Overcrowding on the Civitavecchia to Rome trains

uktraveller

hal2000: I was a bit confused looking at this site but - wow! Your explanation was very interesting and so was my findings! I had 'learned' that we would have one ship in port (Rome) for Nov 2nd, but now I see that there will be 3 others - and one docks at 6 am. :( Guess we will be in the same boat - oops, I mean train.:rolleyes:

We will have been in Rome for a pre cruise visit so were hoping to take a little later train to avoid the crowds. This says that one ship docks at 8 am and the Cunard ship is there 'full day' so guess we will also have a bit of a crowded train.

Thanks for the link... I will never assume again :eek: (Guess I should check the other ports.)

You need to differ between ships in transit:

Ships in transit:

earlier go to Rome and later return...

Ships with passenger exchange:

later go to Rome (after collection of baggage) and earlier go to Civitavecchia (for debarkation)

and many use transfers to the airport.

We were once just two ships in town which was very smooth...

Regards

HeinBloed

Not sure what you mean but all of the ships have stops before and after Rome - so not beginning or starting trips.

Oceania - 0700-2000

Louis Cruises- 0600-1600

Pullmantur -0800-1930

Cunard -'full day'

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/visitingcivitavecchiaromeitaly-02nov2010.html

INSIGNIA (Oceania) - in transit,

i. e. everybody wants to leave early the ship and return as late as possible... but small ship... and expensive which means not so many cruisers doing DIY by train...

ORIENT QUEEN (Louis) - in transit

same - but budget cruise - many DIY-guests...

SOVEREIGN (Pullmantur) - in transit

same - budget cruise too...

QUEEN ELIZABETH (Cunard) - in transit

should be there from 07.00 hrs to 19.00 hrs - same like INSIGNIA...

Hope this helps you to rate the situation...

Regards

HeinBloed

We also found severe crowding in our one-way train trip into Rome from Citavecchia (the cruise ended there). We were crammed into the space between cars along with many others and their luggage, until we literally could not move--and more people kept getting on at stops.

We were luckily able to snag a couple of seats about 15 minutes before arrival in Rome when a couple of people left. I can imagine how hard this would be after touring all day in Rome.

BTW, this was in late April of this year, so not at the peak of tourist season. But you know what? We'd take the train again.

p.s. a link to the site that I used. Click on the port and the month that you'll be there.

I like this cruise calendar as well, it actually lists more cruise lines I believe (it includes Regent and Oceania, for instance):

http://www.cruisereport.com/PortsOfCallList.aspx#Clist

Yes...a good idea to cross reference a couple of sites.

From what I can see, Cruisereport doesn't show Costa ships whereas CruiseTT does. Costa Pacifica (3700 passengers) is in Civitavecchia every Sunday throughout the next two months.

This last site didn't mention any of the other ships that the cruisecal site did. Cunard was one of the ships. I guess I can understand not mentioning the Louis Cruises and Pullmantur, altho if they have passengers, it will affect the crowds.

Guess I will plan on standing... then be pleasantly surprised, rather than the reverse...;)

This last site didn't mention any of the other ships that the cruisecal site did. Cunard was one of the ships.

Which site did you mean when you said, "this last site" ... CruiseTT or CruiseReport?

There are a couple of recommendations in posts above (mine included) recommending CruiseCal, but some people are opposed to paying for the service.

I have said it before, and will say it again, that I think CruiseCal dot com is the most accurate in reporting what ships are in port. I've been tracking all of them for over four years.

Yes, they do charge a nominal amount for the info, It's worth it. It can be a great tool in planning your trip.

We certainly are big fans of doing your homework but believe that there are times when you need to not get overly concerned about the "small stuff' that is beyond your control. Civitavecchia is a huge port and handles many ships every day. They do not just have cruise ships but also have many ferries (many of these are the size of small to medium cruise ships) coming into this port. We have been in this port many times, used the train many times, and have only encountered overly crowded trains on two ocassions. So what. Its part of the price you pay for going to popular places during the main cruise season. Just grin and go with the flow. Think of this train like you would a long subway ride. Try to be one of the first off your ship and get to the train station as early as possible (this can help beat much of the crowd).

Hank

Hi all,

Great info!

I'm actually planning for next August 2011.

