Trouble Brewing?

spongerob

Bob Dickinson, president and ceo of Carnival Cruise said:

‘If you stay in a New York hotel or go to Disney and look at the prices of the tickets and the popcorn and the Cokes, or Las Vegas, everything has gotten significantly more expensive.’ People generally pay 50% more for a land vacation, according to Dickinson, ‘so if our pricing went up 35%, we’d still be below land-based alternatives, and that’s assuming you could get the same level of hospitality and service on land.’

Bob Dickinson, president and ceo of Carnival Cruise said:

‘If you stay in a New York hotel or go to Disney and look at the prices of the tickets and the popcorn and the Cokes, or Las Vegas, everything has gotten significantly more expensive.’ People generally pay 50% more for a land vacation, according to Dickinson, ‘so if our pricing went up 35%, we’d still be below land-based alternatives, and that’s assuming you could get the same level of hospitality and service on land.’

Can you site a source??

Spongerob: Funny you should post that. I was just surfing around for prices in June and August. Bonehead sister took her vacation then and now wants a cheap cruise! I told her cheap and those months don't go together. Anyway, one of the sites I checked, Carnival was $1229 for a 7 day cruise, inside room. Same cruise on Crystal Harmony $1295. Now don't tell me Carnival compares with Crystal Harmony that closely. Don't get me wrong, we like Carnival and have never cruised Crystal but.....Also, on the West Coast this summer I believe I read that only Carnival and Disney are sailing to Mexican Riviera. That could be part of the price spike also. Just my thoughts.

Spongerob: Funny you should post that. I was just surfing around for prices in June and August. Bonehead sister took her vacation then and now wants a cheap cruise! I told her cheap and those months don't go together. Anyway, one of the sites I checked, Carnival was $1229 for a 7 day cruise, inside room. Same cruise on Crystal Harmony $1295. Now don't tell me Carnival compares with Crystal Harmony that closely. Don't get me wrong, we like Carnival and have never cruised Crystal but.....Also, on the West Coast this summer I believe I read that only Carnival and Disney are sailing to Mexican Riviera. That could be part of the price spike also. Just my thoughts.

Harmony will be in Alaska from June-August. She does do a MR cruise the end of Sept(cane season) for $1295, but the price of Pride is $659. So not sure how you can compare prices in this case.

My: You are right. When I put August in the month selection, it did bring up September also. We are retired and cruise basically when it suits us. I was looking for prices for my sister who has a set vacation schedule. Anyway, my point is Carnival for $1229 for an inside cabin on a 7 day cruise is not a bargain any month of the year! I guess I just spouted off because their prices are way higher this year than in the past.

Point of reference: In 1983 a 7-day Eastern Caribbean cruise on Carnival's TSS Carnivale priced out at $999/pp for the equivalent of today's Cat 1A.

Do the math. Cruising *is* vastly underpriced.

Point of reference: In 1983 a 7-day Eastern Caribbean cruise on Carnival's TSS Carnivale priced out at $999/pp for the equivalent of today's Cat 1A.

Off Topic:

Tef ~ LOVE your radio station!! Been listening to it all morning while I finish up packing for me and DH!! Thanks!!!

Stacy

My: You are right. When I put August in the month selection, it did bring up September also. We are retired and cruise basically when it suits us. I was looking for prices for my sister who has a set vacation schedule. Anyway, my point is Carnival for $1229 for an inside cabin on a 7 day cruise is not a bargain any month of the year! I guess I just spouted off because their prices are way higher this year than in the past.

I agree! I think you hit the nail on the head. Carnival(Pride) and Disney(Magic) are the only lines doing 7 day MR cruises June-August.

I would say its pretty reasonable. I wouldnt say underpriced...its a very subjective matter. And so is the riff-raff, I would rather have a few rowdy adults or *gasp* even children on board then grumps and pessismists who seem to be bothered so easily.

hoi polloi \hoi-puh-LOI\, noun:

The common people generally; the masses.

Some argue that the definite article ("the") should not be used in front of "hoi polloi," as hoi means "the" in Greek. However, "the hoi polloi" has been used since the earliest recorded instances of the term in English, and it is considered correct by most authorities.

Why would you want to drive out the "riff raff aka hoi polloi"? What makes them riff raff? Because someone wants to save money on a cruise? Makes no sense to me. Cruising is not cheap, especially when you add up all the costs. It also depends on the time of year you cruise. I would love to be able to cruise in off peak months to get the low prices that some are able to get, but because of my job I can only cruise during the peak months and pay more. If that makes me riff raff then fine. This riff raff just paid $3500 for a cruise.

My husband and I always vacation without the kids (that's what's made it a vacation ;) ), but we now want to take them on a short 4 day cruise next summer instead of renewing our vows for our 10th anniversary. We don't have a fortune to spend on our vacations. I would hope the prices don't rise so dramatically that we aren't able to afford our family trip. I think if people want to avoid the "riff raff" or commoners, then they should travel on the more high brow lines. ;)

Yes, Selurcey I know. I must remember to leave my tiara home. I went to college with some guys from Houma. I have yet to sail the Conquest. I don't like the itenarary. We sailed it when the Inspiration did that route. Too many days at sea for us. I would like to see what she looks like on the inside though. I have been to the port to see the Conquest. Quite grand!

Yes, Selurcey I know. I must remember to leave my tiara home. I went to college with some guys from Houma. I have yet to sail the Conquest. I don't like the itenarary. We sailed it when the Inspiration did that route. Too many days at sea for us. I would like to see what she looks like on the inside though. I have been to the port to see the Conquest. Quite grand!

Down here we do have pseudo-royalty so I guess some of us would qualify.:rolleyes:

I love the Conquest but prefer the Inspiration/Sensation Lido-deck configuration better. It really doesn't matter if you are with a good group of people. Been lucky so far I guess. There are T/A tours of the Conquest when she is in port just FYI. Got any last names on those guys from Houma?

What are you doing in Virginia with a name like Creole Girl?

My guess is that if they did raise the rates, they would not go up that much because the cruising public would not allow it. Many years ago I worked in the reservations office for a major airline. It would cost about $200 r/t to go from NY to Florida. Everytime they raised the price, people would stop buying until they lowered the price again. Today, that same ticket is even less than it was 15 years ago! The cruise industry has so many ships sailing(134 listed on cruisecal.com-potentially 268,000 people every week) that if they raise them too much they will sail empty. Once it sails empty it is lost money.

I'd be interested in knowing what was included back in 1983 for that cruise fare. What were the port charges? Were sodas and other things included that these days are now ala carte?

Without taking all that into account how can you make an even comparison?

Bill

We did not start cruisin until 2000, but I have heard that in the 80's, service and food was 5 *! So I do not mind paying more, if the service and food was to go back to what is used to be. Don;t get me wrong, I love what I get now for my buck..But if I was paying more?

Archived