Cafe Caribe

toberman

Been searching for a while and can't seem to find an answer. I've read that the Cafe for dinner can be as good, if not better some times than the main DRs. I know - personal taste. The question is though... do they have theme nights?? Or maybe every night has a different theme? Or could it be the same theme as they are having in the DRs?. Thanks for any help.

They do have theme nights; Mexican, Asian, Octoberfest are the ones I can remember from last January. They post it outside the entrance daily. It wasn't related to the main DR themes that I could see. We never had dinner there so I can't comment on the dinners themselves.

Cheers,

Kirsten

Cafe Caribe is a buffet, no more no less. Food is almost as good as the diningroom, but it doesn't come in courses...unless you want to keep getting up & serving yourself this way. Sometimes when we are in a hurry to see a particular show we have eaten there & we were done with dinner much quicker, but I still prefer the restaurants that charge a small fee if you are just skipping the formal wear. Crown Grill is just fantastic.

Jan

Toberman, there is a theme to most dinners in the Cafe Caribe. It also offers some themed lunches too, on sea days. My favorite CC food was (go figure) on German night...spicy shrimp. You'll find us there at least 3 or 4 times over the course of 20 nights. We just can't do the multicourse dining room dinner every night, energy-wise or appetite-wise.

See you there!

On formal night the Caribe Cafe will have lobster claws instead of the tails. I have no problem getting my own food. I can take what I want and as much of it. If I want a plate of 10 claws and 20 cocktail shrimp, so be it. The tables are usually set with table cloths and silverware, the waiters are wearing black not the usual hawaiian shirts. They will get you cocktails or water. If you want to get to a show or don't care for the selections on the MDR menu, it is a nice alternative.

You won't go hungry. To me, it's a place to eat if I don't want to change or get dressed up. We went the last formal night for the seafood theme and to me, it was just... eh. As said, there are just lobster claws and they are pretty darned small. Yes, it's lobster but the claws aren't the same as the tail and they are so small, there's little meat in them. They also had breaded shrimp but then those were available for lunch several times on our cruise. There wasn't anything I though was outstanding or even a little better than just "OK." Would I go again? Sure. There are times when I don't feel like changing for dinner. Is it as good as the dining room? Absolutely not. But then it's my choice whether to change or dress up.

We ate there 5 night's only because we were cruising with an 18 month old and the food was just ok. The Crown Grill was very good and I really liked the pizza. This next cruise on Princess our Grandson will be 4 and he is much better as far as eating in a restaurant so we will eat in the MDR some nights, eat pizza and a salad and watch MUTS some nights and maybe try both of the specialty restaurants if we have a chance. That is one thing about cruising you have so many choices.

They do have theme nights; Mexican, Asian, Octoberfest are the ones I can remember from last January. They post it outside the entrance daily. It wasn't related to the main DR themes that I could see.

It's also posted in the Patters, so you don't have to actually go up to the Cafe and see. Sometimes the theme was the same as the MDR and sometimes not. Food was typical buffet-type food (lesser quality than MDR), but sometimes it was fairly good. Those small lobster claws were also rubbery and tasteless.

On formal night the Caribe Cafe will have lobster claws instead of the tails. I have no problem getting my own food. I can take what I want and as much of it. If I want a plate of 10 claws and 20 cocktail shrimp, so be it. The tables are usually set with table cloths and silverware, the waiters are wearing black not the usual hawaiian shirts. They will get you cocktails or water. If you want to get to a show or don't care for the selections on the MDR menu, it is a nice alternative.

We always eat there after going to the dining room so we don't miss out on anything. Lately they haven't had any lobster offered in any fashion so I wouldn't forgo the dining room on formal evenings yet, especially if you like the better selections.

You won't go hungry. To me, it's a place to eat if I don't want to change or get dressed up. We went the last formal night for the seafood theme and to me, it was just... eh. As said, there are just lobster claws and they are pretty darned small. Yes, it's lobster but the claws aren't the same as the tail and they are so small, there's little meat in them. They also had breaded shrimp but then those were available for lunch several times on our cruise. There wasn't anything I though was outstanding or even a little better than just "OK." Would I go again? Sure. There are times when I don't feel like changing for dinner. Is it as good as the dining room? Absolutely not. But then it's my choice whether to change or dress up.

The lobster tails in the MDR are pretty darn small. I've had prawns on the same plate that were bigger. Where to you think those small claws came frome? The same lobster from the MDR tail! Sure you can get as many as you want, but they won't do it like the olden days were you could say "hold the praws and just bring me 6 lobster tails." Now they will only bring you one at a time and not until you are done with the first one. I guess they make it take so darn long as to discourage this. It is what it is - cruise food, not 5 star cuisine but not the Waffle House either. ;)

There is a kitchen right behind the counter, and the sauteed shrimps are prepared there - very fresh very nicely cooked and seasoned.

There are nights we found nothing attractive in MDR but there were surprisingly good dishes in Caribe Cafe. Actually we eat at both places almost every evening.

We love the Caribe Cafe very much (and the International Cafe) so much so we now would not sail any Princess ships that dont have these features, including our once beloved Coral and Island. :D

HAL's buffet dining area served grilled 1/2 lobster tails unlimited on one formal night on our TATL cruise this past April. Another night they had grilled lamb chop, another night had veal ribs. Their buffet foods are better than Princess but Princess wins in the MDR mainly HAL has very few seafood choices and lack of the cold soup options Princess has. Also Princess has much better bread and icecream choices than HAL MDR.

