Overcrowding on the Civitavecchia to Rome trains

uktraveller

Hi Kirk,

I'm assuming you are referring to my post?

I mentioned going later for specific reasons relevant to me and my family, not as a general rule for all.

I have walking/standing difficulties (which i did mention) so a mad dash off the ship is not practical for me, neither would be the possibility of standing for over an hour on a crowded train - I wouldnt be able to move when we arrived in Rome!

We are not bothered about cramming all the sights in on one day trip and thus needing to be off the ship first as we know living in the UK we will go to Italy again (I've actually already covered Italy extensively prior to getting married, I love the country and I'm happy to go back lots! :D).

So yes I can see that to the majority of people getting off the ship first would indeed be the best option and i wasnt in any way suggesting otherwise, but perhaps it wouldnt be the best option for me, hence my original questions earlier.

I do however appreciate your comment about that very early train.

Sam :)

Gotcha, I did not read that portion of your response close enough to realize you have a unique situation. I hope you have a great trip!

Kirk

we were in port the same day on the Connie. My family went to Rome on a private excursion. I saw pictures. Rome was PACKED. Wall to wall people. Can't imagine what the trains were like. Knew there were so many ships in port that's why we booked them the private tour. We (DH and I) went on a private excursion to the countryside. Saw almost no one. Actually had the tombs in Tarquinia all to ourselves. It was a lovely day.

Rome was packed? Of course its packed since its a large city of nearly 3 million people. The cruise traffic in Civitavecchia has no real effect on the crowd conditions within Rome. Like most large cities it is a crowded busy place on any word day.

Hank

I respectfully disagree. I understand Rome is a large city but, having 9 or ten large cruise ships in port would definatley effect how crowded the key sights most of the people on board those ships have in mind to see are.

When we were in last Wednesday there were 11 cruise ships in. It's the most they have had. Rome was busy as always, It is always busy regardless of how many cruise ships are in.

We took the cruise ships private train trip. The platform was jam packed when we passed.

• 2 months later...

Be aware that Good Friday is April 22, trains could be very crowded. Its possible that there will be a lot of local school children & families taking the trains that week. Our ship is in Civic Good Friday.Yikes! We are not going to Rome. You may get there but you may not get back. If this will be your only chance to visit Rome I would avoid taking the train , book the ships excursion.

ciao,

Ann

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is a very useful thread, thanks to all the posters.

I'm going to Rome in a group of 10 with 2 kids aged 2 and 5, so I would like to find a cheap way to get into Rome but also a comfortable and convenient one.

The IC train seemed like a good option with the reserved seating, until someone mentioned the possible delays with this train. Anyone else mind offering their two cents regarding this issue?

I'm going to Rome in a group of 10 with 2 kids aged 2 and 5, so I would like to find a cheap way to get into Rome but also a comfortable and convenient one.

The IC train seemed like a good option with the reserved seating, until someone mentioned the possible delays with this train. Anyone else mind offering their two cents regarding this issue?

The main issue with the IC train is that you really only have one to choose from in the morning, at 9:17 AM, arriving at Roma Ostiense at 10:00, or Termini at 10:14. My advice is to avoid Termini if possible, but it depends on how you structure your day.

If you use the IC train, you cannot use the BIRG regional ticket, so you must also purchase Rome transit tickets if you plan to use mass transit in the city. The financial comparison: if you take the train in second class the fare is Euro 9,50 each way, plus a full day Rome transit pass at 4 Euro, for a total of 23 Euro for each adult. If you go first class on the train the total is 29 Euro. The BIRG ticket, which is only good on the regional trains (not the IC), covers both round trip train and Rome mass transit for 9 Euro per person.

The IC train is similarly limited on the return to Civitavecchia in the afternoon. There is only one to choose from, departing Termini at 3:46 PM or Ostiense at 3:55, arriving at Civitavecchia at 4:35 PM.

Using the IC shortens your day, but with very young children that may be enough for you.

Here's how they are covering their costs for this "free" service.

From their web site:

Train tickets from the port cost €10 per person, we can even buy them for you and have them ready so your not lining up at the ticket desk for tickets.

First, they don't specify if the ticket they buy you is one way or round trip. So, best case they are charging an additional 1 Euro per person. Worst case, if they are charging 10 Euro for a one-way ticket, is that they are charging Euro 5,50 for their "free" service.

And the only service they seem to be providing is to walk you the four blocks to the station and hand you tickets you could easily purchase yourself.

Here's how they are covering their costs for this "free" service.

From their web site:

Train tickets from the port cost €10 per person, we can even buy them for you and have them ready so your not lining up at the ticket desk for tickets.

