Mosquitoes Panama Canal

Nottslass41

Best bug spray - anything containing Deet.

We've been down the Panama Canal twice and had no problem. My husband always gets bitten by mozzies if they are around, but he was fine as we sailed in that region. We did a night tour of the city (awful!!) and there were no mozzy bites. He did have Deet spray on though. We just weren't aware of anything flying around.

Maybe it's the sea thing that keeps them away? When he had over 100 bites on his body we were inland in South Africa.

Caryl

If you get bitten a lot I would check what that region is like for malaria and dengue fever. Consult your doctor before you go.

I recently went to Nairobi (for a business meeting) which has a very low risk of malaria so did not take any tablets. Anyway my client there wanted to take me on Safari which meant a much higher chance of getting bitten and contracting malaria. I spayed myself with deet but still got bitten. Luckily I have never contracted malaria but I learnt my lesson.

Chris

When we were on our cruise in 2005/2006 we were prescribed anti malaria tabs. They were awful and I vowed I would never take ones again because of the side effects.

However, things have improved now with Malarone being prescribed. No side effects -except to the bank balance.

Caryl

When we were on our cruise in 2005/2006 we were prescribed anti malaria tabs. They were awful and I vowed I would never take ones again because of the side effects.

However, things have improved now with Malarone being prescribed. No side effects -except to the bank balance.

Caryl

We took Malarone with no side effects when we went up the Amazon. However, we took it again last year for the Panama Canal and I had a truly awful side effect after a few days - one my husband has never come across with Malarone in all his years of Medicine. I stoped the Malarone and was fine next day!

I did the Panama Canal full transit over xmas / new year a couple of years ago - new years day was the actual transit. (Getting up at 4am after a late new years eve was crippling but worth it!). I am very susceptible to being bitten - I have to carry an epipen as I am allergic to wasps among other things, and I was bitten once by a sand fly in Lanzarote and went into anaphylactic shock. I was quite worried about this cruise before I went, but would say that I didn't get bitten at all by anything! Except the cruising bug - again - gets me on every cruise!

I had the yellow fever vaccination - as a just in case - but didn't take any malaria tabs. Avon skin-so-soft dry oil body spray is also good for keeping bugs at bay.

Enjoy your cruise!

Hi daft question but whats the mozzy's like in the Caribbean Do you get any onboard in the bedrooms my hubby always gets bitten and reacts quite badly .I am going to take some plug ins and also skin -so-soft as well as antihistamines I realise he may get bitten on land if not careful but just wondered if anybody gets bitten on the ship:confused:

Have done full transit with no mozzie bites. Also went ashore independently in the unfortunately named Colon with no problems. Check with your doctor, you can take doxycycline as a malaria prophylaxis if you are really concerned: agree with others that some of the other anti-malarials are problematic. On a cruise liner I would not bother personally.

Thanks for replies very useful information :D

Im off to boots this afternoon to look for tropical stuff, also noticed on their website they got a little clicky thing for relief for bites, im not going to bother with anti malaria tabs, avon lady came yesterday i asked her to order me skin so soft body spray..i think i will be protected..fingers crossed.

Will be in Kos this time next week not sure if their mozzies are still biting will take me sprays just in case.

Archived