info on Trinidad.

caber

Thanks again everyone.

The trip we are looking at at the moment is the 4x4 tour which goes up the mountains then finishes off with a swim at Maracas Bay. It is only 4 hours but we are leaning towards this one.

The Asa Wright trip is another one we may consider.

Thanks again everyone.

The trip we are looking at at the moment is the 4x4 tour which goes up the mountains then finishes off with a swim at Maracas Bay. It is only 4 hours but we are leaning towards this one.

The Asa Wright trip is another one we may consider.

Check out the description of the 4x4 trip. It is not off road, just a 4-wheel drive vehicle on regular (steep and winding) roads. Maracas can sometimes have a little bit of rough water, but they mark any dangerous areas with red flags. Outside of Port of Spain is peaceful, nice and green. The 4x4 excursion will have nice views of the ocean & mountains.

At Asa Wright you will see lots of birds, and maybe monitor lizards on the trail. You will probably also get to see/hear the bearded bellbird, whose call sounds just like sombody hitting a metal pipe.

Get a cab and go to the old fort that overlooks the city (and island) - you can see Argentinia on a clear day. Because of the roads (poor) I don't think a tour bus could make it - maybe thats why its not offered. Wonderful. I can try to post some pics of that view tomorrow (pics on a different computer). I would rate Jamiaca well below Trinidad, matter of fact I will stay on the ship if I am ever on another cruise that stops there. JK

• 2 weeks later...

If/when you ever stop at Trinidad

do not get off the ship and wander around the nearby city area.

It's common knowledge that you either take a ship's tour

which guarantees your ship won't leave you

-or you hire a taxi to get you out of the Port of Spain docklands area

and out into the pleasant parts of Trinidad -and there are many

but you're not going to find them (guaranteed!)

anywhere within a mile of where you ship will dock.

Don't set yourself up for disappointment..

• 2 weeks later...
Having done, I think, them all . . . Asa Wright if you are into nature. Great trip over the island to get there, well-guided tour, lots of birds.

George Newton or Wayne Gray tours for good guided tour with lots of birds or would you stick with Asa Wright

Thanks

• 1 month later...
I have asked this question on the "ports of call " board but have not had any replies.

I would like a recommendation for a Princess tour in Port of Spain, Trinidad. We go there in December and would like to take a Princess tour as I am not sure about walking about on our own. I don`t particularly want to see the town itself.

Any help would be appreciated.

May I suggest that you do the Trinidad Highlights and Scenic Drive or the Caroni Nature reserve by flat bottom boat trip. Another good oprion is the Highlights and Monastry tour.

Regards,

Charles

• 2 years later...

I have been in Trinidad on business off and on for the last five months. For those looking for a private tour I can recommend Mark Bisnath's Taxi. He has been very helpful, informative and is always on-time. His number is 766-8114.

Of the the ten islands we visited on a recent cruise we thought Trinidad was the most interesting. In the morning we did a long city walk - we are interested in architecture and Port of Spain has some astonishing survivals from the colonial era, notably the Magnificent Seven on Maraval Road. We thought the city was perfectly safe and we had no problems at all, apart from the heat and eventually screaming feet.

In the late afternoon we took a ship's tour to the Coroni Bird Sanctuary to see the scarlet ibis returning to their roosts. An amazing sight and one of the world's great natural spectacles.

Archived