P&O V Princess

C at Sea

A few months ago we tried a Cunard cruise and I put up a few observations. We have just arrived back from a New England cruise on the Crown Princess so I thought I'd do the same. Again I stress that they are just my observations!

Positive aspects about Princess...ship was lovely, actually not a lot different from P&O. Food as good, in some aspects better. Very much enjoyed the free creamy whipped ice cream cornets on deck! Movies Under the Stars fun with blankets and free popcorn! Service was very good. I was worried because we found the service on Cunard poor and put it down to the inbuilt tips system. Princess do the same but you wouldnt know it from the service. We liked how the waiters in the buffet area brought tea and coffee etc to your table and also the cutlery and serviettes.Entertainment good. Passengers very friendly. Mostly American and they introduced themselves when they encountered you and enjoyed chatting with you. One breakfast we sat chatting to a lovely couple from Chicago for about 2hrs!

The main negative aspects were mainly that prices were fairly high with the 15% service charges. There were certain drinks that were offered at $3+service charge after 8pm. The lower £ to $ rate doesnt help either!

The disembarkation was not the best. There were several mix ups and confusion. We were down to fly to Montreal from Quebec to get flight home. Then told we had coach to Montreal which took 3hrs! Then we were dumped in Montreal for 2hrs before being taken to the airport. Air Canada were dire! 2hr wait at checkin. 2 on desk for a huge plane load of people. Princess wouldnt give out the air locator number so couldnt prebook seats. Passengers using other airlines were able to on the ship the day before.

Our next 2 cruises are with P&O but I would travel withPrincess again especially to US or Alaska which I feel they are probably more expert with. Hope this is of interest to P&Oers who may be considering Princess.

P&O Princess Line was all the same company until they were bought by Carnival in '03, and I find them more similar than not. P&O's Grand class of ships was already in the pipe line, so you have identical ships with both companies, although the newer ones have more cabins squeezed in. The crew and ships still seem to be interchangeable...which is why Royal P. can become a P&O ship soon. I enjoy them both....in fact. I've enjoyed all 5 lines I've travelled on....and was actually thinking about trying Cunard.

Thanks for your observations.:cool:

jo.

Thanks for your thoughts. We have never cruised P&O before and are doing so in January. Having only sailed RCI before its interesting seeing how the various lines differ.

We are now thinking about booking a princess in 2012 so useful to see how they compare to P&O. Personally we love the various nationalities onboard an American ship, but like you, find the 15% added gratuity, especially on drinks a pain!

So far our Princess cruises have offered overall better service standards and food than the P&O ships we have been on.

Yes the 15% is a pain but the friendly "go the extra mile" service stands out.

But we keep trying and have booked Azura for January

Archived