I already know that there will be at least 4 ships in port the same day -

NCL Epic (ship I am on)

RCCI Liberty of the seas (eek another biggie!)

HAL - think it was the Amsterdam

and a COSTA ship

I have always anticipated it would be busy - very busy , however,

what i would like to know is does anyone have any experience of travelling after the main rush? Say from 9am onwards? Would that be considered after the main rush? I have walking difficulties so would not relish standing for over an hour in a packed train. I do know there are options to go on the 'fast train' and book seats, but wanted to get general thoughts on just leaving port later.

I have been to Italy many times and have been to Rome quite a number of times on land based holidays, this will be my husband and 15yr old daughters first visit to Italy.

They are not overly bothered about the Vatican for this trip, infact we do not want a day full of cramming sights.

This will be one of many italian adventures i expect so we are happy to probably just visit the Collosseum (this is the MUST do for daughter and husband and i'm looking forward to seeing their faces when they see it for real for the first time :D) possibly The Forum (time permitting) and definately the Trevi Fountain (have to throw some more coins in of course! :D) and also have a bite to eat and a gelato.

We would like to travel back missing the main rush too if possible, would leaving Rome around 4pm achieve that or is that around when everyone starts to head back?

I'm wondering if my plans would give enough time to do all of the above or if that would be pushing things?.

Any info or suggestions most welcome!

Grazie mille , Ciao ;)

Sam :)

It's impossible to predict how crowded the trains may be on any particular day, even by looking at the number of ships in port. The information is directional, so perhaps you can say that odds are it might be more difficult, but ...

Yes, later trains in the morning will be less crowded, but you wind up with a very short day in Rome. After 9 AM the next train is at 9:41, which puts you in Rome at 10:37 (Roma Ostiense, since you are headed to the Colosseum).

An "earlier" return train at 4:09 PM would put you in Civitavecchia at 5:13 PM. However, I would expect this train to be fairly crowded since the "on-board" times for ships vary, and because some (many?) DIYers are risk averse and head back early in order to ensure they won't miss their ship.

In your case, I would advise you to begin your return trip at Termini, something I rarely encourage. This way you are almost certainly guaranteed a seat. Given your list of "must see" sites, it would be easy to wind up your day at Trevi and walk to the Barberini metro stop to catch a ride to Termini.

Hi all,

Great info!

I'm actually planning for next August 2011.

I already know that there will be at least 4 ships in port the same day -

NCL Epic (ship I am on)

RCCI Liberty of the seas (eek another biggie!)

HAL - think it was the Amsterdam

and a COSTA ship

I have always anticipated it would be busy - very busy , however,

what i would like to know is does anyone have any experience of travelling after the main rush? Say from 9am onwards? Would that be considered after the main rush? I have walking difficulties so would not relish standing for over an hour in a packed train. I do know there are options to go on the 'fast train' and book seats, but wanted to get general thoughts on just leaving port later.

I have been to Italy many times and have been to Rome quite a number of times on land based holidays, this will be my husband and 15yr old daughters first visit to Italy.

They are not overly bothered about the Vatican for this trip, infact we do not want a day full of cramming sights.

This will be one of many italian adventures i expect so we are happy to probably just visit the Collosseum (this is the MUST do for daughter and husband and i'm looking forward to seeing their faces when they see it for real for the first time :D) possibly The Forum (time permitting) and definately the Trevi Fountain (have to throw some more coins in of course! :D) and also have a bite to eat and a gelato.

We would like to travel back missing the main rush too if possible, would leaving Rome around 4pm achieve that or is that around when everyone starts to head back?

I'm wondering if my plans would give enough time to do all of the above or if that would be pushing things?.

Any info or suggestions most welcome!

Grazie mille , Ciao ;)

I'm the OP.

After our experience of being packed in like sardines on the way to Rome we made the decision to leave earlier than we would otherwise have done, in the hope of being able to get a seat on the return journey. We got the 15.39....and that too was packed when we got on at S. Pietro. If we had got on at Termini instead we may well have got a seat.

It's impossible to predict how crowded the trains may be on any particular day, even by looking at the number of ships in port. The information is directional, so perhaps you can say that odds are it might be more difficult, but ...

