Notes/Tips for NCL Epic with toddler under 2

Charity0000

1. The standard balcony cabin is nice for two people but when you add a crib (the one provided is a Graco travel pack & play) it is very tight and uncomfortable. If you have a choice, choose a cabin with the bed by the balcony. In this case, you can place the crib between the sofa and the closet. You can also slide the crib towards the cabin door so that it is between the toilet and the shower and you can close the curtain so that you can watch TV or have a light on while the baby sleeps. But, once the crib is set up, the only way to walk through the cabin is by climbing over the couch! So uncomfortable! My mom had an inside cabin across the hall from us, so sometimes we would send the baby and crib over to her cabin at night. It fit soo much better over there - hard to believe, but true!

2. If you have a balcony cabin - be careful! On the first day, my daughter pushed the balcony chair over to the railing and climbed up on the chair all by herself. Thank god I caught what she was doing right away. There is also a child lock on the balcony door.

3. There are great kids activities that she was able to enjoy like: Dora's Dance party, Family Lego time, Nickelodeon Arts & Crafts, and Diego's Story time. These are all free and usually in the late afternoon. Some of them are on port days so it made it a little harder to get to it on time.

4. The Nickelodeon Character Breakfast is great. It is $15 per person, kids under 2 dont pay. You are served breakfast while the characters come out and dance around. Then they call up each table one at a time to meet the characters and take pictures. They have Dora, Diego, Spongebob and Patrick.

5. In the cabin, there is Nick Jr. and Nickelodeon. Which is great - but they REPLAY the same episodes over and over all day, every day. It's on a continuous loop. Shoot me. They have Dora the Explorer, Go Diego Go, Fresh Beat Band, Wonderpets, Kai-Lan, and Umi Zumi. My daughter didnt care that it was the same episodes but if I have to hear why Hoho got mad and hit Rintoo one more time....

6. Some unexpected places to keep a toddler busy... BINGO and Art Auctions. At Bingo, we took a little toy bag for her to play, got our Bingo cards and sat in the back to try our luck. At the Art Auction, we enjoyed free champagne while strolling her around in her stroller. She enjoyed looking at the artwork and i enjoyed my champagne...

7. The pools... no posted signs (that I saw) regarding swim diapers. No enforcement of the rule in either the adult pool nor the kiddie pool. We stayed in the kiddie pool and she had a great time splashing, running, sliding. Never really crowded. Kids at the kiddie pool ranged from 6 months to 8 or 9 years old. There is a wading pool with a slide, a separate area with water spouts and raining umbrella, another area that is completely shaded with more water spouts and splash pads. There is a clown fish that really resembles Nemo and a turtle that really resembles Squirt.

8. Secret weapon: Portable DVD player. I'd never used it before, but i had heard of people using it on plane and car rides to keep their toddlers entertained. We brought it with us and used it at the dinner table. She zombied out everytime and let us enjoy at least one peaceful meal a day.

9. Pack every single medicine you might think you need. Tylenol, Motrin, Benadryl, Pedialyte, Vicks Vapor Rub, Saline drops, Orajel, Bandaids, Neosporin, AfterBite. One that really helped us when she had a stuffy nose one night was a plug-in vaporizer.

10. Don't overplan... you will be exhausted. There is no kids club where you can drop off your kid (under 2)... so you are on-call all day. This is not a real vacation, but there is plenty to do and you will have fun. :) I did have the benefit of having my mom with us but even when we left the baby with her, all I wanted to do was SLEEP. And yes, it was worth it!

If you have any questions about the ship or the ports, I'd be happy to answer. We went to Roatan, Cozumel and Costa Maya.

Happy Travels!

great review!

we are going with our 3yo dd this year on the western also

did you try taking your dd to any of the shows with you?

did you take headphones for the portable dvd player?

we always see older kids wearing them, but the 2 times we have used ours we just kept the volume just barely loud enough for dd to hear and no one complained?

not sure where to find her headphone small enough anyway...

Thank you for the great review. We are sailing on the Eastern route in December with our son who will have just turned 1. Was there any tims during the day that you could go to the kid's club and use the facilities? I heard there were times that were open but you have to stay with the child. We currently have a balcony room booked but are looking to upgrade to a deluxe for the extra room. At least they now accomodate the cribs in the balcony rooms. They didn't for the first month.

OP - glad you had a great cruise, but I'm having a problem with #7 in your post. Did you really take your non-potty trained baby into a non-filtered pool on the Epic? Why would you do that?

She said there were no signs and no one was around telling parents to take their kids out of the pools.

Many, many people who cruise do not check these boards. I don't know about the OP, but if you didn't check these boards, saw no signs, no staff members said anything, and other babies were in the pools, why would you take yours out?

Since babies with swim diapers are allowed on land-based pools, if there is nothing telling the parents otherwise, they will assume it's okay on cruise ships.

