Overcrowding on the Civitavecchia to Rome trains

uktraveller

As we will have previously done much of our sightseeing in Rome, we plan to spend our entire Port day in the Trastevere area.

...what is the best station to exit the train to get to Trastevere?

...our Port day is on a Saturday..it looks like only two large ships will be in Port that day...Carnival Magic and Pacific Princess...what are the chances of overcrowding on train? I assume there will be no commute traffic.

The best station is Roma Trastevere. When you leave the train station, you can take either the #8 tram from the island in the road in front of the piazza, or the #3 bus from the station piazza.

The train shouldn't be terribly crowded, especially if you don't race to get off the ship and get on the very first one.

To use the BIRG ticket, and to get off in Trastevere, you'll need to take a regional train only. There are regional trains at 8:41, 8:59 and 9:41. If you really want to avoid crowds, wait for the 9:41.

Thank you Euro Cruiser....did you mean if we take the Regional Train, we will not have to take the tram?

No, you do need to take the tram from the Roma Trastevere station. Well, I suppose you could walk, it's only about a mile from the station to the heart of Trastevere, all along one road (Viale di Trastevere), but it's not a particularly interesting walk. The tram runs right down the middle of the street, and it's covered by the BIRG ticket, so you might as well take it.

Thanks for posting about your train experience, and sorry to hear what a challenge it was.

It was a crowded day to be in the port of Civitavecchia. One cruise calendar shows the following ships in port for the day that you were there:

Norwegian Jade

Brilliance Of The Seas

Voyager Of The Seas

Constellation

Ocean Princess

MSC Lirica

Thomson Destiny

Passenger capacity total: 14,878

For planning DIY days, I like to check a cruise calendar to see what other ships are in port and the times that they are there, but with that many ships, I'm not sure it would be easy to work out a plan that didn't involve crowded trains. I wonder if the 8 a.m. train was any better?

p.s. a link to the site that I used. Click on the port and the month that you'll be there.

Thank you Susan. This was VERY helpful in trying to figure out how many people would be in port on our day in rome. I really appreciate it.

Linda

Archived