Yes, later trains in the morning will be less crowded, but you wind up with a very short day in Rome. After 9 AM the next train is at 9:41, which puts you in Rome at 10:37 (Roma Ostiense, since you are headed to the Colosseum).

An "earlier" return train at 4:09 PM would put you in Civitavecchia at 5:13 PM. However, I would expect this train to be fairly crowded since the "on-board" times for ships vary, and because some (many?) DIYers are risk averse and head back early in order to ensure they won't miss their ship.

In your case, I would advise you to begin your return trip at Termini, something I rarely encourage. This way you are almost certainly guaranteed a seat. Given your list of "must see" sites, it would be easy to wind up your day at Trevi and walk to the Barberini metro stop to catch a ride to Termini.

Hiya,

Thanks, we do not mind a slightly shorter day in Rome, we are hoping for a fab, fun relaxed holiday overall without too much running about cramming sights. So as long as my husband and daughter get to spend some time at the Collosseum, daughter has a real italian pizza and we all get an ice cream (hope they still make my childhood favourite flavour!) and a limonata and we all throw our 3 coins in the Trevi so we are sure of a return visit we will be happy!! :D

Thanks for the info regarding the metro near the Trevi, i had been looking at the stops and you confirm my thoughts regarding that :)

I'm the OP.

After our experience of being packed in like sardines on the way to Rome we made the decision to leave earlier than we would otherwise have done, in the hope of being able to get a seat on the return journey. We got the 15.39....and that too was packed when we got on at S. Pietro. If we had got on at Termini instead we may well have got a seat.

Hiya,

I was pleased you posted your experience as many have said how easy it is but i had thought it would probably on busy days be exactly like you described - easy but horrendous!

I will decide times nearer our departure but definatly swaying towards leaving on a later train - depending on my research regarding the Collosseum visiting and coming back mid afternoon. Thanks for the info on that 15:39 train, i too had hoped S.Pietro wouldn't be too bad earlier but looks like we will indeed be better going to Termini.

Thanks again for your thread, much appreciated

Hiya,

I was pleased you posted your experience as many have said how easy it is but i had thought it would probably on busy days be exactly like you described - easy but horrendous!

I will decide times nearer our departure but definatly swaying towards leaving on a later train - depending on my research regarding the Collosseum visiting and coming back mid afternoon. Thanks for the info on that 15:39 train, i too had hoped S.Pietro wouldn't be too bad earlier but looks like we will indeed be better going to Termini.

Thanks again for your thread, much appreciated

You're welcome :). I'm sure there are many times when it's a comfortable journey but there are also occasions when it is not quite so easy as some posts suggest.

We are sailing out of Rome on X Equinox next July and I'm going to look very carefully at the port schedules before deciding how to do the Rome to Civi transfers.

You're welcome :). I'm sure there are many times when it's a comfortable journey but there are also occasions when it is not quite so easy as some posts suggest.

We are sailing out of Rome on X Equinox next July and I'm going to look very carefully at the port schedules before deciding how to do the Rome to Civi transfers.

Yes I agree, i think my date will not be one of those easy comfortable ones, i've already estimated about 7000+ cruise passengers in port on that day! :eek:

OOO X Equinox looks gorgeous, I would of liked Celebrity myself but we let our daughter have input regarding ship choice and she really loves the look of the Epic and no doubt it will a great choice for a fun holiday, maybe next time we will try Celebrity :D

...now to look at planning ideas for Naples, Livorno and Palma...2 of which i'm thinking will be very busy too :rolleyes::D

Thanks again and happy planning for yours too!

Yes I agree, i think my date will not be one of those easy comfortable ones, i've already estimated about 7000+ cruise passengers in port on that day! :eek:

OOO X Equinox looks gorgeous, I would of liked Celebrity myself but we let our daughter have input regarding ship choice and she really loves the look of the Epic and no doubt it will a great choice for a fun holiday, maybe next time we will try Celebrity :D

...now to look at planning ideas for Naples, Livorno and Palma...2 of which i'm thinking will be very busy too :rolleyes::D

Thanks again and happy planning for yours too!

Good luck Sam. If there are that many ships in port, the driver guides might fill up as well. If there is a port you are considering using one, you may want to get a head start. For Naples, if you want to do both Pompeii and Positano/Sorrento/Ravello, driver guide service like AP Tours might be the way to go.