5. In the cabin, there is Nick Jr. and Nickelodeon. Which is great - but they REPLAY the same episodes over and over all day, every day. It's on a continuous loop. Shoot me. They have Dora the Explorer, Go Diego Go, Fresh Beat Band, Wonderpets, Kai-Lan, and Umi Zumi. My daughter didnt care that it was the same episodes but if I have to hear why Hoho got mad and hit Rintoo one more time....

I laughed out loud when I read this, my 2 yr old not only watched this over and over again on the cruise now my wife bought the dvd's and I get to hear ho ho and Rintoo every single day...........

OP - glad you had a great cruise, but I'm having a problem with #7 in your post. Did you really take your non-potty trained baby into a non-filtered pool on the Epic? Why would you do that?

If you saw the pool area for the little ones, you would see it is designed for them. Believe me it was packed with kids 6 months to 2 years of age. The kids over the age of 4 and up went to another area that had kids their age. I think they made a mistake not getting the filtration system in but they sure do not seem to be worried about it as they enforce nothing.

We were on the Epic in August with our 1 1/2 year old and let me just say... we all sure loved the kiddie pool. :D

We had an inside cabin and had them bring a "crib" which turned out to be a very small pack and play. Our steward said the regular crib wouldn't fit in the room. It was really a tight squeeze. When she was awake, we just folded it up and put it under the bed.

I can help with answers too if anyone wants to know anything. (Hope I remember). We did the Eastern ports.

Tina

If you saw the pool area for the little ones, you would see it is designed for them. Believe me it was packed with kids 6 months to 2 years of age. The kids over the age of 4 and up went to another area that had kids their age. I think they made a mistake not getting the filtration system in but they sure do not seem to be worried about it as they enforce nothing.

You are absolutely right! NCL is not at all worried about filtration systems in ANY of their pools! Their only "requirement" is....."NO DIAPERS". It doesn't matter if you strip the diaper (swimmie or not) off your non-toilet-trained child and plop them naked into ANY NCL pool. As long as they're not wearing a DIAPER, they're free to poop and pee at will. This thread was so disturbing to me that I called NCL about an hour ago, and sure enough! The rep (who has never cruised - lives in AZ - and is reading from a script) said that NCL's only rule is NO DIAPERS. She also kept repeating that NCL's pools were "salt water with a lot of chlorine" and were emptied and re-filled every day. She also stated that NCL "complies with the US Dept. of Health pool regulations". When I tried to question her further, she said "salt water pools are very healthy. My sister in AZ has one". ?? She could NOT quote me anything about the US Health Dept. public pool regulations. Not a clue! It's very apparent to ME that NCL could care less about potential health hazards in any of their pools, especially the kiddie ones which seem to be so popular.

So, if you don't care about health hazards and want to plop your non-toilet trained child into any pool at will, by all means, book a cruise on NCL!! As long as there is no DIAPER, you'll be fine! No monitoring, and kiddies can pee and poop at will in ANY pool! And everyone can enjoy it! (Whether they want to or not). Oh - NCL empties and re-fills their salt water/chlorine pools every night, but no monitoring during the 10 hours they're open during the day - while cruising. And which pools are filled with lots of people. And poopy babies.

This is really disgusting!! My kids took swimming lessons at the local Y pool, and we had a membership for YEARS with a neighborhood pool. We have a small - but very nice - condo pool (which we pay for). NEVER were kids allowed into these pools unless they were potty-trained! Our neighborhood pool had a $100 fine for "an accident" PLUS the cost of draining, cleaning, and re-filling the kiddie pool...which had to be closed for two days. Poop was a problem back in the 80s!! And it still is today.

I've cruised on NCL nine times (until 2003). I will NEVER cruise on NCL again until they recognize and fix the problem. However, as of today, baby poop and pee are still welcome onto any NCL ship's pools.

All I will speak for is the EPIC. The areas they have for tiny ones is a splash area. no standing water....that being said I can not speak for urine going in the drain and being recycled, but I would have to believe anything else would be obvious. While I think they should have paid a few more dollars and put in a filtration system similar to Disney or RCCL I am hesitant to get too excited about the issue since I am quite sure many senior adults clad in depends are using adult pools on a regular basis. I guess the moral of the story is if you have a community pool phobia, stay out of them.

All I will speak for is the EPIC. The areas they have for tiny ones is a splash area. no standing water....that being said I can not speak for urine going in the drain and being recycled, but I would have to believe anything else would be obvious. While I think they should have paid a few more dollars and put in a filtration system similar to Disney or RCCL I am hesitant to get too excited about the issue since I am quite sure many senior adults clad in depends are using adult pools on a regular basis. I guess the moral of the story is if you have a community pool phobia, stay out of them.

Despite what you say, a splash area DOES contain standing water. Urine is not the problem. It's the poop. If babies cannot wear diapers, then "Senior Citizens" cannot wear Depends. Right? Diapers are diapers. Does NCL monitor either? No - they don't.

great review!

we are going with our 3yo dd this year on the western also

did you try taking your dd to any of the shows with you?

did you take headphones for the portable dvd player?

we always see older kids wearing them, but the 2 times we have used ours we just kept the volume just barely loud enough for dd to hear and no one complained?

not sure where to find her headphone small enough anyway...

