Help-lost camera

pegpowell

I just got off the Crown Princess (Sept. 27) in Quebec. I discovered my missing camera the day before.

It disappeared in Charlottetown, PEI or on board. I don't care if I have to replace the camera, but I can't replace the pictures and would at least like to have the SD card back.

Margaret Powell

777 Terrapin Ct.

Concord, CA 94518

Canon S5

Tamrak (?) case about 7”w x 4”d x 6”h

Also contained 4 extra rechargeable batteries, 4 extra AA batteries, and 2 extra SD cards

Case had a zipper compartment on the front and one small zipper compartment on each side.

SD card in camera had pictures of Statue of Liberty, Coast Guard Academy, city tour of Boston, Acadia National Park, city sights of Saint John, Peggy's Cove, shots of the artists (Wyland, Walfriedo, and Jim Warren) working on board, etc.

There was no identification on or in the camera and case.

I just got off the Crown Princess (Sept. 27) in Quebec. I discovered my missing camera the day before.

It disappeared in Charlottetown, PEI or on board. I don't care if I have to replace the camera, but I can't replace the pictures and would at least like to have the SD card back.

Margaret Powell

777 Terrapin Ct.

Concord, CA 94518

Canon S5

Tamrak (?) case about 7”w x 4”d x 6”h

Also contained 4 extra rechargeable batteries, 4 extra AA batteries, and 2 extra SD cards

Case had a zipper compartment on the front and one small zipper compartment on each side.

SD card in camera had pictures of Statue of Liberty, Coast Guard Academy, city tour of Boston, Acadia National Park, city sights of Saint John, Peggy's Cove, shots of the artists (Wyland, Walfriedo, and Jim Warren) working on board, etc.

There was no identification on or in the camera and case.

Did you contact Princess?

For others that carry digital cameras, a good way to have your contact info with the camera would be to put your name/address/phone on a paper and take a photo of it so that if it gets lost you may be reuntited with your camera. :)

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I hope you checked lost and found onboard? I actually got lucky last cruise, mine was turned into the purser's desk and I got it back. I still can't figure out how it escaped from my purse as I never took it out, but it was gone when I went to reach for it.

Best of luck, I hope you are as lucky!

The Guardian

www.theguardian.pe.ca

165 Prince Street

Charlottetown, C1A 4R7

Telephone (902) 629-6000

Email: comments@theguardian.pe.ca

The contact info above is for the local newspaper. If you sent them a letter I bet they would publish it! You never know!

Good Luck

Edited by Liz54
typo

http://www.ifoundyourcamera.net/

http://www.camerafound.com/

Also, post on Craigslist lost and found in the cities where you might have lost it.

We found a camera 2 years ago that I would love to return to the owner. Unfortunately, it's a digital with no card and needs a weird cable to download, so I still haven't been able to get any images off it to post. Every once in a while I still post something, hoping someone will see it. So, as the "finder" of a camera, I would like to get the word out about the first site listed above so that if I ever get pics downloaded, hopefully the camera can be returned.

As the OP states, it's not the camera, but the priceless images. Some of the images on the first site above bring tears to my eyes when I realize that some of those people have lost those images, perhaps forever: first moments with a new baby, weddings, family reunions, last moments with friends/family.

http://www.ifoundyourcamera.net/

http://www.camerafound.com/

Also, post on Craigslist lost and found in the cities where you might have lost it.

We found a camera 2 years ago that I would love to return to the owner. Unfortunately, it's a digital with no card and needs a weird cable to download, so I still haven't been able to get any images off it to post. Every once in a while I still post something, hoping someone will see it. So, as the "finder" of a camera, I would like to get the word out about the first site listed above so that if I ever get pics downloaded, hopefully the camera can be returned.

As the OP states, it's not the camera, but the priceless images. Some of the images on the first site above bring tears to my eyes when I realize that some of those people have lost those images, perhaps forever: first moments with a new baby, weddings, family reunions, last moments with friends/family.

Maybe if you contacted the camera's manufacturer/importer and gave them the serial number and model # they could locate the owner. assuming the registration was sent in. Which you should always do when buying a camera.

While this tip is too late to be helpful to this OP, I'd suggest using a simple name and address sticker on your cameras, chargers, and other electronic equipment with which you travel.

I got in the habit of doing that when traveling with high school students abroad and it proved to be such worthwhile advice. One time a student lost his camera at Dulles Airport -- before we even left US soil! An honest person forund the camera and his camera got home before he did! A few months later I left my camera at a covered bridge in New England -- my name & address sticker was still in place -- and my camera beat me home!

A couple of cruises ago, I lost my camera and before I even realized it was missing, the purser's desk left a message on my cabin phone that my camera had been turned in.

Two important lessons here: 1.) I should be a lot more careful with my own camera! :eek:

And 2.) Fortunately there are still honest people in the world! :)

Maybe if you contacted the camera's manufacturer/importer and gave them the serial number and model # they could locate the owner. assuming the registration was sent in. Which you should always do when buying a camera.

Thank you for this idea...I never thought of that. It's a little waterproof wrist camera, and we found it on a wilderness float trip...judging from where we foud it, someone had capsized. Assuming they were several days into their trip, they probably have awesome pictures on it.

For others that carry digital cameras, a good way to have your contact info with the camera would be to put your name/address/phone on a paper and take a photo of it so that if it gets lost you may be reuntited with your camera. :)

better yet - i stick a return address labrl right onto the camera - i put one inside my eyeglass and sunglass cases also

my husband's glasses were mailed to us from a ver sweet hawaiian lady from hilo - it works.....................

I use ezfind.com. You purchase stickers from them for a small fee then register your items online. If someone finds the item, all they have to do is call the number on the sticker or go to the site, which coordinates the return without exposing personal info.

If your home address is on the item and it is stolen early in a trip, they know your home may be empty too...

Another thought. Sd cards are inexpensive enough that it makes sense to swap them out every few days at most if you cant dl the images to a pc. I have a small waterproof pelican case with 8 8 gb cards and switch them out every 2 days even if room is left on them... If your camera doesnt shoot at high resolutions you can cover 2 weeks with maybe 8 2 gbs, which I hav seen on sale for $8 or less.

I did this after reading your tip before. I have locked the image on the SD card so I can't delete it by mistake. Great tip, thanks. :)

• 4 years later...
You can plug your card into your computer and create a file on your sd card and put all your info in case it gets lost and somebody finds it.

I even mentioned reward etc. give people more of an incentive to get the pics back to you

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Yes that's another good way to have ID in your camera/SD card. :)

When we went on our Grand Med cruise, it was the first time ever for Europe for us and the photos were very important to us. I brought along a little net book and copied the photos from the day every evening. I did take a lot of photos. I also put a return address label on the camera and in the camera bag just in case.

Dixon