I think something is getting lost in this thread. There are several options for going between Civitavecchia and Rome such as private car/driver, taxi, train, rental car, or cruise line excursion. For those that buy a BIRG ticket for about 9 Euros they get round trip train and unlimited days use of all the Metros buses and trams in Rome. And yes, the train might be crowded or perhaps it will not be crowded, but remember you are only paying about $13 per person which covers all your transportation needs for the day. If you prefer to be a bit more comfortable you can certainly use some of the other options, but remember it is going to cost you a lot more money and it might even take quite a bit longer each way then the train depending on the auto traffic as you near Rome.

Hank

I think something is getting lost in this thread. There are several options for going between Civitavecchia and Rome such as private car/driver, taxi, train, rental car, or cruise line excursion. For those that buy a BIRG ticket for about 9 Euros they get round trip train and unlimited days use of all the Metros buses and trams in Rome. And yes, the train might be crowded or perhaps it will not be crowded, but remember you are only paying about $13 per person which covers all your transportation needs for the day. If you prefer to be a bit more comfortable you can certainly use some of the other options, but remember it is going to cost you a lot more money and it might even take quite a bit longer each way then the train depending on the auto traffic as you near Rome.

Hank

I agree Hank and while an earlier post mentioned going later I would recommend just the opposite. We docked and were cleared to get off around 7:10 and still made the 7:33 train and found a seat fine. Most cruise passengers dilly dallied and came on the later trains, not sure if they found seats or not. My experience was that if you were in that first group, you did not have a problem with seats.

Kirk

Good luck Sam. If there are that many ships in port, the driver guides might fill up as well. If there is a port you are considering using one, you may want to get a head start. For Naples, if you want to do both Pompeii and Positano/Sorrento/Ravello, driver guide service like AP Tours might be the way to go.

Hiya !

Thanks for the APTours tip, I will have a look at them.

Although we do tend to prefer to organise our own transport utilising local trains and buses wherever we travel around the world as opposed to 'tours' of any sort, we are quite an independant family (assuming i do my homework) and husband and daughter love travelling on local transportation as part of the fun :D

However i shall also look at the driver guide serviices offered too :D

Sam:)

Hank

Hi Hank,

I'm sorry, I do not agree about something getting lost in this thread.

The OP's original point was that although the BIRG ticket is good value it can also be said that it is not always the most comfortable journey.

I think all the posts have been relevant to that point regarding ease, convenience, cost and comfort.

My questions i feel were also relevant as they were specifically about ease and comfort and I even said about still catching the train, just not with the first rush. - I personally never quibbled about the value of the fare and i don't think anyone else has either.

Sorry if you don't agree, but i really can't see where the OP's thread has got lost? :confused:

I agree Hank and while an earlier post mentioned going later I would recommend just the opposite. We docked and were cleared to get off around 7:10 and still made the 7:33 train and found a seat fine. Most cruise passengers dilly dallied and came on the later trains, not sure if they found seats or not. My experience was that if you were in that first group, you did not have a problem with seats.

Kirk

Hi Kirk,

I'm assuming you are referring to my post?

I mentioned going later for specific reasons relevant to me and my family, not as a general rule for all.

I have walking/standing difficulties (which i did mention) so a mad dash off the ship is not practical for me, neither would be the possibility of standing for over an hour on a crowded train - I wouldnt be able to move when we arrived in Rome!

We are not bothered about cramming all the sights in on one day trip and thus needing to be off the ship first as we know living in the UK we will go to Italy again (I've actually already covered Italy extensively prior to getting married, I love the country and I'm happy to go back lots! :D).

So yes I can see that to the majority of people getting off the ship first would indeed be the best option and i wasnt in any way suggesting otherwise, but perhaps it wouldnt be the best option for me, hence my original questions earlier.

I do however appreciate your comment about that very early train.

I have walking/standing difficulties (which i did mention) so a mad dash off the ship is not practical for me, neither would be the possibility of standing for over an hour on a crowded train - I wouldnt be able to move when we arrived in Rome!

Even with your best efforts, if you do find yourself on a crowded train, simply ask for a seat. No one offered one to my elderly mother on the train from the airport into Rome, but when I asked a man to move, he did.

Archived