First, they don't specify if the ticket they buy you is one way or round trip. So, best case they are charging an additional 1 Euro per person. Worst case, if they are charging 10 Euro for a one-way ticket, is that they are charging Euro 5,50 for their "free" service.

And the only service they seem to be providing is to walk you the four blocks to the station and hand you tickets you could easily purchase yourself.

After rereading my response, I think I was a tad snarkier than necessary here. For those who are comfortable taking the trains on their own, the benefit offered isn't worth much.

However, for those who are not comfortable striking out on their own and who would otherwise need to chose from a private tour or a ship's excursion, the small fee this firm adds on is relatively insignificant when viewed against the potential savings vs. their other options.

http://angeltoursrome.com/cruise.htm

hi . they claim to offer "free" service for 10 or more people to the train in order to be "green". has anyone ever dealt with this?

I looked at that company before I booked my walking tour with Roman Candle. Angel gets very good reviews on Trip Advisor. I thought making it to Rome by 9 am might not be so easy either. I don't know why more people don't use the professional guided walking tours in Rome with several of the companies that get great reviews on Trip Advisor. But we have several pages of posts for certain driver guide companies. I guess I can only look at myself in the mirror as we used a driver guide service last year. But we're doing it differently this summer.

If I were taking two children 2&5 I would take a later train about 9:30 or 10. I hope you will have a stroller. I would get off at St Peters and walk to the Vatican. I would not go in to the bacillica or museums. Just take it all in. Then walk past the Castle St Angelo over the bridge of angles to Plaza Narvona. **Stop for pizza or gelato whenever the kids get cranky**. Continue to the Pantheon then I would go to the Torre Argentina (Romes cat santuary) where the children can see the cats living among the ruins. This is on the way to the Roman Forum. Walk past the forum to the coloseum. Take metro back to Termini and let kids see all the trains. As long as it's not too late in the afternoon the trains shouldn't be too crowded on the way back. I would also get on the last car of the train which is usually less crowded. You don't get to see everything but with two small children this would be a less stressful day. You will enjoy just wandering around Rome without rushing.

I am planning to go a little later into Rome say 930 to1000, we are in for a vatican tour at 230, gets out about 530. Then will return to ship. Has anybody had any experiencing as to how crowded the trains will be at these hours. We will be there on 9/30/2011.

I just want to avoid the bus from the ship my last experience with the bus was fright ful over 2 hours each way.

Thanks for any response.

Deemob

As there are 10 of you in your group, have you compared the cost of going on the IC train to getting a private tour from a company such as Rome in a Limo?

I would have thought the private tour would be easier with the kids.

Deemob

As there are 10 of you in your group, have you compared the cost of going on the IC train to getting a private tour from a company such as Rome in a Limo?

I would have thought the private tour would be easier with the kids.

A transport is different than a tour, perhaps Deemob might price out a straight transfer from the port to town, then back later in the day, and look at that vs. the train rather than a full day of car service, which is much more expensive.

We have just returned from a Med cruise (Brilliance 12-24 Sept) and took the advice on this board about buying a BIRG ticket and taking the train from Civitavecchia to Rome. Whilst it was a cheap option for getting to Rome we did, however, experience serious overcrowding in both directions and it was not an enjoyable trip.

When we arrived at the station for the 8.40 train there were hundreds of people already waiting on the narrow platform and the train, when it arrived, was already full. We had to stand, crammed in and hot, for the entire length of the hour long journey. Our return journey to Civitavecchia was no better and was also full on it's arrival in S Pietro station. We actually spent most of the return sitting on the stairs of the double decker train, as that was preferable to standing for another hour after walking around Rome all day.

If you have problems with crowds and heat, or problems standing for extended periods, you may well want to look at different options.

This is why I always suggest a private tour. It's not that I can't do things on my own... I've traveled all over. But with ports like Rome and Livorno, it's just worth every penny to have someone get me where I want to be for the day. Rome is a MAGICAL city and to have only 10 to 12 hours in port, well... to me, it's just worth booking someone who can get every possible second of my time there. We tried the train in Florence one year... I had seen all the major sites with a private driver. The train stopped somewhere in between for 2 HOURS... no one moving on the train... announcements were made and no one seems all that bothered with getting off the train and we had no clue why we were stopped. It just was NOT worth the effort that went into trying to do it alone.

• 5 weeks later...

Thank you for the great information in this thread....especially about possible overcrowding. I have several questions. We plan buy use the BIRG tickets option from the Port to Rome.

As we will have previously done much of our sightseeing in Rome, we plan to spend our entire Port day in the Trastevere area.

...what is the best station to exit the train to get to Trastevere?

...our Port day is on a Saturday..it looks like only two large ships will be in Port that day...Carnival Magic and Pacific Princess...what are the chances of overcrowding on train? I assume there will be no commute traffic.

Thank for the help.

Archived