We took her to the Legends show in the stroller and sat in the balcony. She fell asleep for a while and then woke up and enjoyed the music.

I wouldnt take a little one to the BMG since it is really loud and dark, I know my daughter would have freaked out. Although i did see a lot of other little kids there. I guess they were fine with it. You could sit on an aisle in the back in case you have to make a quick exit.

I didnt take headphones. We played the movies with the volume very low. Either way, the main dining rooms are pretty loud with people talking and the band playing at the Manhattan room, so it didn't bother anyone.

Good luck!

Thanks for the great review!

What did you do in Cozumel and Costa Maya? We will be going there on our cruise in December with our DD who will be 10 months old. Would love recommendations on baby friendly excursions.

In Cozumel, we took a cab to Paradise Beach. It was ok. A little more crowded than I would have liked. The water toys (climbing wall, trampoline, slides) are not for little kids. But, my daughter enjoyed playing with her shovel and bucket in the sand for a while. She then took a nap in her stroller and we enjoyed a little bit of relaxing. After the beach, we went back to the ship for lunch and then headed back out to explore the shops.

In Costa Maya, we took a tour with "The Native Choice" to the Chaccoben Ruins. It was about an hour ride and my daughter fell asleep on the way there. Once we got there, it was a bit challenging to keep her entertained during the tour, but we survived. :)

We took the stroller with us and she took turns running around and then I would get her back into the stroller by bribing her with a snack. :)

Have fun!

In Cozumel, we took a cab to Paradise Beach. It was ok. A little more crowded than I would have liked. The water toys (climbing wall, trampoline, slides) are not for little kids. But, my daughter enjoyed playing with her shovel and bucket in the sand for a while. She then took a nap in her stroller and we enjoyed a little bit of relaxing. After the beach, we went back to the ship for lunch and then headed back out to explore the shops.

Thanks! Hopefully we wont have the walking issue on our cruise -- but who knows!

Did the taxis in Cozumel have seatbelts in the back? Just wondering if we will be able to use our DDs car seat.

Thanks!

Thanks! Hopefully we wont have the walking issue on our cruise -- but who knows!

Did the taxis in Cozumel have seatbelts in the back? Just wondering if we will be able to use our DDs car seat.

Thanks!

One of the cabs we rode in only had one working seat belt, so I sat in that spot with my daughter on my lap. Wherever you go, there are always cabs lined up so just check the cab before getting in to make sure it has a working seat belt. If not, just get another one.

Despite what you say, a splash area DOES contain standing water. Urine is not the problem. It's the poop. If babies cannot wear diapers, then "Senior Citizens" cannot wear Depends. Right? Diapers are diapers. Does NCL monitor either? No - they don't.

Despite what YOU say... there is a section for little ones that is a splash area only with no standing water....

Does NCL monitor Senior Citizens in Depends??? No, but does ANYONE else either????

Despite what YOU say... there is a section for little ones that is a splash area only with no standing water....

Does NCL monitor Senior Citizens in Depends??? No, but does ANYONE else either????

So....what happens if/when poop appears in that splash area?

So....what happens if/when poop appears in that splash area?

I am sure someone who is obsessed with issues other than enjoying their cruise will come along and A. point it out to the pool staff B. Rush over with a paper towel and clean it up C. Jump all over the childs parent about what losers they are D. Run to Cruise Critic and alert the masses E. All the above

I am sure someone who is obsessed with issues other than enjoying their cruise will come along and A. point it out to the pool staff B. Rush over with a paper towel and clean it up C. Jump all over the childs parent about what losers they are D. Run to Cruise Critic and alert the masses E. All the above

Thanks for alerting us about the NCL general clientele! Glad that YOU will be the one to clean up poop in the pools! (Breathing sigh of relief)

I began cruising NCL in about 1988. And you? I have nine cruises. And you?

Thanks for alerting us about the NCL general clientele! Glad that YOU will be the one to clean up poop in the pools! (Breathing sigh of relief)

I began cruising NCL in about 1988. And you? I have nine cruises. And you?

Nine cruises ...thanks for the laugh sailor... I have drank more salt water than you have seen, when you get past 135 sea days in a row we can talk. Oh by the way, I refuse to pick up after YOU.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tips, I will be cruising with 5 year old and almost 11 month old on the Spirit for New Years this December and will be in an inside cabin any suggestions for me? I am curious about taking my Quinny stroller because of size but my son just loves it, do you think its too bulky? What about the crib is it big or small? I was thinking about taking the inflat able tent one? What other tours did you do on the other ports?

thanks for this info! We'll be on the Epic in Feb with a 16month old and almost 5yo. Wondering if you can tell me a little about the food. Do you remember what was on the kids menu? Did you have a hard time finding kid friendly foods?? Also, were high chairs readily available?

Archived