

My suggested Forest mileage is 60, about 2 hours - you can add places like Lymington, Calshot, Ringwood, though its good to have plenty of time to get out of the car & walk the Forest or explore the villages & sights. Traffic in the Forest is mainly light, slow & steady - there's a blanket 40mph limit in the Forest because of the ponies, cattle, etc, and in the main people use these roads to meander through the scenery, not to get quickly from A to B. Free forest carparks every couple of miles, straightforward road junctions, a very laid-back experience.

My Dorset suggestion is 180 miles, 5 hours driving. Although its a scenic route, it does include busy major roads & much higher speeds, and there's plenty of regular A-to-B traffic even on some of the smaller roads. Including stops at Lulworth Cove, Durdle Door, Weymouth, possibly the Portland Causeway, West Bay, Sherborne & Shaftesbury you're looking at a long day, mebbe 10 hours or so.

A more varied day than the Forest, but a more demanding one too.

It depends on you, and only you can decide.

JB

I guess I'll add that we did not have an "international driver's license"...My California Driver's License was sufficient to hire the car...In fact, I've driven on several trips through the UK and nothing more was ever asked.

We hired our car through Hertz at Heathrow and returned it in Southampton at their office walking distance from the pier and our hotel (Holiday Inn on Herbert Walker--right at the pier)...We could also see the Avis office right from our hotel room--directly behind the Holiday Inn, right at the entrance to where our ship was docked...National as well...

We used Travelocity to locate the best deal...and just made sure we could return the car to a location near the hotel...

As John Bull pointed out, most car rentals are stick shift, no air conditioning...We made it a point to specify an automatic transmission with AC...which wasn't a problem, however, when we picked up the car at Heathrow, the agent asked us if we really wanted an automatic...and we reaffirmed that to be the case...They gaved us a nice little Volkswagen hatchback...

BTW, it actually pays to have the SMALLER car since a lot of roads are extremely narrow....at least when one gets off the Motorway...and often parking in some places is difficult and a small car helps...

Also, remember, signs and speed limits are posted in MILES...Since you come from a country where driving is on the left side of the road and you have plenty of roundabouts, you should not have that much trouble adjusting to driving in the UK...

Also, we took our portable GPS with us (we have a chip with the UK maps) and really found it to be invaluable...I really recommend that if you have one, take it...if not, consider taking one along with the car from the rental company...

Since you come from a country where driving is on the left side of the road and you have plenty of roundabouts, you should not have that much trouble adjusting to driving in the UK...

Ooops :o didn't notice the OP's location, you're a lot more observant than I, Steve. :)

Yes, a lot easier for Judy than for those from countries which drive on the right. All she need worry about is meeting Americans on the country lanes :D

JB

Thanks so much John & Steve, you have both been extremely helpful. I have been to England a few times and yes it is a big advantage driving on the same side as at home. It is much less stressful than when I drove in the US and Germany:rolleyes: I must say and I am sure I can cope with any Americans we meet on the country lanes;). I am normally with relations in the UK and have not had the need to hire a car but this time is a bit different. We are doing a fly/cruise with MSC and they will transfer us from Heathrow to Southampton where we stay 2 nights at the Grand Harbour Hotel. This means we have a full day available to do as we like and have no time constraints for the 1 day.

When I contact the rental companies and ascertain some facts I will confer with my travel companion and get her thoughts on the matter, thank you both so very much for al your help and support.

Cheers, Judy:D

For the benefit of any others who may have the same questions as I did National Car Rental advised me the upper age limit in the UK is 100 :eek: and our Australian drivers licence is all we need :cool:

Again thanks to my fellow CC members for their help.

Cheers, Judy

You might want to check the age limit to make sure. My parents squeaked by once because they were'nt quite 70 yet and they were able to rent a car. I had to rent the car the next time as my mother was 73 and she wasn't allowed to be on the contract as an extra driver due to her age.

Read the fine print before you book to make certain, it will save disappoinment at the check-in counter.

You might want to check the age limit to make sure. My parents squeaked by once because they were'nt quite 70 yet and they were able to rent a car. I had to rent the car the next time as my mother was 73 and she wasn't allowed to be on the contract as an extra driver due to her age.

Read the fine print before you book to make certain, it will save disappoinment at the check-in counter.

Thanks for that, we will double check although that was what National Car Hire told me, but then who knows.

I think it might all fall through for us anyway, my friend feels it is too far to drive in 1 day and the fact we will have had over 24 hrs travelling the day before it probably is not a wise move. I just thought if it was feasible it would have been nice for her to see something of the area but she said she is happy to wait for another time and do it fully.

Thanks again, Judy

What about the Isle of Wight? Barely 30 minutes from Southampton by fast-cat, it has a wealth of attractions: one of the main centres of the UK's sailing industry, a super medieval castle, a handful of Victorian seaside resorts, some great hill walking, beaches, great country pubs.... it's super place to vosit for a day and is very easy from Southampton. Just get the high-speed Red Jet ferries from Town Quay.

What about the Isle of Wight? Barely 30 minutes from Southampton by fast-cat, it has a wealth of attractions: one of the main centres of the UK's sailing industry, a super medieval castle, a handful of Victorian seaside resorts, some great hill walking, beaches, great country pubs.... it's super place to vosit for a day and is very easy from Southampton. Just get the high-speed Red Jet ferries from Town Quay.

Wow! I'll have to keep that suggestion in mind for the next time I'm in Southampton. That sounds like a splendid place to wander for a day. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

Archived