Hotel & Transfers NYC - Caribbean Princess

villauk

We're a family of 4 (2 sons aged 8 & 10) and we're considering Caribbean Princess Canada & New England cruise for August 2011. If we fly into JFK on Friday 19/8 mid-morning (cruise begins 20/8), where would you suggest staying? We would also like a post-cruise stay of 3 nights to sightsee, are we best staying in the city? We would also need transfers to the cruise terminal, I'm not sure which one Princess sails from? We have considered using Princess for flights/hotel package etc., however, if we book 2 cabins we cannot have 1 room for us all in NYC and this would also mean we'd be paying for 4 adults rather than 2 adults and 2 children. We did investigate mini suites, but we can only reserve minis towards the aft of the ship for 4 persons and we would prefer a mid-ship position. So, it may be easier for us to book the 2 cabins (1 balcony & 1 inside) and then arrange our own flights, hotels and transfers which is where we could do with some help:confused:.

We're a family of 4 (2 sons aged 8 & 10) and we're considering Caribbean Princess Canada & New England cruise for August 2011. If we fly into JFK on Friday 19/8 mid-morning (cruise begins 20/8), where would you suggest staying? We would also like a post-cruise stay of 3 nights to sightsee, are we best staying in the city? We would also need transfers to the cruise terminal, I'm not sure which one Princess sails from? We have considered using Princess for flights/hotel package etc., however, if we book 2 cabins we cannot have 1 room for us all in NYC and this would also mean we'd be paying for 4 adults rather than 2 adults and 2 children. We did investigate mini suites, but we can only reserve minis towards the aft of the ship for 4 persons and we would prefer a mid-ship position. So, it may be easier for us to book the 2 cabins (1 balcony & 1 inside) and then arrange our own flights, hotels and transfers which is where we could do with some help:confused:.

Whatever you do, with two young sons, make sure you book your post cruise stay in Manhattan. People will tell you to save money and stay outside Manhattan but being unfamiliar with the city and trying to commute with two boys will suck any joy out of the trip. Also, August is one of the least expensive times of year to book Manhattan hotel rooms.

Look at The Sheraton New York. It is close enough to Times Square yet still outside the crazyness.

Book your own post cruise stay but I wouldn't hesitate to have Princess make your precruise arrangements.

Whatever you do, with two young sons, make sure you book your post cruise stay in Manhattan. People will tell you to save money and stay outside Manhattan but being unfamiliar with the city and trying to commute with two boys will suck any joy out of the trip. Also, August is one of the least expensive times of year to book Manhattan hotel rooms.

Look at The Sheraton New York. It is close enough to Times Square yet still outside the crazyness.

Book your own post cruise stay but I wouldn't hesitate to have Princess make your precruise arrangements.

Thanks for hotel suggestion. Do you know what the Paramount is like?How far is JFK from Manhattan? What is the best way to get there with luggage and 2 kids? So many questions, sorry!!!!!

Lots of questions, but plenty of time. If you do not need to stay in Manhattan the day you arrive, the strategy we recommend for folks is to use Hotwire for a 3*+ hotel at JFK for your arrival date (start looking about 6 months out). You must use Hotwire since you are 4 people. The next morning you can take a cab or car service to the pier in Brooklyn. Perhaps greatam and others will post and give you more specific strategies and recommendations for Hotwire and NY car services. This will be a lot less expensive than booking a hotel and transfer through Princess. It is likely that Princess will not get you accommodations in Manhattan - you will still probably be at an airport hotel near JFK.

I'm sure you will receive a lot of hotel recommendations for Manhattan. Since you will be there several days and have small children, you might want to look at Radio City Apartments. I have not stayed there, but I have read TripAdvisor comments and have priced this location several times and they can be competitive, particularly when you consider that they have a microwave and refrigerator plus a super location.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your comments.

We have been quoted a package price together with our flights for a pre night stay at the Courtyard by Marriott, JFK airport and 4 nights post cruise at the Crowne Plaza, Times Square. Your mentioned using a cab service from the Courtyard, which do you suggest and roughly how much would it cost? Also, on disembarkation day, how would you suggest we get to the Crowne Plaza? We would also require transfers from the Plaza back to JFK, is there a local shuttle service? I realise we have plenty of time, however, we are trying to obtain total costings as the flights alone are extremely expensive at this time of year for a family of four and transfers etc. soon add up. Any thoughts on the hotels would also be appreciated. Many thanks.

Archived