Unable to tender at Half Moon Cay?

Stacey779

Sounds goooooood!

It's the first stop on this cruise so we have some more ports and the other can help us to be not so sad if we can't tender.

But every time I watch some pictures of HMC I has to :D

Then I'm thinking about that is possible to see the beach only from the ship -> :(

I make myself crazy!!!

Better not think about it!

Most of the HMC October-April tendering issues are caused by cold fronts (not hurricanes) producing lots of wind and swell. Oftentimes the windy conditions will be in crystal clear sunshine - we have these same conditions in FL during those months. From personal experience during these months I would say there is an 80% success rate in tendering at HMC.

If HMC is a priority for you, you can better your odds by choosing an itinerary where HMC is the first stop on your cruise, if cancelled they might be able to adjust the schedule to pick it up on the way back. However, if it is at the end of your cruise, there is no opportunity to re-schedule.

If you are on the E Caribbean itinerary that includes Grand Turk, you run a similar risk, as like HMC, Grand Turk has no natural wind breaks and if it is too windy they cannot dock at Grand Turk.

On a cruise on the Eurodam in December 2008, the first Day out on Sunday we found ourselves at HMC awaiting a UCSC helicopter for a medical evacuation - and it was pristinely beautiful day Stattendam was anchored and guests were enjoying the beach. We left as soon as our passenger was safely on their way to Miami on the Helicopter. On our way back to Ft Luaderdale on Friday, our scheduled stop, a cold front had blown in, the weather was cold and dreary with wind, and with no breaks forecasted they cancelled the call (it would not have been pleasant on the island anyways). Ironically by 11:00, out at sea away from HMC, the weather turned sunny and balmy so all was not lost.

In our 7 visits to HMC (November 2, January 1, March 2, April 2) we have been ashore all 7 times. 5 of these used ship's lifeboats and 2 used the larger island tenders.

We have always had clear, sunny, calm weather. Looks like we have been extremely lucky.

We will be back there in April and hope to make it 8 out of 8 :)

We are at the 50% mark having missed Half Moon Cay two out of four times. In fairness, I can not remember if we used the ship's tenders or something larger. All cruises were in February. Next year we are scheduled for Thursday, February 2nd which will be our last stop on the Noordam before returning to FLL.

Needless to say we will be disappointed if we can not make it to shore as it is a beautiful island and is the most relaxing of all port stops. As for the barbeque, it is certainly most adequate. I am not sure what people expect, lobsters and steak?:rolleyes:

We did not get to go ashore last January. They loaded the supply boat and it started over. A short time later the announcement came we would be cancelling the call and spent the day at sea.

Sadly we are 0 for 1--0%. That day it didn't matter to us whether it stops 30 or 40 or 50%--we were very disappointed to miss our turn:(.

Overall on our cruises to private islands the rate is 50% miss.

I think the "Nieuw Amsterdam" is there the same day.

So port load is >4000.

But I think HMC can handle this.

We are exactly 50% at HMC with the ship's lifeboat tenders.

I'm not too sure how crowded it will feel to you with the Noordam and Nieuw Amsterdam there at the same time. We found it crowded on the beach and at the bbq with a Vista ship (like Noordam) and one of the smaller S or R category ships. Combined less than 3400 pax.

I'm not too sure how crowded it will feel to you with the Noordam and Nieuw Amsterdam there at the same time. We found it crowded on the beach and at the bbq with a Vista ship (like Noordam) and one of the smaller S or R category ships. Combined less than 3400 pax.
We were there with two Vistas, which would be just 200 less than with one Vista and one Sig, and it wasn't terrible. But we go over early, eat as early as we can, and head back, even if we're the only ship. People are still coming in full boat loads when we're leaving! :D

Archived