After doing several TATL, we found that the East bound (going to Europe) usually has much better food quality than the West bound (going back to US) - our West bound on Emeral in Oct 2008 had such bad food that I finally wrote a 2 pages long complaint letter and handed to the Purser desk after an Oriental night dinner with dishes totally did not match with the descriptions (such as Crispy Roast Duck turned out to be almost like stewed duck). The maitre d called us the next day offered us a complementary dinner at the Crown Grill with as many friends we would like to invite. We went with our neighbors who cruised with us and their new-found friends, a couple from UK.

My guess why the Westbound has much worse foods is because the food costs are much higher when sourcing from Europe. Carnival has its own food supply companies based in Miami and food costs are generally much cheaper on this side of Atlantic. They cannot make the cruise cost differential too much so they have to skim on the foods. We have since only cruised TATL East Bound - and that is also easier because we have plenty of time to fly home post cruise since we always tag on 2 to 4 weeks land trip afterward.

There is a kitchen right behind the counter, and the sauteed shrimps are prepared there - very fresh very nicely cooked and seasoned.

There are nights we found nothing attractive in MDR but there were surprisingly good dishes in Caribe Cafe. Actually we eat at both places almost every evening.

We love the Caribe Cafe very much (and the International Cafe) so much so we now would not sail any Princess ships that dont have these features, including our once beloved Coral and Island. :D

Yes, we like to mix it up too. I love to eat at the IC on a port day, when I have the ship to myself. Get a nice table in the atrium, have some Greek salad and a roasted chicken sandwich or perhaps the fresh mozarella and tomato. Sip a Milky Way Martini and just take in the sights. An added bonus is when they have the various street performers.

We also like the pizza and the jumbo hot dogs! :D Gotta have at least one each cruise.

Although we didn't think the food was anything special; just everyday buffet food, what we really enjoyed was being able to sit outside on the few outdoor tables on a balmy, Caribbean night.

We had sushi and wine at vines first, then on to Cafe Caribe for the next course. What a lovely evening that was :D

Although we didn't think the food was anything special; just everyday buffet food, what we really enjoyed was being able to sit outside on the few outdoor tables on a balmy, Caribbean night.

We had sushi and wine at vines first, then on to Cafe Caribe for the next course. What a lovely evening that was :D

Wow, you make it sound like the Chinese buffet restaurants we have here in Florida. You must have some pretty good buffets in the UK. ;)

Wow, you make it sound like the Chinese buffet restaurants we have here in Florida. You must have some pretty good buffets in the UK. ;)

I don't think I've ever been to a buffet in the UK :eek:.

I guess I mean it didn't look any different to the day time buffet :)

Although we didn't think the food was anything special; just everyday buffet food,

I don't think I've ever been to a buffet in the UK :eek:.

Think it was the everyday buffet food comment.... implied you have buffets every day in the UK?? :rolleyes: Or.. maybe you just haven't gotten out enough to find them?? :confused: :)

Cheers...

Think it was the everyday buffet food comment.... implied you have buffets every day in the UK?? :rolleyes: Or.. maybe you just haven't gotten out enough to find them?? :confused: :)

Cheers...

*Note to self - must get out more* LOL! :D

. . . our West bound on Emeral in Oct 2008 had such bad food that I finally wrote a 2 pages long complaint letter and handed to the Purser desk after an Oriental night dinner with dishes totally did not match with the descriptions (such as Crispy Roast Duck turned out to be almost like stewed duck). . .

I sailed on a cruise sourced in FLL and believe me, Oriental Night was still positively the worst dining experience I've ever had on Princess! So I'm not sure that East versus West makes any difference, at least not in this case.

Yes, U2 the band from Dublin. They come your way now and again. Princess has great taste, showing them on MUTS :)

I heard them for the first time on MUTS and was not impressed -- just didn't feel the love. Sort of like the Grateful Dead, from back in my day, I guess: you either buy into it or you don't. Meanwhile, I'm bummed this year's cruises seem to be getting Pavarotti on MUTS and we had to endure U2 and Beyonce.

'I heard them for the first time on MUTS and was not impressed -- just didn't feel the love. Sort of like the Grateful Dead, from back in my day, I guess: you either buy into it or you don't. Meanwhile, I'm bummed this year's cruises seem to be getting Pavarotti on MUTS and we had to endure U2 and Beyonce.'

Bono would love being compared to The Grateful Dead haha! There were LOTS of empty MUTS chairs for the U2 show, I must admit :D. Seems an odd choice for a Princess cruise, but I wasn't complaining.

Cafe Caribe is fine for one of those evenings you can't be bothered to sit through a full, served meal. One evening, I'm sure I saw a full roasting pig in there :confused:

ETA will someone please tell me how to quote a part of a post, thanks.

ETA will someone please tell me how to quote a part of a post, thanks.

Leave the square brackets [ ] and everything inside them at the beginning and end of the quote... then simply delete anything you don't want to copy from the message. Make sure those square brackets remain. Preview Post will show if you got it right.

\

My guess why the Westbound has much worse foods is because the food costs are much higher when sourcing from Europe. Carnival has its own food supply companies based in Miami and food costs are generally much cheaper on this side of Atlantic. They cannot make the cruise cost differential too much so they have to skim on the foods. .

I never thought about this before but from posts from Disney cruisers who came Westbound on the TA there were the same comments... there were no "mickey bars" or "mickey rice crispy treats" or other things that they could only source in the states. Makes perfect sense. The ships coming West have to fill their stores in Europe where food is so much more expensive.

Archived