Info re Visa for St. Petersburg for Cdn. Citizens

oshawa

Could someone give me advice re acquiring a visa to visit St. Petersburg, Russia, for our May 211 cruise? I read somewhere on these boards that if you purchase a shore excursion with either HAL or a private tour company that this would be taken care of.

Is this correct or do Canadians have to procure a visa from the Canadian Consulate prior to leaving on the cruise?

I am assuming that Russia is the only country we would require a visa.

If you are looking at going with a private company (Red October, DenRus, Alla, etc.) while in St. Petersburg, I highly recommend you ask that company re: visa policy for Canadians.

I have never read anything different in how they handle Canadian citizens, but that does not mean there can't be different procedures.

btw---I also highly recommend using a private tour company while there. I used Red October, and I swear I saw absolutely everything that was on all the HAL tours combined.

Prepare to be exhausted---and glad of it!

Visa policy for Canadians in Russia is the same as Americans, i.e. we all need one.

There are 3 methods of obtaining said visa.

1) Take a HAL shore excursion. The visa will be included as part of your excursion.

2) Book a private tour as suggested by Ruth. The tour company will look after the visa requirement for you and provide you with instructions in advance of the cruise.

3) Obtain your own visa in Canada before leaving. Very expensive and time-consuming for us Canadians.

I definitely recommend the private tour alternative. Sign up to your Roll Call and organize a group or join one. Our group of 8 visited with Anastasia Travel according to a schedule we had agreed upon before the trip. A much more relaxed way of travelling than the usual 55 person HAL excursion. There are many recommended tourist agencies on the Europe board. Do your research and you will really enjoy this wonderful cruise.

Archived