Casual in Main Dining Room

ATCMickey

Thanks for being so gracious giving me a pass and all...

I've been to 16 different islands in the caribbean and been on 33 cruises to date...so I am somewhat familiar with weather in the caribbean and cruise etiquette. This is my first RCCL trip. The question hardly falls into the categories of oblivious behavior you cite above. I asked the question because I do try to show respect for my fellow cruisers and observe common protocol. I did not ask about shorts or jeans on formal night, I asked about jeans on casual night...hardly a beyond the pale question. If you take a look at my profile you'll notice I signed up w/CC 5 years ago so hardly new...don't post a lot but largely because I really dislike the snide, cynical, sarcastic responses of folks like you. If you're the welcoming committee for cruise critic, save your breath. I've found lots of really respectful, helpful folks on this forum...but responses like yours don't help motivate others to wade in. So if you don't have anything truly constructive to offer, save you pedantic arrogance for someone else.

ATCMickey

I could be wrong here but I believe his response was meant to be humorous and not sarcastic :)

Since you're basically new to Cruise Critic we'll have to give you a pass on this one. Be neat and clean bottom line. Just remember jeans are hot in the Caribbean.

Just as a heads up for future reference, topics surely to be debated ad nauseum are:

1. shorts in the MDR any time

2. jeans on formal nights

3. smoking on the ship

4. bringing alcohol on the ship

5. taking food off the ship to private stop

6. do I need a passport

7. it's my vacation, screw everyone

and many more which have been beaten to death.

Happy Cruising.

See the thread titled "RCCL question" which also asks one of those never-ending questions.

RCI isn't an "upscale" line at all.

So wear whatever you feel like wearing. You will see pax in all sorts of getups and anything goes in the MDR.

Amazing how people think that if they wear a feed sack to the MDR it is AOK as long as they wear a "nice pair of sandals with it".;)

Thanks for being so gracious giving me a pass and all...

I've been to 16 different islands in the caribbean and been on 33 cruises to date...so I am somewhat familiar with weather in the caribbean and cruise etiquette. This is my first RCCL trip. The question hardly falls into the categories of oblivious behavior you cite above. I asked the question because I do try to show respect for my fellow cruisers and observe common protocol. I did not ask about shorts or jeans on formal night, I asked about jeans on casual night...hardly a beyond the pale question. If you take a look at my profile you'll notice I signed up w/CC 5 years ago so hardly new...don't post a lot but largely because I really dislike the snide, cynical, sarcastic responses of folks like you. If you're the welcoming committee for cruise critic, save your breath. I've found lots of really respectful, helpful folks on this forum...but responses like yours don't help motivate others to wade in. So if you don't have anything truly constructive to offer, save you pedantic arrogance for someone else.

Thank you to everyone else for some truly respectful, helpful feedback. It is truly appreciated.

ATCMickey

Really, Nordic Prince wasn't being "snide, cynical, (or) sarcastic".

And he had no way of knowing about your 33 cruises.

He was basically warning you about the responses to come.

And they came. :D

Relax.

We're talking about cruising, not the collapse of the Greek economy. ;)

Really, Nordic Prince wasn't being "snide, cynical, (or) sarcastic".

And he had no way of knowing about your 33 cruises.

He was basically warning you about the responses to come.

And they came. :D

Relax.

We're talking about cruising, not the collapse of the Greek economy. ;)

:p {snicker}

See the thread titled "RCCL question" which also asks one of those never-ending questions.

That post (RCCL question) asks whether packing a tie or jacket is even necessary at all for the MDR. I agree that entering the MDR on smart casual or formal night without even a tie would be less than commonplace. The reason for asking the question was not to see what I could get away with, but to respect the common etiquette of RCCL's MDR. I thought that asking frequent cruisers of RCCL would be a good place to start. I could just as easily have contacted RCCL.

I ask this question with all sincerity...Do you really think asking whether jeans are appropriate on casual nights in the MDR on RCCL rises to your level of violating the "big 7" as identified? It seemed like a very reasonable question to me and I dine at everything from McDonalds to Mortons and have been on 9 other cruise lines...just not RCCL. From a relative outsider looking in, it sure looks as if some folks are so consumed by this topic that they look for any question they can stretch to violating that premise as an excuse to pile on.

I got the answer to my question and again thank those folks that chose to respectfully offer their input. To respond to those that view NordicPrince's response as humor...leading off with a response by saying "we'll have to give you a pass on this one" and then identifying 7 taboo questions with the implication that I've just violated one of them hardly strikes as the kind of humor I would bestow on a complete stranger attempting to ask a sincere question.

ATCMickey

Jeans are more than acceptable for casual, I have done that. I have also worn an aloha shirt and slacks for formal night. I am comfortable with it and being Hawaiian formal is more than enough for me.

I hate it when people hijack threads and turn it ugly.

That post (RCCL question) asks whether packing a tie or jacket is even necessary at all for the MDR. I agree that entering the MDR on smart casual or formal night without even a tie would be less than commonplace. The reason for asking the question was not to see what I could get away with, but to respect the common etiquette of RCCL's MDR. I thought that asking frequent cruisers of RCCL would be a good place to start. I could just as easily have contacted RCCL.

I ask this question with all sincerity...Do you really think asking whether jeans are appropriate on casual nights in the MDR on RCCL rises to your level of violating the "big 7" as identified? It seemed like a very reasonable question to me and I dine at everything from McDonalds to Mortons and have been on 9 other cruise lines...just not RCCL. From a relative outsider looking in, it sure looks as if some folks are so consumed by this topic that they look for any question they can stretch to violating that premise as an excuse to pile on.

I got the answer to my question and again thank those folks that chose to respectfully offer their input. To respond to those that view NordicPrince's response as humor...leading off with a response by saying "we'll have to give you a pass on this one" and then identifying 7 taboo questions with the implication that I've just violated one of them hardly strikes as the kind of humor I would bestow on a complete stranger attempting to ask a sincere question.

ATCMickey

Oh pish :p

i would definately "nix" the jeans, and opt for dockers

instead...and golf shirt on top would be fine.....

rccl is getting more and more casual all the time, but

jeans are still a little "out there"

we did radiance this year..and saw only 1 or 2 jeans

in casual dining...but with very very nice shirts tops ???

b.j.

Archived