A comment on the new full body scanners

spongerob

We recently flew through ORD (Chicage O'Hare) for a trip to Italy. This airport is using the full body scanners at their security checkpoints and it really slows the process down since it takes about a minute to take the scan and await the results. If you have a short connection time as we did coming back, where you have to re-screen before taking a domestic flight, be aware that the security lines move slowly.

In the time it takes for a full body scan to be completed 3 or 4 passengers can be screened using the standard metal detectors. If your airport is installing the new scanners, you need to plan accordingly.

BTW - there are two additional checkpoints at T3 in ORD, and a separate First/Business checkpoint. If you are in a hurry you might save a few minutes by going to one of the alternative checkpoints instead of the main one in the middle of the check-in area. This was the only way that we were able to save enough time to make our connection home yesterday after a delayed arrival and being mixed in with 3 other arriving international flights at ORD. Believe it or don't we made it through immigration, customs, re-checking our bags, and re-screening in just 1 hour for the flight to OKC. That was pure luck, mostly, and had we waited to go through the main T3 checkpoint we'd still be in Chicago right now. You need 2 hours minimum for this process when arriving from an overseas flight, and if possible I'd plan even longer. I don't think I have ever been on a west-bound flight that has arrived on time.

Thanks! Maybe they are taking some cues from the Italians concerning the incorporation of efficiency into their business processes. ;)

It was kind of fun, in a way. Plus it was an object lesson in not being burdened by a ridiculous number of carry-on items. That is the subject of my next thread/rant.

Thanks! Maybe they are taking some cues from the Italians concerning the incorporation of efficiency into their business processes. ;)

Funny you say that, since it would actually be nice if they would have taken cues from the Italians...Today it was anounced that after a trial the Italian government has decided NOT to deploy body scanners in Italian airports, as normal pat-downs are much faster and more efficient.

Even Kansas City International has the full body scanners, as of sometime last May, and they are used for domestic flights also. Hint, do not wear jeans with metal buttons on the back pockets, they got me pulled aside for a physical (hands on) search because of them. :(

Assume you will have to use the scanners and plan accordingly.

Weather at ORD can be an issue as well.

We used to live there, so we know how unpredictable the weather can be.:eek: Fortunately, my DD lives close to the airport so we can gauge our weather situation easily. My concern is the scanners if they are really holding up the security process. We usually allow two hours to return the car rental and check in. We are only there for the weekend so we want to squeeze as much time into our visit as possible.

Funny you say that, since it would actually be nice if they would have taken cues from the Italians...Today it was anounced that after a trial the Italian government has decided NOT to deploy body scanners in Italian airports, as normal pat-downs are much faster and more efficient.
That kind of proves my point. If they are so bad that even the Italians notice, then they HAVE to be bad! :)

I have recently been through the full body scanners in Tampa, Atlanta and Reagan National in DC. Each time took only a few seconds.

Some places not every passenger was pulled through, and it did not seem to slow the process any more than normal with people having to pull things out of their bags, remove their shoes, remove belts, jewelry, etc.

Recently went through one and was VERY HAPPY!:D If you have an metal parts like my hip, you probably will no longer be treated like a criminal, just 7 seconds for the scan and 5 or so to review it and on your way. :) First time in years I felt good after security and was able to get my own stuff instead of DW having to make sure it was safe.

I have knee replacements, that's both knees, and have gone thru Tampa and Salt Lake with no problems, I just let them know that I have them (replacements) and they send me to the scan, they don't have everyone go thru it in Salt Lake though.

In the time it takes for a full body scan to be completed 3 or 4 passengers can be screened using the standard metal detectors. If your airport is installing the new scanners, you need to plan accordingly.

So it might be better to fly from/through Midway and avoid the bleeding edge of technology until it is ready for prime-time. I'm just saying...

Archived